Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ormond Square - Smithfield

Options
  • 17-09-2018 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I am considering moving into a house in Ormond Square in Smithfield. I visited the area on Saturday morning and I wasn't too sure what to make of it.

There is a playground in the middle of the square which is quite nice and some families were there playing with their kids. But I wandered around a corner and saw a group of people doing heroin behind a row of the houses. Also there appeared to be a lot of questionable looking characters walking through the square from the Quays and back. Finally when I googled the area many news stories came up about a murder there a few years ago.

So... am I crazy to live there? There are many things going for it, its a very central location and Smithfield in general is quite a nice area but there just appears to be a few things letting it down.

Would appreciate any thoughts from people with a better knowledge of the area.

Thanks!

By the way I am specifically talking about Ormond Square as I would know Smithfield in general quite well, but would like specific views on Ormond Square.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

You've just described the vast majority of inner city Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Perzival

Ya I suppose this is just what I should expect from living in the inner city. Just wondering if it’s a particularly bad part of the inner city or one of the better areas. It’s probably somewhere in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

My experience of the area is the further you go up away from the Quays the rougher it gets. I find Smithfield a bit rough round the edges but nothing that would put me off living there.

Perzival wrote: »
    Ya I suppose this is just what I should expect from living in the inner city. Just wondering if it’s a particularly bad part of the inner city or one of the better areas. It’s probably somewhere in between.

You are behind the post office and Chancery Inn on the Quays which explains the 'characters'.

Having said that if it's a house share rather than actually buying a place I would go ahead - in general that side of the city is buzzy and up and coming, lots of good local pubs and restaurants and very handy for everywhere. I don't think there's anything particularly dangerous about the area, I walk through it all the time, albeit not Ormonde Square specifically

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Many years ago I used to walk through Ormonde Square a lot from North King St - seemed fine then and seems better now with the "green" done up very nicely. There's always going to be junkies around but they generally don't cause too much hassle.
    Actually, just remembered a mate of mine was living there for a while and she loved it, that was 20 years ago though.
    Johnny Giles was born/grew up there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I'm told Stoneybatter has become quite trendy and the blow-in's are people from the arts world etc. Would that be true? I grew up near there in the 50's and it was mainly local working-class Dubs. Around Ormond Square area you would have had a lot of the same along with dealers from the markets and other street traders most of whom have long gone now.

N.B.I just found this online:
    http://www.thejournal.ie/stoneybatter-neighbourhood-guide-2-4112038-Jul2018/

https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/our-lives-in-property-30006403/10932373/

The Youtube video was a lovely documentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

I'd call this the Markets rather than Smithfield. I walk through there late at night often and it's all right, no worse than anywhere else in the North Inner City and there's a massive rejuvenation project getting underway in the area soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    I'd call this the Markets rather than Smithfield. I walk through there late at night often and it's all right, no worse than anywhere else in the North Inner City and there's a massive rejuvenation project getting underway in the area soon.

Your right, I’m from Smithfield - Ormond square is a bit away from Smithfield - would be more the markets area and there is a lot going on in the area to bring it up- I’d say it will be lovely when it’s done - yeah you’ll have the odd scanger but you’ll get them most places especially nearer to the city center you get

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I work on Ormond Square.

I really like the area. yeah, we have had a few overdoses, a few fights but it is an inner city area so you have to expect these things. Most of the junkies are pleasant enough. I would know most of them to say hello to at this stage

I was just saying to my colleagues I would buy that house for sale in a heartbeat.

Get community spirit around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I would say you should jump at that opportunity! I wouldn't say its particularly safe but not dangerous either, just somewhere in between as somebody said. I think that area will become really nice in a few years as the nearby DIT campus opens up, and smithfield square is further developed, also a lot of hotels opening on abbey street, and the fruit markets are supposedly opening in some time in the near future. Id say ormond square will be valuable land in less than a decade

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Ormond Square used to be Dublin Corporation houses/flats. Residents probably bought them out and so can come on the market for sale. I remember them being pretty sturdy houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

I really like Ormond Square.. its quite unique and is on towns doorstep. The houses are small but would suit two adults. The playground is a great feature. You will see more antisocial carry on there than most other parts of the city.. youll either get used to it or it will wear you down..
    But like others have said the area is on the up (slowly perhaps).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Much the same as anywhere else in Dublin 1, Smithfield is a bit worse but not awful. Go to the playground a bit never had any hassel most of the dodgy bods just pass through on the way to the quays and Jonnie Giles grew up therer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

A nice quiet spot that most people don't even know exists. The only advice that I can give is to avoid the nearby Greek Street, there are some awful spots there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Perzival

Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately I have been outbid on this place so will have to continue the search!

Advertisement