Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things the city needs, and does not have currently

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Mr.H wrote: »
    Strip club?

Definitely needs this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Think one opened next to The High Stool (or in there after it closed) in the early 00's. Only lasted maybe a year though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Think one opened next to The High Stool (or in there after it closed) in the early 00's. Only lasted maybe a year though.

There were two. One on Catherine St and one in the basement of the Globe. I can't remember the name of either, but neither lasted more than a few years.

Lapellos was one

KFC in the city centre would be nice

• Advertisement

KFC in the city centre would be nice

Are you mad? Chicken hut is much nicer

Mc Love wrote: »

I love both equally

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

A festival called "PurgeFest". We could run it on the June Weekend where one could purge at one's leisure. Instead of "Fashion Friday" , it could be "Flailing Friday" where Celia and her girls could be hunted down. The Purge Village could be held in Arthurs Quay Park and the culmination would take on Sunday with "The Great Limerick Purge" where all the scrotes could be hunted down and disposed of.

Would easily be worth €10m to the City.

The old dunnes stores in town is such a waste of a building the council should buy it and build flats out of it for the homeless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

The old dunnes stores in town is such a waste of a building the council should buy it and build flats out of it for the homeless

A prime spot on the Shannon with views up and down, including sarsfield bridge and over to King John’s castle and you want to build flats?

Limerick needs a new focal point in the centre. That site should be used for a major tourist or cultural centre. Some thing to attract people to the city centre. Make it a combined music/cinema/theatre/museum. Build it up a couple of stories and put panoramic restaurants and cafes on top. It would be a much better location for the rugby museum than O’Connell street.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The council can't just buy it if Dunnes don't want to sell and they don't. The council can CPO a derelict site, but Dunnes are currently taking the council to ABP to stop the council putting the site on the derelict sites resister.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I love both equally

Are you trying to incite a riot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭The_Dave

Lapellos was one
    La Chic the other (not sure of the spelling, so went with a guesstimate)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

A prime spot on the Shannon with views up and down, including sarsfield bridge and over to King John’s castle and you want to build flats?

Limerick needs a new focal point in the centre. That site should be used for a major tourist or cultural centre. Some thing to attract people to the city centre. Make it a combined music/cinema/theatre/museum. Build it up a couple of stories and put panoramic restaurants and cafes on top. It would be a much better location for the rugby museum than O’Connell street.[/QUOTE]

only said the same myself this morning. Coming in over Sarsfield Bridge or walking along Clancy Strand its so clear that this building is so badly needed to be a focal point for the city. The current idea of the rugby museum in O'Connell St, while a great idea, is very badly designed imo. Too tall and thin for surrounding buildings and half arsed above Fine's jewellers.

as a side note - how were they given permission to board up with cement the beautiful arches at the front of the new court house, and looking like its some cheap cement even at that. What's worrying too is that at Hanging Gardens at the moment look like they doing the same thing to some beautiful arches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭brianregan09

There's no proper KFC's in limerick anyway, even the ones in the UK are 100 times nicer than the 2 rubbish ones we have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

There's no proper KFC's in limerick anyway, even the ones in the UK are 100 times nicer than the 2 rubbish ones we have

Find them fine myself. The one in Galway is shocking though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

M&S would be perfect for it :pac:

Forget KFC i want a hillbillies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Limerick needs a new focal point in the centre. That site should be used for a major tourist or cultural centre. Some thing to attract people to the city centre. Make it a combined music/cinema/theatre/museum. Build it up a couple of stories and put panoramic restaurants and cafes on top. It would be a much better location for the rugby museum than O’Connell street.

That Rugby Museum (Crouch, Touch, Pause...or whatever they're calling it) is never going to happen in the planned location.
    Not looking for a row now, but let's wait a year or so and see how it pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Harasrailltub

Stab*City wrote: »
    Lots of these:

dbkUvdPVdRDandc-800x450-noPad.jpg?1509291287

still cant believe that there is not one public basketball ring in the "city of sport"

Even way smaller places like Ennis and Ballina Co.Mayo have more than one public court

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Lap dancing club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

still cant believe that there is not one public basketball ring in the "city of sport"

Even way smaller places like Ennis and Ballina Co.Mayo have more than one public court

There is a petition:

https://www.change.org/p/limerick-city-county-council-outdoor-public-sporting-facilities-for-limerick-city-county

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

Yeah because it HAS to be one or the other, we definitely shouldn't have varieties

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Jose Maria

A proper riverside park - 150 - 200 acres with all the amenities mentioned a few pages earlier - pitches, playgrounds, activities, mini zoo, botanical garden, boating lake with lots of trees, my 3 favored locations would be in no particular order

1. Westfields out to the limerick tunnel
    2. the Island field maybe crossing over to the long pavement (level St Marys park in the process)
    3. Groody Valley

Battersea park London would be a template

Arrival wrote: »
    Yeah because it HAS to be one or the other, we definitely shouldn't have varieties

Have you not seen what happened in the Burrito Wars!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

There was one in St Mary's Park, was the only one I've ever seen around but it was taken down last week and moved to Moyross.

Jose Maria wrote: »
    A proper riverside park - 150 - 200 acres with all the amenities mentioned a few pages earlier - pitches, playgrounds, activities, mini zoo, botanical garden, boating lake with lots of trees, my 3 favored locations would be in no particular order

1. Westfields out to the limerick tunnel
    2. the Island field maybe crossing over to the long pavement (level St Marys park in the process)
    3. Groody Valley

Battersea park London would be a template

You can buy my gaff for €500,000 to make a start on levelling the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Jose Maria

You can buy my gaff for €500,000 to make a start on levelling the place.[/QUOTE]

Would get you a nice gaff overlooking the park, it could be worth 500k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭dashoonage

i cant believe no one has said batman....

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Persiancowboy

Really can't believe that many posters here think that fast-food outlets somehow enhance a city/city centre......seriously??????

And as for a rail links to Shannon....there is a modern motorway linking the airport....what possible justification is there to construct a competing transport network to an airport with such a small footfall? There isn't a rail link from Dublin to the airport with some 30m annual passengers so I'm mystified as to why some people think such a development is necessary in Limerick.

I think the river offers a huge opportunity to develop amenities if the right imagination and vision are in place. If you add in additional pedestrianisation of streets around the city centre there is significant scope to improve the overall attractiveness of the city.

I agree with an earlier poster about the potential for the Nicholas Street area....i'd add in the Irishtown area as well....basically Limerick planners should look at trying to create an "Old Town" as is common in most European cities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

And as for a rail links to Shannon....there is a modern motorway linking the airport....what possible justification is there to construct a competing transport network to an airport with such a small footfall? There isn't a rail link from Dublin to the airport with some 30m annual passengers so I'm mystified as to why some people think such a development is necessary in Limerick.

The railway link to Shannon was suggested in the context of a major population increase, as planned by the government and Council. In that sense there's a logic to it. The lack of a decent rail link in Dublin really just highlights the poor infrastructure up there. There should be some kind of decent mass transit links between population centres and airports.

Advertisement