Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 229 Nurmagomedov vs McGregor - Sat Oct 6th **Warning in first post!**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

dulux99 wrote: »
    Nah...telling him mid fight is a terrible look. Its like he's pleading with him to calm down.

Yeah! He's scared of him! That's why he wants the rematch! Heavens above...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,815 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

McGregor by Sub
    Sure JK was telling him to hold back, let Khabib come to him but Conor went straight out and at Khabib.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Nah...telling him mid fight is a terrible look. Its like he's pleading with him to calm down.

Give it over ffs.

He fought Floyd Mayweather and you think he gets scared during a fight??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Josh Thomson is AKAs team captain. Anything he said was vetted by Javi Mendez. If he's saying this it's because they fancy selling the rematche for another easy payday for Khabib.

Thank goodness we have you breaking down what people really mean whenever they give Conor any credit. The idea that Josh Thompson asked Mendez what he could and couldn't say on his podcast is ridiculous.

I don't think Conor would win a rematch, nor do I think he deserves one straight away. But you really do find a way to twist everything into a negative. Give it a rest, it's exhausting to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Give it over ffs.

He fought Floyd Mayweather and you think he gets scared during a fight??

He was making excuses for his actions in the middle of the actual fight. That showed to me that his confidence at that moment was gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Maybe Mystic Mac realized that he wouldn’t get a chance to say it to him afterward with Khabib about to impersonate a man with roid rage :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

McGregor by Sub
    parc wrote: »
    Not sure if this was posted but 
    https://twitter.com/jockowillink/status/1048758772917723136
    Jocko Willink explained this approach on his podcast. He's a jiu jitsu guy that's cornered a few MMA guys before. 
    He was saying the way you beat an elite wrestler is to hold back - jab, be conservative, fight a boring fight, don't commit in rounds 1-3, then pick them apart on the feet in rounds 4 and 5. 
    Essentially if you commit to heavy strikes in the beginning it gives them an opening to take you down. He said Conor went forward too much. Very interesting - from 35 mins on here 
    Striking v grappling 
    http://jockopodcast.com/
    What do you guys think?

JK was literally telling him this exact thing in the corner. Told him to stop walking him down and take space. No idea why Conor ignored it.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭parc

McGregor by Sub

Someone said earlier he said "Throwing kisses" and I thought...that's a stretch. But in the above clip it actually sounds like that. Is that a term?

If he did say "it's only business" he could have been worried that Khabib was fighting with too much emotion, and would do something reckless/unprofessional like not let go of  a submission even if he tapped. If he did say it in this way, then it does show a bit of doubt. 

Or it could be that he was fouling (grabbing the gloves), and was saying "I'm cheating, but it's only business". Who knows, maybe he'll address it

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭parc

McGregor by Sub

Someone said earlier he said "Throwing kisses" and I thought...that's a stretch. But in the above clip it actually sounds like that. Is that a term?

If he did say "it's only business" he could have been worried that Khabib was fighting with too much emotion, and would do something reckless/unprofessional like not let go of  a submission even if he tapped. If he did say it in this way, then it does show a bit of doubt. 

Or it could be that he was fouling (grabbing the gloves), and was saying "I'm cheating, but it's only business". Who knows, maybe he'll address it

Your team are bitches I heard:)

• Advertisement

Fight business. They’re only misses.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Considering how little damage McGregor has at the end of the round it might have actually been what he said.

There doesn't sound like enough words to be "It's only business" anyway.

Must ring me missus 🤔

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    Exactly . Like a schoolyard bully when he realizes things aren’t going as planned

When I in first year a lad who as a few years ahead of me kicked me in the nuts while I was walking past him, I was bigger for my age and had been boxing and practicing karate for a few years. I slapped him around the canteen while he screamed "I was only messing, I was only messing".

That's what Conor's it's only business reminded me off.

When I in first year a lad who as a few years ahead of me kicked me in the nuts while I was walking past him, I was bigger for my age and had been boxing and practicing karate for a few years. I slapped him around the canteen while he screamed "I was only messing, I was only messing".

That's what Conor's it's only business reminded me off.

Cool story...

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

McGregor by Sub
    So yeah fairly embarrassing for Conor that cant be removed.

