Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow Wired Network at Home

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

It could be the NAS. What make and model is it? To test the NAS speed copy a large file from the NAS to your laptop and take note of the speed it transferring at once it settles. Make sure both are using wired not wireless

Did you do a speedtest on the Shield? You can get the speedtest app for the Shield from the Aptoide store
    https://en.aptoide.com/

Yes, i installed the speedtest apk on the shield. Gave me the full eir fibre speed 75mbps.

I will test the nas tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

It would also help diagnosis if you gave more detail about what you are trying to do.

You say you're trying to play files from your NAS.

Are you using serving software on the NAS like Plex or similar?

What OS is on the NAS?

What app are you using on the Shield to try to play files?

Could you post a MediaInfo report of one of the files that you are trying?

https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

My NAS is a synology Ds216j. Has its own OS

ON the shield I use both plex, or else MX player to play the files.
    In the case of Plex the shield is both the client and server and I have it setup to pass through the files with no transcoding.
    If using MX Player I have to use a file browser first to navigate to the NAS share.
    MediaInfo report attached.

I also connected the laptop in the sitting room and transferred a file from the NAS.

See image attached of transfer speeds. Not sure how I can replicate that with the Shield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

There doesn't seem to be any issue with the speed of the NAS, it's close enough to maxing your 100mbit Ethernet (100 ÷ 8 is 12.5 MB/s)

My NAS is a synology Ds216j. Has its own OS

ON the shield I use both plex, or else MX player to play the files.
    In the case of Plex the shield is both the client and server and I have it setup to pass through the files with no transcoding.
    If using MX Player I have to use a file browser first to navigate to the NAS share.
    MediaInfo report attached.

I also connected the laptop in the sitting room and transferred a file from the NAS.

See image attached of transfer speeds. Not sure how I can replicate that with the Shield.

It's not your network at fault anyway. You're getting pretty much top speed in that file transfer.

The file you're trying to play should not be causing issues either. The bitrate is well within your network's capabilities.

Unfortunately I don't use Plex or the Shield so I can't really give you advice on what to try. I imagine it's some configuration issue though.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the help and advice guys. Really appreciate it.

I know the thread started off with a 10mbps speedtest issue which seems to be gone for now with no explanation.
    Will keep an eye, it was a good exercise for me to understand my home network better.

I watched an 1080p mkv file last night and it streamed perfectly to the nvidia shield last night without a single stutter or network error message appearing. Those higher bitrate files normally give hassle.

I am going to replace the switch anyway, might as well have gigabit all the way through for the devices that do support it and not have a bottleneck half way for no reason.

To keep things interesting though I have a separate, intermittent eir wifi issue which I will post in a new thread for those who fancy another challenge! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Correct me if I am wrong...
    Current link in sitting room (max theoretical) is 100Mbps(due to 10/100 switch in use) and is acting as backbone to main(Eir) router. All other(from image look like all 7 ports populated) devices + WiFi devices have to share this 100Mbps link. Theoretically 100/7. If NAS connected to Eir router and multiple devices attempt to stream from it simultaneously + internet traffic.....

In case switch is upgraded to 1000Mbps that backbone will have more room to breath.

ED E wrote: »
    the electrician did two ports per cable which means 10Mb each anyways!
    I know you can split four(4) pair to two ports using two(2) pair for each and get two 100 Mbps instead of 1000Mbps. How do you do 10 Mbps?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Current link in sitting room (max theoretical) is 100Mbps(due to 10/100 switch in use) and is acting as backbone to main(Eir) router. All other(from image look like all 7 ports populated) devices + WiFi devices have to share this 100Mbps link. Theoretically 100/7. If NAS connected to Eir router and multiple devices attempt to stream from it simultaneously + internet traffic.....

In case switch is upgraded to 1000Mbps that backbone will have more room to breath.

Or as a quick test connect the NAS directly to the switch and avoid using the Eir box at all for local streaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Its actually pretty hard to max out 100mb through normal household use, let alone when the internet link is 70mb max. You could run a 100+ cloud based users off a office with a 70mb link easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Its actually pretty hard to max out 100mb through normal household use, let alone when the internet link is 70mb max. You could run a 100+ cloud based users off a office with a 70mb link easy.
    Streaming video can be very bursty, especially if it's file sharing rather than streaming. That switch wouldn't have very deep queues so wouldn't deal with that very well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ahh now Cuddles.

User has a NAS. Standard single disk I/O is about 120-140MB/s now so maxing out GIGABIT is a problem never mind 100Mb (locally).

Also, youtube preloads at 90+ Mb for me in 4k.
    I know you can split four(4) pair to two ports using two(2) pair for each and get two 100 Mbps instead of 1000Mbps. How do you do 10 Mbps?

That was a brainfart. 1000->100 but not 100->10 (100 only uses 2 pair)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Kind of had feeling it was bleep :D

Again, not clear to me: OP states speed about 10Mbps and later provides screenshot of file transfer at 11MB(~88Mbps)
    Pointing towards 10/100 backbone link limits.

Kind of had feeling it was bleep :D

Again, not clear to me: OP states speed about 10Mbps and later provides screenshot of file transfer at 11MB(~88Mbps)
    Pointing towards 10/100 backbone link limits.

The switch ports are connected to Ethernet wall jacks that the OP said were in the majority not used.
    All the network cables terminate in the hall into a network switch. An ebay looking job, Newlink 10/100 8 port.
    So even though every room has a socket, the only other ethernet socket really used is the one in the sitting room the connect all the av equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

ED E wrote: »
    Ahh now Cuddles.

User has a NAS. Standard single disk I/O is about 120-140MB/s now so maxing out GIGABIT is a problem never mind 100Mb (locally).

Also, youtube preloads at 90+ Mb for me in 4k.

That was a brainfart. 1000->100 but not 100->10 (100 only uses 2 pair)

They will scale up because they can, that's the point of TCP. Even if he was playing the movies while 4 people were streaming, average usage would be 30-40mb over a hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Looking at my own network, I've seen no speed problems even though my Shield and EirTV box are connected to a 100mb switch (and 2 other switches and a powerline adapter before getting to the internet). We'd be frequently be streaming Netflix or Plex from the NAS while the TV is recording without problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Looking at my own network, I've seen no speed problems even though my Shield and EirTV box are connected to a 100mb switch (and 2 other switches and a powerline adapter before getting to the internet). We'd be frequently be streaming Netflix or Plex from the NAS while the TV is recording without problem.

I have had 5 separate streams to five different clients served by one 100Mb/s device (most of those in HD) through 100Mb/s switches without any problems.

Advertisement