Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 229 Nurmagomedov vs McGregor - Sat Oct 6th **Warning in first post!**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

I see a lot of dear souls are offended or embarrassed by McGregor's pre-fight talk - such parental-minded dears! -

Clearly McGregor doesn't go far enough. He needs to up it. He needs to start going to people's houses and follow them on nights out. Clearly.

Isn't that what Greatest did?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdtfhXi5_74

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭xtal191

McGregor by Sub
    Some lad on Sherdog translated an interview with Khabib on Russian TV, worth a read if you're bored

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/khabib-big-post-fight-interview-conor-didnt-dare-to-look-me-in-the-eye-i-knew-that-i-broke-him.3848565/

McGregor by Sub
    Kevin Lee's trainer on the nonsense after the fight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

xtal191 wrote: »
    Kevin Lee's trainer on the nonsense after the fight

That Dewey Cooper's had a downer on McGregor a long time, I've never not seen him pick his opponent the winner .......he must be a regular poster on here

sonofenoch wrote: »
    That Dewey Cooper's had a downer on McGregor a long time, I've never not seen him pick his opponent the winner .......he must be a regular poster on here

Surely, Kevin Lee can do better. I think Dewey took too many shots during his Kickboxing and boxing career, particularly during his Kickboxing career. Seems like he still has concussion

• Advertisement

Some lad on Sherdog translated an interview with Khabib on Russian TV, worth a read if you're bored

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/khabib-big-post-fight-interview-conor-didnt-dare-to-look-me-in-the-eye-i-knew-that-i-broke-him.3848565/

These accusations are quite serious:

'I had a camp consisting of 20 people with me (for the Iaquinta fight). We have rented our own bus go get to practice and back. You know what's interesting? UFC told me that day that I must ride alone for the media day. So I didn't go with my team, I went with all the fighters from the "red corner". I had with me two people, one of my guys and my manager. (22:28 Khabib points to the footage) Look at this carefully, the bus is going out and all of a sudden it stops and backs up. Why? We were almost out. Now you see that the crowd is running at us. What is the bus driver doing? He is suppose to just get out of here, but he stops and goes back.

I have many questions about that whole situation. I don't know if UFC planned this or not. So they started attacking the bus from all sides, there were about 20 of them. And there were about 10 guards from UFC and most of them are going after Conor. I'm about 70% certain that it was all planned by the UFC. I wanted to get out, this is confirmed by all the fighters that were on the bus. This whole incident lasted about 1,5 - 2 minutes.

This incident leaves me with a lot of questions.'

• Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I believe it was planned too but McGregor took it too far.

rob316 wrote: »
    I believe it was planned too but McGregor took it too far.

Okay, let's say it was planned. That is scary. And Khabib is pointing out some very good points - It could be just coincidental or could have been organised...

So, if Khabib is right and the UFC are intent on going down a WWE Entertainment format where they are videoing backstage **** and 'reality' moments. If this was staged and worked - generating 2.4 PPV - why would they stop doing it?

What's next filming fighter's having affairs? Staging affairs backstage?

What's next? Lesnar being held back by Herb and Big John as he makes his way to hit Cain over the head with a steel chair as he fights DC for the title?

No, i can't believe this was staged. The ramifications of that are insane... and yet I wouldn't put it past the UFC...

Was the whole Khabib and Artem thing staged?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Herb Dean has posted 2 videos about why he didn't do anything about Conor's rule breaking during the fight.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bo67duMhZaU/?taken-by=herbdeanmma

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bo69ppahG2J/?taken-by=herbdeanmma

• Registered Users Posts: 12,837 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I see a lot of dear souls are offended or embarrassed by McGregor's pre-fight talk - such parental-minded dears! -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdtfhXi5_74

I wonder at all his trash talk nonsense. Kavanagh saying he's like the the smartest kid in the class, always cutting you down with a smart remark.

"Bang of shìte of your da"

Really?

His grammar is terrible and his use of language is appalling. I haven't heard anything witty or clever coming from him only a heap of expletives.
    He'll hardly go down in history as one of the greatest irish story tellers.

• Advertisement

mfceiling wrote: »
    His grammar is terrible and his use of language is appalling. I haven't heard anything witty or clever coming from him only a heap of expletives.

Ah, no..he's a modern Oscar Wilde according to some here..

"Who the fook is that guy!"..

Hilarious allegedly..

mfceiling wrote: »
    I wonder at all his trash talk nonsense. Kavanagh saying he's like the the smartest kid in the class, always cutting you down with a smart remark.

"Bang of shìte of your da"

Really?

What appeals to the masses is not always going to be poetry. Quite the opposite. And I don't think it's his trash talk that makes him popular.

If anything proper grammar and use of language will make you unpopular. I'd be fairly sure of that...

