Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 229 Nurmagomedov vs McGregor - Sat Oct 6th **Warning in first post!**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

dulux99 wrote: »
    I think John was implying that they had Khabib in mind for two years, it's not like he was suggesting they were in a two year training camp. I think it's common knowledge that Conor had himself a fairly wild few months between last September and the beginning of the summer.

To fight Khabib again he needs to go Rocky training in the mountains style, the way he did for the diaz rematch

Really? I'm shocked, it wouldn't be like Marcos to misrepresent what someone says to suit his agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    Hahahahahahahahhahahaha.

If he wants a rematch he should earn it.
    Anyone grasping to "money makes fight's" needs accept they can't see Conor actually earning a rematch and are banking on his star power to usurp merit. That's sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Hahahahahahahahhahahaha.

Anyone grasping to "money makes fight's" needs accept they can't see Conor actually earning a rematch and are banking on his star power to usurp merit. That's sad.

Meritocracy doesn't exist in the UFC anymore. A professional wrestler managed to have two fights in the organisation whereas top talents like Ben Askren get told to prove themselves.

In an ideal world I'd like to see Khabib vs Ferguson and McGregor vs Aldo at 155.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Hahahahahahahahhahahaha.

You do realise ufc is an entertainment business masquerading as a sport. The rankings are only there to give viewers another thing to be interested in and hype up fighters, something to give them a reason to buy. Conor already earned the rematch by getting over 2 million ppv buys and by making khabib a multi millionaire.

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    spix wrote: »
    You do realise ufc is an entertainment business masquerading as a sport. The rankings are only there to give viewers another thing to be interested in and hype up fighters, something to give them a reason to buy. Conor already earned the rematch by getting over 2 million ppv buys and by making khabib a multi millionaire.

The UFC is an entertainment businesses which is exactly why they won't let Conor get mauled by Khabib again in the next 6 months. Once that happens the McScummer bubgle has burst.

• Advertisement

The UFC is an entertainment businesses which is exactly why they won't let Conor get mauled by Khabib again in the next 6 months. Once that happens the McScummer bubgle has burst.

Losing to Khabib again is actually the best loss he could have. Already lost to the guy, oh well, onto the next one.

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    spix wrote: »
    Losing to Khabib again is actually the best loss he could have. Already lost to the guy, oh well, onto the next one.

Where does he go? He's never making 145 again. He's not moving up while he's being slapped around by the 155 champion. Where does he go?

Where does he go? He's never making 145 again. He's not moving up while he's being slapped around by the 155 champion. Where does he go?

Where ever he'd go with his next fight now if it wasn't a khabib rematch (which I think it will be). Nate rematch is the most likely one, or the #2 lightweight then Nate if he loses that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

He should have just stook at 145 and took the easy life like aldo.

No one can doubt him stepping up to bigger fights after he won that title at 145.

I don't know McGregor personally but I reckon from how I've heard his mind works, taking a fight against anyone other than Khabib will show weakness in him so I do think it'll be Khabib next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

If he drops two in a row to Khabib he moves on and fights Diaz again or he fights GSP, regardless of how we all think it'll go or if he's lost twice to Khabib both fights will sell easily to all of the more casual fan base in the US/Canada.

I don't want to see him fight Khabib in a rematch yet, want Ferguson to get the shot and would like McGregor to go fight any of Poirier, Pettis, Aldo (at 155), Lee, Barboza and if Max was to lose to Ortega that rematch is there as well at 155. Go win two and go back for the Khabib rematch. That likely won't happen though.

Hell he could lucky and Khabib could break down again with injuries and call it a day or be on the shelf for a year plus.

Dana already has an easy ready made excuse to not make Khabib vs Ferguson - they've scheduled that fight four times and its never happened. He'll spin that one til the cows come home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Hahahahahahahahhahahaha.

This is it. You continually think in terms of Conor. Most posters are just pointing out the way the UFC works and why. I'm not saying Conor deserves anything. Deserve and sport have nothing to do with it. It's a business that makes decisions based on money. How hard is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    No I’m not specifically talking about him.

My point is just because someone accepts a fight as you put it, it doesn’t mean they are prepared as much as possible come the fight.

Many factors can happen in between that can set them back.

Im not disagreeing with you.

But why would he accept a fight with not enough time to prepare? Especially as he was seen as the main attraction in all of this.

Doesn't make sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,275 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If he wants a rematch he should earn it. Anyone grasping to "money makes fight's" needs accept they can't see Conor actually earning a rematch and are banking on his star power to usurp merit. That's sad.

Have a look at the top 15 ppv's of all time, there are at least four UFC fights in there and they all have one thing in common which is that Conor McGregor fought in the main event.
    He is the biggest draw and Dana White loves money, it's that simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Gintonious wrote: »
    Im not disagreeing with you.

But why would he accept a fight with not enough time to prepare? Especially as he was seen as the main attraction in all of this.

Doesn't make sense to me.

Over confidence surrounded by yes people.

McGregor by Decision
    JK also remarked that they'd been preparing to fight Khabib for nearly two years since the Johnson fight because they knew it would happen eventually.

You could give Conor 5 years and he won't make up the difference between him Khabib. Khabib wins 10 out of 10 times.

I'd give Conor at least 1 win /10 with a punchers chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    Over confidence surrounded by yes people.

This I would agree with 100%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

McGregor by Sub
    Good video! Details everything that happened and who from all angles. See McGregor caught khabibs cousin with a few sweet lefts and wobbled him. It all started with Khabibs team member pushing danis in the crowd.

https://youtu.be/BUXJlreM4zQ

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

McGregor by Sub
    Yeah, that's one of the better videos on it.

Interesting part about Khabib's old t-shirt. He wore it Brazil in 2013 at the weigh in for his fight against Tavares:

203555_54_news_hub_173775_656x500.jpg

Which gives this post from Danis last week (which appears to take the piss out of it) some context:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bof28P2la2N/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

• Registered Users Posts: 18,049 ✭✭✭✭rob316

That's class. Putin a great speaker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    1Ru13ay.gif

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Billy Mays wrote: »
    1Ru13ay.gif

How did Herb not see that?????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    What were people's opinions on Herb Dean's performance? He is getting a huge amount of abuse online.

IMO I thought it was ridiculous that McG didn't receive an official warning or.have a point deducted.

I don't blame McG as a fighter, except for the illegal knee which was nasty, because he is just trying to survive but the ref is meant to actually ref the fight. A lot of McGs success with Khabib wrestling was due to holding the shorts and gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Boy2zCpn_m_/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=12vr6etbw0m1x

Khabib says he will walk if ufc punish his team

Artem got his fight cancelled for his involvement in bus incident? Didn't he?

In fairness, it was only McGregor who threw something through a bus? NOt the rest of the team. They didn't hit anyone either? Or I might be wrong on that - not on video anyway?

JJayoo wrote: »
    What were people's opinions on Herb Dean's performance? He is getting a huge amount of abuse online.

IMO I thought it was ridiculous that McG didn't receive an official warning or.have a point deducted.

I don't blame McG as a fighter, except for the illegal knee which was nasty, because he is just trying to survive but the ref is meant to actually ref the fight. A lot of McGs success with Khabib wrestling was due to holding the shorts and gloves.

Agreed. McGgrego has to do what he has to do. If he is getting way with it he'll keep doing it.

Very poor from Herb. He has been off a while now...

He was happy enough to see CB Dalloway almost get killed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭EoineyM

dave1982 wrote: »

Wow, very interesting move by Khabib. Really puts it up to the UFC. Putin probably told him he will sort him out for the money if UFC dont pay out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement