Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Collinswood, Whitehall - opinions

• 17-09-2018 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm considering buying a property in Colinswood, Whitehall Dublin 9. I've done a viewing and I really like the house and the area. I checked out local pub - Beaumont House and it's grand. I work in Eastpoint so the commute would be easy based on the fact that I cycle 15km at the moment.

My main concerns / questions are:

1. Thornwood - reading some articles form 2016 there was a dispute about social housing in the neighbouring estate. How has that ended? Is the anti-social behaviour a problem in this area?
    2. Is that a good place to raise a family? Would you recommend any Creche, primary schools in this area? I presume that we would be in the catchment area for good secondary schools near Glasnevin - is that correct?
    3. Wondering if the estate has some sort of community feel / forum ?
    4, There is a post on this forum suggesting very poor build quality of Collinswood. I haven't spotted that when I was there but can anyone confirm this?

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭borus22222

Anyone? Please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭DubCount

I think its a very nice area. Would not expect much anti-social behaviour. St. Fiachra's primary school is very good.

If I was looking for negatives, I'd say the gardens are generally small and there seems to be lots of competition for on-street parking.

Overall, I'd be a fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Not sure if it's in the catchment for fiachras, check their enrolment policy on website. It's a nice estate, knew quite a few people renting there.
    Have you look at beaumont woods? Similar pricepoint. Viewied a lot of houses there and was impressed with the build quality. Lots of green space and definitely in the catchment for st fiachras which had a great rep.

We checked the Catchment area - all good. Thanks for all the responses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭GIMP

Lived there (Collinswood) for over a decade, lovely quiet save area and really accessable to Eastpoint via 14 bus. Miss the place, one thing to note the houses walls are quite thin so you can hear your neighbours.

Also I think the place needs a good pruning of the trees shrubs etc, well last time I was there it did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 thewolfisloose

I grew up in Magenta Hall, an estate across from the Omni Shopping Centre. I have fond memories of Fiachra's and playing football for Colmcille's.

The woods (Santry Demense) is a lovely big park. Great for a jog or bringing the dog for a walk.

San Sans has a special place in my heart (Capital spare ribs and special fried rice yuuuuup).

The only areas with a bit of stigma up my way were Oak park / Woodlawn which is just out of kicking distance for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Saints#33

We'd 9 years up there and it's a lovely area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,416 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Collinswood is a bit of a strange estate in a few way. Built on an old veterinary lab/farm. The reason for the hilly grass areas is literally from the excavation they need for the foundations because of the animal waste. That is why you see the hills dip around the trees. Nothing to worry about but some history for you.

It is a quiet area off from any through traffic and main road which makes it pretty quite. No local trouble but as mentioned the recent estate close by is all social housing which some say will bring trouble when the children become teenagers.

Well serviced by shops, schools, colleges and a hospital. You have a pick of several primary and secondary schools for boys and girls. Glasnevin schools have a reputation as good but that is wholly true as many pupils are from neighbouring areas with many social issues. Like all parents you would have to watch who they are friends with.

Here is they thing I think is strange about Collinswood and that is the price. The properties command about €15-20k on houses very close by. For that price difference in Collinswood you get a smaller house that isn't as well built with a smaller garden. All the same things apply to the other houses close by with maybe the exception of through traffic but that only applies to some of the houses. I think people could buy the older larger house spend the money on it and get a better property and increase value. If you could get something on Celtic Park/Collins Park you could do well as there is only a wall separating them from Collinswood

You will always be able to rent it out as it is close to the hospital and colleges so should retain it's value well. Good to know if you ever get stuck.

Thank you for all your time. We really appreciate that. We currently bidding on the house there. Fingers crossed.

Advertisement