Rap music or mumble rap is extremely popular - wouldn't be the go-to for grammar somehow...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Ah, no..he's a modern Oscar Wilde according to some here..

"Who the fook is that guy!"..

Hilarious allegedly..

The humour in that moment was derived from delivery and timing. It was funny. Lighten up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

I seem to remember him being mildly funny in his earlier press conferences and he was good for a post match sound bite like "We're not here to take part, we're here to take over" etc etc

But he is now an embarrassment to listen to, the Khabib stuff was pathetic and he got what he deserved for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

threein99 wrote: »
    I seem to remember him being mildly funny in his earlier press conferences and he was good for a post match sound bite like "We're not here to take part, we're here to take over" etc etc

But he is now an embarrassment to listen to, the Khabib stuff was pathetic and he got what he deserved for it.

He was hilarious up as far as mayweather then it stopped being funny

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Calltocall

He was hilarious up as far as mayweather then it stopped being funny

Agreed, that was the turning point to a downward spiral in his trash talking and career as a fighter yet his bank balance has since soared, the trash talking has to have some wit and he used to have that but it’s like he’s lost himself in the past two years the khabib presser for me was the lowest point ‘it’s on the canvas etc’’ bang of ****e off ya, I really felt embarrassed for him and was car crash

I know he won’t care what people think but we all became interested in mcgregor because of his ability as a great fighter and also his wit, he still had some sort of humility likes of after the aldo fight apoligising telling him we’ll go again but that Conor is gone now, now we’re left with a whiskey salesman who’s trash talk is no longer funny or believable, if you look at the year he had after mayweather the constant partying etc that has to take a toll on you physically and mentally and I think the mental impact of that lifestyle is actually quite evident, his face pre fight with khabib said it all.

I think if he can’t get his fight game back on track and loses his next fights, yes he will go off into the sunset with his millions but I suspect it will eat him into his later years that he wrecked his legacy as a great fighter as I believe that is hugely important to him, I hope this defeat will get him to knuckle down and focus on what he did best, fighting, and drop the bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Porthallian

McGregor by Sub
    cliggg wrote: »
    Herb Dean has posted 2 videos about why he didn't do anything about Conor's rule breaking during the fight.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bo67duMhZaU/?taken-by=herbdeanmma

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bo69ppahG2J/?taken-by=herbdeanmma

Much respect to him for finally addressing the fouls. However I disagree with his assessment. He's saying the fouls didn't affect Khabib enough to warrant giving warnings or deducting points.

I think Khabib could have finished Conor sooner. Probably in the 2nd round.

It's easier in hindsight to say it didn't effect the fight, but if Conor had KO'ed Khabib in Rd 2 then it would have been a huge factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    His reasoning there is absolute bollocks. He either saw the fouls or he didn't and if he did, he should have warned and then or penalised. The only strike of any significance Conor landed was the knee to the head while he was getting mauled, that should have been a point deducted, especially after multiple instances of glove hooking, shorts grabbing and locking his toes in the cage. If that had of hurt Khabib and caused a doctor or Herb to intervene and end the fight it's a disqualification. It's an intentional foul in the hopes of hurting Khabib because he was getting dominated, the minimum it should have been was a point off.

McGregor by Sub
    Didn't Conor knee him in the head just as Khabib was going for a kimura? Prob would've broke his arm if he didn't knee him

Its ridiculous the amount of times he fouled in the fight

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    Didn't Conor knee him in the head just as Khabib was going for a kimura? Prob would've broke his arm if he didn't knee him

Its ridiculous the amount of times he fouled in the fight

Ya he had the Kimura and he was calling for Dana, could have been snap time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,376 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

JJayoo wrote: »
    Ya he had the Kimura and he was calling for Dana, could have been snap time.

Has anyone seen a video online of that part?
    I made a note during the fight to get a better look at the kimura. But it hit lost in the ruckus

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    Mellor wrote: »
    Has anyone seen a video online of that part?
    I made a note during the fight to get a better look at the kimura. But it hit lost in the ruckus

https://youtu.be/463Irmp9j_k

From 2 mins on

Don't know how that illegal knee didn't Split Khabibs face

JJayoo wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/463Irmp9j_k

From 2 mins on

Don't know how that illegal knee didn't Split Khabibs face

Wow - all those shots from Khabib and he really didn't do much damage to Conor. Conor's right. They are kisses.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭average hero

Having looked back at everything now, a number of things are as plain as day. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

In the run-up to the fight, it became more and more evident that Conor's antics weren't eliciting the reaction that Conor wanted. While Khabib was obviously emotional and that was evident post-fight, Conor didn't get into his head the same way he did Aldo or perhaps Poirier. In actuality, it lit a fire in Khabib and made him sharper whereas Conor was freaked when he saw neither fear nor frustration in Khabib.

I think Conor knew in his heart-of-hearts that this was going to be his toughest fight ever. His walk-out didn't have the usual swagger, during the ring announcements, his timing for his showboating was off and he was looking around at the stare-down as Herb explained the rules. This is in stark contrast to previous fights where he was laser-focused.

During the fight, Conor actually did quite well in rounds 1 and 3. Rounds 2 and 4 he was clearly dominated however. His groundwork was quite good defensively against one of the greatest grapplers ever. The one 'issue' is that his punches didn't have that 'pop' that they usually seem to have.

I don't have any issue with Conor saying it was 'only business' or fouling when he was in that kimura-lock. It is not sportsmanlike no, but neither is what Khabib would have definitely done to his shoulder. Who would not have tried everything to stop a possibly career-ending injury in that circumstance? It is the referee's job to ref it fair and square.

While being a big Conor fan, I was disappointed in some of the stuff Conor said pre-fight. There is no point in a rematch for me. He was clearly dominated by the better fighter and he would probably lose a rematch.

He has himself set up with his Floyd money, his whiskey business and can do what he likes. His heart doesn't seem to be in it any more. Best of luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

He has himself set up with his Floyd money, his whiskey business and can do what he likes.

He's set up with the Floyd money alright, but he's going to have to work to keep the whiskey business afloat.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I don't usually find the some guy blags his way into such and such event funny but some guy ran into the cage during the melee and it's pretty funny

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1052341990791278592

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Effects wrote: »
    He's set up with the Floyd money alright, but he's going to have to work to keep the whiskey business afloat.

I reckon all that work will be done for him. He's the face of the company, he's there for the instagram posts. He probably has some serious industry knowledge behind him doing the actual work. Look at the tour he's on now, texas, LA and so on visiting distributors. The crowd he's in with obviously know the whiskey game quite well already.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If he lost his next fight and packs it in, surely that kills his brands. Who wants to buy stuff branded by a former fighter? If he did pack it in, the only route I could see for him to stay relevant is WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,011 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

rob316 wrote: »
    If he lost his next fight and packs it in, surely that kills his brands. Who wants to buy stuff branded by a former fighter?

1*CcCy2g9kOcFpXKHw0f9I2A.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Draw
    Cormier reckons Mcgregor did ok against Khabbib but doubts he could do any better.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/10/16/17981400/ufc-daniel-cormier-conor-mcgregor-did-as-good-as-he-could-do-khabib-nurmagomedov-ufc-229-mma-news

If there is one fighter who is greatly familiar with Khabib Nurmagomedov’s skill set, it is long-time teammate Daniel Cormier. The UFC double-champion has been helping “The Eagle” hone his skills further at the American Kickboxing Academy in San Jose, alongside other champion caliber fighters like Cain Velasquez and Luke Rockhold.

Cormier went on The MMA Hour on Monday to discuss Khabib’s performance against Conor McGregor at UFC 229 a week ago, and how he thought the Irishman handled himself during the fight.

“Honestly man, that first takedown, I was like wow, he really made [Nurmagomedov] work for this takedown,” Cormier said (via MMA Fighting). “Because this is what we say at AKA — we try to get you lost in the sauce. We want to get you lost in the sauce, right? Like, when we’re on a leg, we want to give you one [takedown attempt]; okay, you’ll defend; two, you’ll defend; three, then you start going, ‘okay, wait a minute,’ then you start to get lost.”

“You get lost in all the different transitions, from to move to move to move, and eventually we get you down. And once we get you down, obviously it’s very difficult to get back up.”

“[McGregor] didn’t get lost in it. Like, Khabib had to go to level four to get that first takedown. He went high crotch, he went crackdown, he went ‘try to get the angle,’ he tried to run the pipe, then he actually had to go to his knees, look across the back to get to a double just to get Conor down the first time. Conor didn’t get lost. He really did a good job, and that’s why if you’re Team McGregor, there’s cause for concern, because I don’t know if he could do that any better and he still got beat in the way that he got beat.”

While he was complimentary towards McGregor’s performance, “DC” says it is likely the best effort that “The Notorious” can give.

“That’s why, I think if you’re Team McGregor, you’d be concerned about a fight with Nurmagomedov, because I don’t think he could defend any better,” he said. “I thought that was as good as [he could do], because he did a good job and I don’t know if he could do it any better … because then [Khabib] is going to go to level five, and he going to go to level six, and he’s going to just keep putting different things behind each other until eventually you kinda can’t keep up. That’s what Henry Cejudo does. That’s what he did to DJ a couple times to get those takedowns.”

From their end, Team McGregor is determined to even the score. In fact, SBG Dublin head coach John Kavanagh is already planning a “Rocky 3” style training camp to prepare for the possible rematch.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement