Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indoor Aerial

Options
  • 17-09-2018 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭

Can anybody recommend an indoor aerial that picks up Saorview in Dublin 15, Mulhuddart specifically?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 ilsilenzio

Had a spare, small fairly new tv which I set up in the kitchen. Before looking for an aerial (main one was impractical) I discovered that 20 feet or so of Coax cable (standard aerial cable) worked "pretty" well on most Saorview channels. Tried various combinations / layouts, but not really satisfactory.

Bought a One for All indoor amplified aerial on basis that if it did not work that I would return it. Was Model SV9215 for €30. It works to about 95% efficiency, ie occasional breakup for a second or two, but most acceptable. I must be in a strong signal area (near Roselawn). Getting all Saor TV channels and Radio Stations. Breakup in signal could be due to electrical interference or whatever.

If you read some of the posts on these aerials their efficiency is hotly debated, but am quite happy. Perseverence in trying different positions (near window, best) is recommended.

If you stand with left foot in a bucket of water, right foot on chair, right thumb in left ear and aerial balanced on head all should be well !!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 ilsilenzio

Meant to say, I, 50 or so years ago, regularly walked on ridge tiles from one chimney to another on two storey houses helping to erect old fashioned aerials. But then there was no colour to worry about. "snow"/ ghosting was the problem. Communication consisted of shouting up/ down chimney--"right a bit/ left a bit--- point it in the direction of Derry or even Scotland. That was before RTE and when BBC was picked up from Scotland or Wales. History lesson over. !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

Can anybody recommend an indoor aerial that picks up Saorview in Dublin 15, Mulhuddart specifically?

Bunny ears from an old portable tv worked perfectly...

Looked odd - so I bought a very short stubby antanae that a guy in Fairyhouse sells every week - 15 euros - also used a non-amplified "one for all" on another tv.

“Roll it back”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Saorview is directional. You need a one of these in the attic. Pointed at the mast.

https://www.satellite.ie/acatalog/Saorview-aerials.html

If a regular aerial isn't working for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

beauf wrote: »
    ...You need.....

That's the official position allright - but the cheaper and easier to install stubby antennas beside the tv very often work just as well for many...

For under a tenner - best try it before running cables to the attic.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

beauf wrote: »
    Saorview is directional. You need a one of these in the attic. Pointed at the mast.

https://www.satellite.ie/acatalog/Saorview-aerials.html

If a regular aerial isn't working for you.

...ahem...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

You need a Uhf Antenna outside or up in your attic pointing at three rock, they are very cheap and you get a great picture quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

I bought one of these antennas recently and it works perfectly.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073Q1CQP9/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_1
    How it works for you will be dependant on where your TV is located with respect to windows and so on. In my case, I placed the antenna close to the window facing towards Three Rock (37km away).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I bought one of these antennas recently and it works perfectly.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073Q1CQP9/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_1
    How it works for you will be dependant on where your TV is located with respect to windows and so on. In my case, I placed the antenna close to the window facing towards Three Rock (37km away).

That’s the kind of one I was hoping would work. My place faces the general direction of TR mast and there are no high buildings in the immediate vicinity so hopefully that’ll work.

Advertisement