Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things the city needs, and does not have currently

• 17-09-2018 4:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭

Maybe this has been done to death but, am interested in thunking what the city lacks and cound use - both social and business, environmental. Obvious ones like improved public transport etc are a given, so ive left out those.

A few to start
    (a) a good low cost youth hostel, there is none , in comparison with Ennis, Galway Cork etc. Brings and attracts a mostly young, value clientele, often travelling students etc. I remember there was some mention of one in pre planning for the old Detorris pub place on Mungret street , but never happened. Other Hostel on John street became an apartment block.
    (b) A public accessible viewpoint or lookout point at the top of one of the taller buildings in the city -overlooking the river ideally.
    (c) A good Mexican or Tex mex restaurant. Steady...
    (d) A good (large) secondhand bookshop, like Charle Byrne's . record/vinyl also.
    (e) somewhere in city centre that sells toys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

a) Marks & Spencer
    b) Monorail

/End thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

b) Monorail

I hear those things are awfully loud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

source wrote: »
    I hear those things are awfully loud.

It glides as softly as a cloud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Segregrated cycle lanes everywhere.
    Bus lanes on almost all bus routes but especially to/from Castletroy, Caherdavin and Raheen.
    People friendly, as opposed to car friendly streets.
    A Shannon River Interpretive Centre.
    More paved walkways along the river bank (up to Corbally, Longpavement, down to Corcanree)
    A rail link to Shannon Airport (especially in light of the planned population increase)
    Improved rail services to Cork and Galway.
    More residential accommodation in the city centre
    More high standard office construction in the city centre
    Demolition of some really poor quality modern buildings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭adaminho

A city central cinema, an ice rink, Greek food but most importantly ..............................a thread where Zulutango doesn't bang on about transport :):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Iang87 wrote: »
    It glides as softly as a cloud

Is there a chance the track might bend ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

Is there a chance the track might bend ?

Not on your life, my Hindu friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Not on your life, my Hindu friend.

What about us brain-dead slobs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

You'll be given cushy jobs
    Were you sent here by the Devil?
    No, good sir, I'm on the level
    The ring came off my pudding can
    Take my pen knife, my good man
    I swear it's Springfield's only choice
    Throw up your hands and raise your voice
    Monorail
    What's it called?
    Monorail
    Once again
    Monorail
    But Main Street's still all cracked and broken
    Sorry, Mom, the mob has spoken
    Monorail!
    Monorail!
    Monorail!
    Monorail!
    Mono, d'oh!

There, that's the rest of it. Yawn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Public swimming baths on the river are starting to get mentioned and would be a good addition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

zulutango wrote: »
    Segregrated cycle lanes everywhere.
    Bus lanes on almost all bus routes but especially to/from Castletroy, Caherdavin and Raheen.
    People friendly, as opposed to car friendly streets.
    A Shannon River Interpretive Centre.
    More paved walkways along the river bank (up to Corbally, Longpavement, down to Corcanree)
    A rail link to Shannon Airport (especially in light of the planned population increase)
    Improved rail services to Cork and Galway.
    More residential accommodation in the city centre
    More high standard office construction in the city centre
    Demolition of some really poor quality modern buildings

+1

adaminho wrote: »
    A city central cinema, an ice rink, Greek food but most importantly ..............................a thread where Zulutango doesn't bang on about transport :):):)

No chance of that happening :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭topcat72

100% for the city centre cinema - something I particularly miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭topcat72

The rail link to Shannon always seemed eminently fesible, given that there is apparenty a reserved strip to facilitate tis, and the Ennis Limerick line is so close. Lack of will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

topcat72 wrote:
    The rail link to Shannon always seemed eminently fesible, given that there is apparenty a reserved strip to facilitate tis, and the Ennis Limerick line is so close. Lack of will.

Will never be allowed as it would take business from Dublin airport. A direct train into a city plus the bonus of not being Dublin.