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    moneyman wrote: »
    Thank goodness we have you breaking down what people really mean whenever they give Conor any credit. The idea that Josh Thompson asked Mendez what he could and couldn't say on his podcast is ridiculous.

I don't think Conor would win a rematch, nor do I think he deserves one straight away. But you really do find a way to twist everything into a negative. Give it a rest, it's exhausting to read.

You don't have to take down the posters of Conor on your wall just because he lose to the most dominant MMA fighter of his generation. It's ok to still be a fan. I promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    Debatable.

Joe Rogan remarked to JK it was a short enough time to get ready for the fight after two years out and JK said it was.

Debatable? He accepted the fight didn't he? He was as prepared as he could have been, he was just beaten fair and square on the night. Simple as that.

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    Gintonious wrote: »
    Debatable? He accepted the fight didn't he? He was as prepared as he could have been, he was just beaten fair and square on the night. Simple as that.

JK also remarked that they'd been preparing to fight Khabib for nearly two years since the Johnson fight because they knew it would happen eventually.

You could give Conor 5 years and he won't make up the difference between him Khabib. Khabib wins 10 out of 10 times.

No arguing he was beaten fair and square.

But if someone picks up an injury in the run up let’s say do you think they are prepared as could have been?

Not saying he had an injury but just because people accept a fight it doesn’t mean they are 100%.

• Advertisement

JK also remarked that they'd been preparing to fight Khabib for nearly two years since the Johnson fight because they knew it would happen eventually.

You could give Conor 5 years and he won't make up the difference between him Khabib. Khabib wins 10 out of 10 times.

I doubt he was preparing the last year since Mayweather to be honest.

He was doing anything but preparing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    No arguing he was beaten fair and square.

But if someone picks up an injury in the run up let’s say do you think they are prepared as could have been?

Not saying he had an injury but just because people accept a fight it doesn’t mean they are 100%.

Was he injured then or not? Saying that if someone was injured they wouldn't be prepared enough, but then saying he wasn't injured just nullifies your point.

Was he injured then or not? Saying that if someone was injured they wouldn't be prepared enough, but then saying he wasn't injured just nullifies your point.

No I’m not specifically talking about him.

My point is just because someone accepts a fight as you put it, it doesn’t mean they are prepared as much as possible come the fight.

Many factors can happen in between that can set them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

You don't have to take down the posters of Conor on your wall just because he lose to the most dominant MMA fighter of his generation. It's ok to still be a fan. I promise.

Predictable deflection. I'm anything but a Conor fanboy, been disgusted with his behaviour many times now.

We just need ricero to thank your post now and we've got a full set.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Preparing for 2 years? That would be since Alvarez fight? How is that possible, he was out of the gym for months after 205 until the mayweather fight was signed, then trained just boxing. Then he was out of the gym for months after the mayweather fight. He was only training for a few months specifically for khabib. His standup ability definitely got worse with those big layoffs but then he couldn't get his groove back as they were focusing mostly on wrestling. I know in interviews before the fight they were saying his striking was better than ever, and there wont be ring rust as conor is always in the gym, but thats just pre fight talk to get the other team worried and to not affect conors confidence.

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    spix wrote: »
    Preparing for 2 years? That would be since Alvarez fight? How is that possible, he was out of the gym for months after 205 until the mayweather fight was signed, then trained just boxing. Then he was out of the gym for months after the mayweather fight. He was only training for a few months specifically for khabib.

Hey, talk to John. He's the one who said it.

spix wrote: »
    Preparing for 2 years? That would be since Alvarez fight? How is that possible, he was out of the gym for months after 205 until the mayweather fight was signed, then trained just boxing. Then he was out of the gym for months after the mayweather fight. He was only training for a few months specifically for khabib.

He’s taking complete bs and I’d like to see a link to where JK said this.

When? Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

I think I know the part of the interview you're talking about but didn't he said he was expecting to face khabib next, not that conor was training for him for 2 years. I think its just more interview bs though, john trying to make it seem he can predict what was going to happen next but tbh he didn't have a clue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I think John was implying that they had Khabib in mind for two years, it's not like he was suggesting they were in a two year training camp. I think it's common knowledge that Conor had himself a fairly wild few months between last September and the beginning of the summer.

To fight Khabib again he needs to go Rocky training in the mountains style, the way he did for the diaz rematch

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement