Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to clean up my Hotmail inbox. I'm trying Thunderbird but need help please

Options
  • 17-09-2018 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭

I use it all the time. It syncs to my phone for when I'm on the move but also I use it through the web platform outlook.com

Unlike other pop mail I have set up, when I get the mail to my phone, it stays on the server. That is very handy and that is they way I want it.

But I do need to scroll through it every so often and clean it up.

It used to be great on Hotmail.com when your mail was in pages. you could tick a button at the top, all mails would be highlighted on that page and one button to delete them all.

or you could tick a box to highlight all mails from one particular sender

ever since move to outlook.com and the poxy continuous scrolling, managing my mailbox has become a horrible chore and not very easy.

I don't believe there is a way to revert to the old method.

I am hoping for help.

A quick google tells me Thunderbird is the best for my I idea to download something which I can sync my mails to in order to clean them up as opposed to using outlook.com on the web interface. but I don't want to use pop mail which will delete all my mails from server. I want them to stay there.

can someone please tell me if that means I need to use IMAP instead of POP mail?

also, I am having trouble setting IMAP for my Hotmail up on Thunderbird. it keeps telling me configuration could not be verified is the username or password wrong?.... it is all good, I've checked, checked again, and checked again and again.... and again and again.. you get the message

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Some thing is not plying in here...

Last time I checked, outlook.com still has option to “tick” select(radio button) all messages on the page, individual massage and for deleting individual messages there is “bin" symbol once hover over message.

If you sort messages by sender, or any other criteria in that matter, you can select and manage again with help of radio buttons. Sorting done from search box, in case you didn’t know.

If you setting up account on Thunderbird(or any other app) you should use IMAP:
    Add your Outlook.com account to another mail app.
    How to set up Thunderbird to sync your Outlook.com account.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Some thing is not plying in here...

Last time I checked, outlook.com still has option to “tick” select(radio button) all messages on the page, individual massage and for deleting individual messages there is “bin" symbol once hover over message.

If you sort messages by sender, or any other criteria in that matter, you can select and manage again with help of radio buttons. Sorting done from search box, in case you didn’t know.

If you setting up account on Thunderbird(or any other app) you should use IMAP:
    Add your Outlook.com account to another mail app.
    How to set up Thunderbird to sync your Outlook.com account.

Yea I can tick messages, but only individually. I've sorted messages by sender. Don't always want to delete them all but sometimes it isbeasier to select them all and then unselect the ones I don't want deleted.

I thought IMAP was the way to go alright, thanks for confirming.

I'll look at the link you sent there to set it up properly. Though I got sick of it earlier on and just clicked cancel after it told me I had the wrong password which I ones was correct.... and I have a feeling that actually did the trick for me.

It was on work PC, so will check it properly tomorrow as I was running out the door earlier on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

On outlook web interface The thing about ticking them individually is that if you have a good few selected..... Then miss the radio button on the next tick... It could open that mail and then all your ticks are gone and you have to start all over again.

Seve OB wrote: »
    Yea I can tick messages, but only individually. I've sorted messages by sender. Don't always want to delete them all but sometimes it isbeasier to select them all and then unselect the ones I don't want deleted.
    Still working as expected.

461523.PNG

Micro$oft did lot of changes, and not all, same as you, I like. But Micro$oft don't care and we, as consumers, have little impact on this.

However, i think your problem is how good you know your tools and how you adopt to certain changes. Functionality still there.

If for whatever reason you indeed missing some options - give more detail about setup, browser you use, etc. Some screenshots might help.

• Advertisement

More about knowing your tools.

I believe you familiar how to create mail flow rules and that way you can sort your incoming mail to folders(existing or your own created) by certain criteria, so mail from "enoyingperson@whatever.com" would be ready in junk folder or "MyOwnFolderForEnoyingMail" folder

Advertisement