If a double track rail line was developed between Limerick and Galway, on foot of the planned population increases in both cities, and the chronic traffic situation in Galway, which is fairly unresolveable, the increasing tourism numbers in the West, etc, then a link with Shannon would make a lot of sense. The single track really is of limited benefit. Then there's the fact that there are sections that are very prone to flooding.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

topcat72 wrote: »

The 343 runs 19 times each way daily and the 51 runs 15 times each way daily direct between Colbert Station and the airport. Plus there's a dual carriageway. There isn't really a need for a train.

zulutango wrote: »
    If a double track rail line was developed between Limerick and Galway, on foot of the planned population increases in both cities, and the chronic traffic situation in Galway, which is fairly unresolveable, the increasing tourism numbers in the West, etc, then a link with Shannon would make a lot of sense. The single track really is of limited benefit. Then there's the fact that there are sections that are very prone to flooding.

It would need to be on a fresh alignment not going anywhere near Athenry and be faster than the express bus service to have any chance of being viable. I still couldn't see a spur to Shannon being viable though.

Mr.H wrote: »
    Will never be allowed as it would take business from Dublin airport. A direct train into a city plus the bonus of not being Dublin.

Shannon is pimple compared to Dublin. 1.7m passengers v 30m in 2017 and growing. They don't care what goes on in Shannon. If Limerick and Galway grow as hoped then Shannon might get to its 5m capacity, but by then Dublin will be pushing 50m.

I think it would only be feasible with the major population increases in both cities that are being planned (and even with that it might not be). If the State is serious about these population increases (and it insists that it is) then it must build adequate infrastructure. Granted the bus & motorway may sufficient to cater for the movement of people that would be expected, but rail generally comes into its own when linking high density cities. Would love to see a thorough study on it.

• Advertisement

Always to the topic on hand. I'd agree with the city centre cinema, but unfortunately I think the 3 multiplexes probably mean it wouldn't be viable.

I'd love to see an event/concert venue of about 2500-3000 capacity. There were complaints a while back that Snow Patrol did a tour, but left out Limerick. These are the types of things we're missing out on because we don't have a big enough indoor venue in Limerick. The concert hall is not really suitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

keane2097 wrote: »
    Public swimming baths on the river are starting to get mentioned and would be a good addition.

Can't see it happening. We might just about get the Council to monitor the quality of the water and that's about it.

Limerick city desperately needs some public amenities. A public pool and gym or even just a decent private one is badly needed. Some public playing courts in the centre also for playing tennis and or basketball that all the public can use. It would be great to see a playground or play area down near the river as I don't think there are enough playgrounds in the city.

An ability to have any meaningful Arts festival during the months of June, July & August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Decent football team.

osarusan wrote: »
    Decent football team.

Is a decent hurling team not good enough for ya? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

A proper functioning rail commuter service. The traffic the last 2 weeks is nuts now with schools and colleges back. The limerick to ballybrophy line is a joke. Too slow to attract people to use it. If it was upgraded even to nenaghalong with a station by thomand park LIT more people would use it. Nenagh,castleconnel etc have had a good population growth innhe last 10 years However it would be shocking expensive to do so its only a dream.There is a serious amount of students now commuting everyday due to the rental situation

Id like to see a park and ride facility on the outskirts a bit like the blackash site off the kinsale road in cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭geotrig

adaminho wrote: »
    A city central cinema, an ice rink

I've been saying it for years about the 2 above , would love to see them in the city and not in the burbs and on the dunnes sarsfield street premies , the cinema would need something different for it to attract people in so it would have to be an imax! lol :pac: if it was a large entertainment place with multiple things the better , im not sure they are sustainable in the city anymore though :(

oh and decent ,level footpaths with good stone used on the main streets , not these off slopes we have on most ! an n some better defined usable public spaces for sitting etc around the city.

There were something like 14 cinemas in the city centre before, but that was before the development of the suburbs. We've seen an emptying out of the city in the last 40 years. Better quality housing was built in the likes of Caherdavin, Corbally, Raheen and Castletroy and the people followed. It's obvious that until we provide good quality housing (in the form of apartments probably) in or near the city then the centre itself won't be able to sustain many of things we would like to see, such as cinemas, public amenities, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

panda100 wrote: »
    Can't see it happening. We might just about get the Council to monitor the quality of the water and that's about it.

Limerick city desperately needs some public amenities. A public pool and gym or even just a decent private one is badly needed. Some public playing courts in the centre also for playing tennis and or basketball that all the public can use. It would be great to see a playground or play area down near the river as I don't think there are enough playgrounds in the city.

Lots of these:

dbkUvdPVdRDandc-800x450-noPad.jpg?1509291287

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Stab*City wrote:
    Lots of these:

Is there? Where are they?

Advertisement