Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3rd Level Fees Tax Relief?

• 17-09-2018 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Quick one. Considering studying for a postgrad degree part-time over the next 2 years while continuing to work.
    What tax relief am I eligible for? And how can I optimise the amount of relief? (options to pay fees upfront, two instalments or monthly instalments)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Hi all,
    Quick one. Considering studying for a postgrad degree part-time over the next 2 years while continuing to work.
    What tax relief am I eligible for? And how can I optimise the amount of relief? (options to pay fees upfront, two instalments or monthly instalments)

Google is your friend.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/tax_relief_for_third_level_fees.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Cheers thanks.

Hoping to get some advice from someone who's been through the process. Have read the info on revenue.ie but still a bit confused

Cheers thanks. Hoping to get some advice from someone who's been through the process. Have read the info on revenue.ie but still a bit confused

What particular aspect(s) is/are confusing you?

(Don't want to sound patronising, but it's a pretty straightforward scheme - especially for someone contemplating doing a postgrad course!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Henryhill2

Squatter wrote: »
    What particular aspect(s) is/are confusing you?

(Don't want to sound patronising

but you do

Henryhill2 wrote: »
    but you do

Well so be it. At least I'm trying to help the OP. Are you?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

Hi OP

Again, what exactly is confusing you? I think you might be over-thinking how tax relief works or how complex it is. There is no way to maximise it or make it more efficient: you are either entitled to a relief or you aren't.

- The allowable amount of tuition fees is €7000.
    - You then disregard €1500 (this is the "disregard amount" for part-time courses such as yours).
    - The remaining amount is allowable at the standard rate of tax (which just means you divide it by 20%).

So if your postgrad costs €9000, then:
    You restrict it to €7000,
    Disregard €1500,
    Leaving you with €5500,
    Of which: €5500 @ 20% = €1100 eligible tax relief.

With regards installments, the following example is on the Revenue website:

Jane pays tuition fees for a full-time course commencing in 2014 which costs €7,000. The course runs for nine months and ends in 2015. She pays one fee instalment of €3,500 in September 2014, and the second instalment of €3,500 in January 2015.
    Jane has two options:

Option one
    She could claim relief on €7,000 for the tax year 2014.
    She must subtract the disregard amount of €2,750 from €7,000. She is left with €4,250. She is allowed tax relief of 20%, which is €850.

Option two
    She could claim relief on €3,500 in 2014 and €3,500 in 2015.
    For 2014, she must subtract the disregard amount of €2,750 from €3,500. She is left with €750. She is allowed tax relief of 20%, which is €150.
    For 2015, she must subtract the disregard amount of €3,000 from €3,500. She is left with €500. She is allowed tax relief of 20%, which is €100.
    Her total relief for Option two is €250.

That's pretty much it.

wiggle16 wrote: »
    Hi OP

Again, what exactly is confusing you? I think you might be over-thinking how tax relief works or how complex it is. There is no way to maximise it or make it more efficient: you are either entitled to a relief or you aren't.

- The allowable amount of tuition fees is €7000.
    - You then disregard €1500 (this is the "disregard amount" for part-time courses such as yours).
    - The remaining amount is allowable at the standard rate of tax (which just means you divide it by 20%).

So if your postgrad costs €9000, then:
    You restrict it to €7000,
    Disregard €1500,
    Leaving you with €5500,
    Of which: €5500 @ 20% = €1100 eligible tax relief.

With regards installments, the following example is on the Revenue website:

Jane pays tuition fees for a full-time course commencing in 2014 which costs €7,000. The course runs for nine months and ends in 2015. She pays one fee instalment of €3,500 in September 2014, and the second instalment of €3,500 in January 2015.
    Jane has two options:

Option one
    She could claim relief on €7,000 for the tax year 2014.
    She must subtract the disregard amount of €2,750 from €7,000. She is left with €4,250. She is allowed tax relief of 20%, which is €850.

Option two
    She could claim relief on €3,500 in 2014 and €3,500 in 2015.
    For 2014, she must subtract the disregard amount of €2,750 from €3,500. She is left with €750. She is allowed tax relief of 20%, which is €150.
    For 2015, she must subtract the disregard amount of €3,000 from €3,500. She is left with €500. She is allowed tax relief of 20%, which is €100.
    Her total relief for Option two is €250.

That's pretty much it.

I do tend to overthink things but thanks for breaking it down for me! Was just conscious of making a mistake and costing myself.

So just to clarify from my understanding there's no difference in if I pay €9000 in one lump sum or if I pay a sum of €9000 over 12 monthly installments? I am still eligible for the €1100 tax relief regardless as per your example above if I claim the tax relief in a single tax year eg.2019

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,674 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I do tend to overthink things but thanks for breaking it down for me! Was just conscious of making a mistake and costing myself.

So just to clarify from my understanding there's no difference in if I pay €9000 in one lump sum or if I pay a sum of €9000 over 12 monthly installments? I am still eligible for the €1100 tax relief regardless as per your example above if I claim the tax relief in a single tax year eg.2019

There is a difference if you read example above closely and see that in option one Jane got 850 TR
    Option 2 she got 250 TR.
    You might overthink but you are not over reading to be honest, as is evident by you not seeing the 850 vs 250 and asking why.

The 12 instalments over two tax years will reduce the tax relief

The disregard amount is per annum and is different for FT vs PT courses

https://www.revenue.ie/en/personal-tax-credits-reliefs-and-exemptions/education/tuition-fees-paid-for-third-level-education/how-do-you-calculate-the-relief.aspx
    What is a disregard amount?
    Each claim is subject to a single disregard amount each tax year. This amount is taken away from your total qualifying fees. You cannot receive relief on that portion of the fees.

If you have paid fees for more than one course or student, you only subtract the disregard amount once.

There are different disregard amounts for each year, and for full-time or part-time courses. see table in link above

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

There is a difference if you read example above closely and see that in option one Jane got 850 TR
    Option 2 she got 250 TR.
    You might overthink but you are not over reading to be honest, as is evident by you not seeing the 850 vs 250 and asking why.

The 12 instalments over two tax years will reduce the tax relief

The disregard amount is per annum and is different for FT vs PT courses

https://www.revenue.ie/en/personal-tax-credits-reliefs-and-exemptions/education/tuition-fees-paid-for-third-level-education/how-do-you-calculate-the-relief.aspx
    What is a disregard amount?
    Each claim is subject to a single disregard amount each tax year. This amount is taken away from your total qualifying fees. You cannot receive relief on that portion of the fees.

If you have paid fees for more than one course or student, you only subtract the disregard amount once.

There are different disregard amounts for each year, and for full-time or part-time courses. see table in link above
    Can it not be 12 installments over a single tax year to get the full amount of tax relief?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,674 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Can it not be 12 installments over a single tax year to get the full amount of tax relief?
    yes, however
    your post said
    Considering studying for a postgrad degree part-time over the next 2 years while continuing to work.
    hence my comment

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

yes, however
    your post said
    Considering studying for a postgrad degree part-time over the next 2 years while continuing to work.
    hence my comment
    Yes, however year one will already cover the max amount allowable for tax relief on a postgrad course.
    Grand sorted.

Advertisement