Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things the city needs, and does not have currently

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

zulutango wrote: »
    The railway link to Shannon was suggested in the context of a major population increase, as planned by the government and Council. In that sense there's a logic to it. The lack of a decent rail link in Dublin really just highlights the poor infrastructure up there. There should be some kind of decent mass transit links between population centres and airports.

Also it should be noted that there is a large number of Limerick city residents commuting daily to Shannon for work in the vast industrial and commercial estates out there.

A decent public transport system between the two is needed to provide options for those who don't drive and have to rely solely on Bus Eireann to get them to work in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

The judgement of Thanos...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

source wrote: »
    The railway link to Shannon was suggested in the context of a major population increase, as planned by the government and Council. In that sense there's a logic to it. The lack of a decent rail link in Dublin really just highlights the poor infrastructure up there. There should be some kind of decent mass transit links between population centres and airports.

Also it should be noted that there is a large number of Limerick city residents commuting daily to Shannon for work in the vast industrial and commercial estates out there.

A decent public transport system between the two is needed to provide options for those who don't drive and have to rely solely on Bus Eireann to get them to work in the morning.

What idiots allowed Shannon to be built as a new town without a railway is what I want to know! Age of the motorcar I suppose! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

What idiots allowed Shannon to be built as a new town without a railway is what I want to know! Age of the motorcar I suppose!

1950's planning. Limerick Council still subscribes to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

1950's planning. Limerick Council still subscribes to it.
    I think you just insulted the 50s 20s more like it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭topcat72

With Cork having a fresh batch of Michelin starred restaurants, the city could use one. 1826 in Adare is probably the closest that comes to mind. Not that I'd be a regular attendee, but a city of 120k+ ( including suburbs) should be able to aspire to having one. Ballydehob is not a particularly large urban hub.
    And I do know its not particularly important ( in that there is no lack of good ( and places to eat) - just a wider mix is useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The Wild Honey Inn back in Lisdoonvarna is proof that population is not really any barrier, and a place doesn't need to have anything like silver service either - it's just about having an ambitious and talented chef.

I haven't come across anywhere in Limerick City that is anywhere near Michelin Star level. I hear the place out in Plassey House is quite good but haven't tried it.

I'm sure Adare Manor will be aspiring to get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

It's been a couple of years since I've been (must correct that) but The Mustard Seed in Ballingarry is still the best dinner I've ever had. Lovely atmosphere, people and (considering what you're getting) very reasonable prices too.

• Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

Paddico wrote: »
    Any care to tell me what the limerick obsession is with Marks & Sparks.
    It will come some day and then, just like starbucks you'll realise M&S is overpriced for food and and their clothes are ****e quality

M+S is not that much more expensive than super value yet the quality and experience is on a different level , i dont shop in it but dropped in a few times for special occasions , its not comparable to the regular supermarkets .

Does Limerick need an M&S? Probably not.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

galway city has one , population is near identical , granted galwegians have notions limerick folk would never want , never mind have .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

Yes, of course it should, their products are great

I'd gladly choose a Lidl or Aldi in the city centre over an M&S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Aldi preferably

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

I'd gladly support people having the option of all, we shouldn't speak as if it's only one or the other... although of course the issue is that this city is so badly developed that this isn't a very realistic possibility

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭daedal

I’d like if an M&S Express shop was opened in town which is grocery only (I think that particular type of franchise is named “Simply Food”). It would only need a relatively small footprint compared to its full shop version. I think that would go down a treat in town and would certainly fit neatly into this long time unnocopied unit:

tpH4AXW_d.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

daedal wrote: »
    I’d like if an M&S Express shop was opened in town which is grocery only (I think that particular type of franchise is named “Simply Food”). It would only need a relatively small footprint compared to its full shop version. I think that would go down a treat in town and would certainly fit neatly into this long time unnocopied unit:

tpH4AXW_d.jpg

I'd love one too but I think Krank's would be a bit small for it. Some of the Simply Food stores can be quite big.

There is small one in Heuston Station though that sells mainly sandwiches and drinks so it could work.

I'd love one too but I think Krank's would be a bit small for it. Some of the Simply Food stores can be quite big.

There is small one in Heuston Station though that sells mainly sandwiches and drinks so it could work.

There’s one in Spencer Dock, IFSD which is very similar to the footprint of Kranks, I’d even argue thar Kranks is larger than it. The Spencer Dock one is great. Just very busy and not enough checkouts, obvious sacrifice due to floor space, but works well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

topcat72 wrote: »
    (c) A good Mexican or Tex mex restaurant. Steady...

is the texas stakeout not there anymore? :D

From the outrage on El Toros Facebook id say a new bbq place.

• Advertisement

sioda wrote: »
    From the outrage on El Toros Facebook id say a new bbq place.

Oooh I love a bit of drama, care to fill me in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

daedal wrote: »
    Oooh I love a bit of drama, care to fill me in?

So El Toro closes for renovations and for a new possible menu. Then they announce on the same page that they're changing cuisine altogether much to the disgust of their loyal customers. So they'll have all the reviews of the last business plus the name of el Toro and all the pictures from the last restaurant.
    So much was the anger that they're saying that they're going to do the bbq ribs now

Aldi in the city would be great with Hillbilly's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

galway city has one , population is near identical , granted galwegians have notions limerick folk would never want , never mind have .

Killarney, Clonmel, Athlone and other much smaller towns have one. M&S want to be in Limerick, but only in the right location. They were refused planning to open in.the Crescent and then they committed to.Parkway Valley, and we all know what happened with that debacle. There is no suitable available site right now in the city centre for a full offering M&S (Dunnes would never let a competitor take their Sarsfield St site) so M&S's hands are tied.

ongarboy wrote:
    Killarney, Clonmel, Athlone and other much smaller towns have one. M&S want to be in Limerick, but only in the right location. They were refused planning to open in.the Crescent and then they committed to.Parkway Valley, and we all know what happened with that debacle. There is no suitable available site right now in the city centre for a full offering M&S (Dunnes would never let a competitor take their Sarsfield St site) so M&S's hands are tied.

It looks like Dunnes are going to be hit with a substantial levy on the Sarsfield Street site. It'll be interesting to see what they do if that happens.

Good freshly battered chicken goujons ala old kettle o fish in gort or galway

Advertisement