Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilbarrack Avenue/Grove

Options
  • 17-09-2018 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Looking at opinions on this area in terms of access to schools, any anti-social behavior, etc. Visited it coming from Kilbarrack Dart station and was a little put off by the walk down. Have read that Briarfield etc is quiet now. Is it, and is the area down towards the shops? EAs seem to mention Howth Junction and Bayside as the nearest Dart stations, expect therefore that others are a little put off as well by Kilbarrack station and around. Houses are asking 600k plus, which suggests it's a good area. Would appreciate any local knowledge, input.
    Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,443 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Even though it is called Kilbarrack that area is actually the lower end of Raheny.
    As mentioned Howth J would be the closest train station and alternatively Bayside but you could use Kilbarrack if you wanted to with no problems.
    As you can see that area is right beside a set of shops on the Kilbarrack road with all the essentials, chipper, offy, newsagents, italian cafe, pharmacist etc and it is only another 5 minutes walk to Bayside shops which is currently being renovated with an Aldi going in.
    Bayside also has a pub called the Bayside inn which has a good mixed crowd on a weekend with a DJ on Friday and a Pub Quiz on Saturday, there is also The Cedar Lounge further into Raheny
    The nearest primary school is about 10 minutes walk away Scoil Muire agus josef.
    For secondary schools you have St Neasains mixed school in Baldoyle, St Marys Girls school in Baldoyle, St Fintans boys school on the coast
    You also have bus links on the coast which is 5 minutes walk away with a bike/walking path along most of the coast to town.
    There is a cinema in Coolock which is straight up the Kilbarrack road/tonglegee road and can be walked in 30-40 minutes if you are feeling healthy or take a bus :)
    This is a very quiet area now which is being reflected in the prices that we are seeing

I am not or never have been an EA for the area ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Have a look at this thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=107327488 especially Samuel T. Cogley's posts as he knows the area well.

I had a chat with some one living in Briarfield yesterday and he has no significant issues and likes the area. Kilbarrack Ave and Grove are good areas. St Donaghs north of Howth Junction is not a place/area I would recommend.

In relation to the DART station walk, during rush hour walking to Bayside might help avoid standing room only as the train gets well packed after just a few stops and seats by the time it gets to Kilbarrack would be a rare thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Kilbarrack DART station is grand. The kids are exactly that kids, rather than teens, and bark is 100 times worse than the bite. If you speak to them with respect they generally treat you the same. 3 years living facing the thing now and not a bother apart from the odd bit of noise very, very rarely.

Shops never an issue, the odd howya going to the chemist but if you don't bother them they won't bother you.

Edit +1 on that being Raheny. It's Foxfield. The one thing that would put me off is IMHO the prices are bonkers then you're paying to be close to the Howth road. My fear is at the moment Kilbarrack is seen as within a few yards of Foxfield, in a downward market is Foxfield going to be within a few yards of Kilbarrack?

FWIW I love living in Kilbarrack and I'mn a blowin form rural Oxfordshire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Skerries wrote:
    Even though it is called Kilbarrack that area is actually the lower end of Raheny. As mentioned Howth J would be the closest train station and alternatively Bayside but you could use Kilbarrack if you wanted to with no problems. As you can see that area is right beside a set of shops on the Kilbarrack road with all the essentials, chipper, offy, newsagents, italian cafe, pharmacist etc and it is only another 5 minutes walk to Bayside shops which is currently being renovated with an Aldi going in. Bayside also has a pub called the Bayside inn which has a good mixed crowd on a weekend with a DJ on Friday and a Pub Quiz on Saturday, there is also The Cedar Lounge further into Raheny The nearest primary school is about 10 minutes walk away Scoil Muire agus josef. For secondary schools you have St Neasains mixed school in Baldoyle, St Marys Girls school in Baldoyle, St Fintans boys school on the coast You also have bus links on the coast which is 5 minutes walk away with a bike/walking path along most of the coast to town. There is a cinema in Coolock which is straight up the Kilbarrack road/tonglegee road and can be walked in 30-40 minutes if you are feeling healthy or take a bus This is a very quiet area now which is being reflected in the prices that we are seeing

Skerries wrote:
    I am not or never have been an EA for the area

There is also bayside primary school 2 mins away , I'm from the area , it's a grand area , great for kids , I loved growing up there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭raheny red

Kilbarrack is great. And where you're thinking of going is a stones throw from the coast. Similar thread to Edenmore the other day. These areas were no go areas 'back in the day' but these days they are mostly fine. It was big families that caused problems back in the 60s/70s/80s but the majority of them are long gone. I always found it a little odd why the Avenue and Grove were named as such when a good bit away from 'proper' Kilbarrack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RIALTO1

Edit +1 on that being Raheny. It's Foxfield. The one thing that would put me off is IMHO the prices are bonkers then you're paying to be close to the Howth road. My fear is at the moment Kilbarrack is seen as within a few yards of Foxfield, in a downward market is Foxfield going to be within a few yards of Kilbarrack?
    This is probably the biggest issue we see. Are you being asked to pay near Howth Rd prices for an area that will be one of the first in that price bracket to fall off. On the one side, those bungalows have so much potential to grow and expand with the family (hopefully). On the other side, you could probably get a good detached house in other parts of Raheny (e.g. Foxfield/St Assams) for the same money if not less, or something over Sutton way for a little more. Both of which might be more stable pricewise in a downturn.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

tricky D wrote: »
    Have a look at this thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=107327488 especially Samuel T. Cogley's posts as he knows the area well.

I had a chat with some one living in Briarfield yesterday and he has no significant issues and likes the area. Kilbarrack Ave and Grove are good areas. St Donaghs north of Howth Junction is not a place/area I would recommend.
    I live there and that is nonsense. People getting the train from howth junction park there with zero issues. No gangs hanging around the train station at all.

tricky D wrote: »
    In relation to the DART station walk, during rush hour walking to Bayside might help avoid standing room only as the train gets well packed after just a few stops and seats by the time it gets to Kilbarrack would be a rare thing.

It is a longer walk to bayside and you get twice as many trains going from howth junction. depending on exactly where the house is howth junction could actually be nearer than kilbarrack station

Advertisement