Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Here it is Conor McGregors Whiskey!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

wexfjord wrote: »
    It's in Tesco nationwide. I wouldn't spend €45 quid on it, he'll have to adapt his price point to suit his market.
    that's perfectly priced for his market, people who have little to no money paying over the odds for below par goods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Has anyone here actually tasted it yet, and if so, what is it like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

Passed through Dublin airport there. £20 or €34 it is in duty free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I hear it has a bit of a punch to it !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

KhEzcVu.png

Exclusive to tesco it seems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Various reviews surfacing aren't too promising. One of the lads I'll be watching the fight with will definitely bring a bottle so will give it a go then of course. I actually quite like the label design.

not that exclusive to Tesco, but i'm guessing it's a supermarket exclusive.

https://twitter.com/LMGwhiskeyshop/status/1042769513098432513

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Saw this in Tesco today. The labeling feels very cheap and was warped/bubbling on all the bottles I looked at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,907 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cazale wrote: »
    Saw this in Tesco today. The labeling feels very cheap and was warped/bubbling on all the bottles I looked at.

Well, the bottles probably had Notorious labels on until the the court case was finalised about two weeks ago!

L1011 wrote:
    Well, the bottles probably had Notorious labels on until the the court case was finalised about two weeks ago!

Probably. I ran a label machine in Diageo many moons ago and those labels would have never got through quality control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,804 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I presume all decent northsiders are avoiding such a blatanly pro-southside product!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Was in Tesco there, sign on the display; “please note this product is limited to two bottles per customer per day” must be expecting it to sell out quite sharp.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Was in Tesco there, sign on the display; “please note this product is limited to two bottles per customer per day” must be expecting it to sell out quite sharp.

How much is it in Tesco?

mik_da_man wrote: »
    How much is it in Tesco?

€35

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

mik_da_man wrote:
    How much is it in Tesco?

Tesco New Ross had it on the shelf for €45 last evening. €35 was always the planned retail price, maybe they thought there'd be more demand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Will it be available in Pubs or how does licencing , is it just down to individual publicans. There would be money in it even as a novelty at the end of the night after a few pints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,244 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Will it be available in Pubs or how does licencing , is it just down to individual publicans. There would be money in it even as a novelty at the end of the night after a few pints.

Nothing stopping a publican buying it from Tesco if there is no one distributing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,265 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

if its just Bushmills then sell it as such . Looks bad on Bushmills if this is just a quickway of bumping up the price on an average whiskey, it makes then look cheap and is more damaging to their brand than it will ever enhance mc gregors

You think he's a chemical engineer or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

You think he's a chemical engineer or something?

Well.....if the rumours are to be believed he may well have plenty experience with chemistry anyways :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,907 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Nothing stopping a publican buying it from Tesco if there is no one distributing it.

As some did with that 26 (I think) year old in Aldi.

Expect to pay the price of a very premium product when there's two sets of margins applied to it though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Strange sales tactic. Just sell the thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Strange sales tactic. Just sell the thing.

I was in Tesco douglas today, and didn't see any such sign.

For a mediocre whiskey that is 90%grain and 10%malt (The only bushmills is the malt) it's selling out quick.

I have the 10% info, from a very reputable source in bushmills.

I've yet to find out where the 90% grain has come from.

Any reviews yet from people on the Thread

Any reviews yet from people on the Thread

forget it . If it turns you into a raving Twat i'll pass. is there something wrong with this guy https://www.bbc.com/sport/mixed-martial-arts/45597972

Does anyone buy into this sh*t anymore, the posturing mouthing off BS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Picked up a bottle the other day, apparently a best seller, can't keep it on the shelves.. a Victory for marketing:

2cdwy1v.png

Dozens of bottles of it in Tesco Naas last week. All gone last night.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

It seems to have landed in Derry yesterday and there's loads of social media hype already. Seen a few comments along the lines of "I wouldn't be a whiskey drinker but this is really good stuff". :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I'm just waiting for my boss to tell me to order it in. Although I've yet to hear of who's distributing it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Adyx wrote: »
    I'm just waiting for my boss to tell me to order it in. Although I've yet to hear of who's distributing it

That's not gonna make the ordering any easier :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

wexie wrote: »
    That's not gonna make the ordering any easier :pac:

Hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭Stephen Gawking

Does McGregor like whiskey & Coke...
    I'll get me coat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭eusap

Some shops are defiantly cashing in on the Hype, seen it yesterday in Tesco Newbridge for 35 euro and in Super Value Clane for 45 Euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

mikeecho wrote: »
    For a mediocre whiskey that is 90%grain and 10%malt (The only bushmills is the malt) it's selling out quick.

I have the 10% info, from a very reputable source in bushmills.

I've yet to find out where the 90% grain has come from.
    The grain is coming from IDL in Middleton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

It's a poor grain whiskey with a little malt. It's barely 3 years old and as a result lacks any depth. The sheer amount of caramel colouring and the name are a clear attempt to distract from the fact tha it's a low end young whiskey.

I'd be generous if I said it's of the same standard of supermarket whiskeys. Reminds me of something that would be used for well drinks in the US, cheap and used for mixers and happy hour cocktails. That's about it's standard.

Save your money and get a white bush or any other entry level whiskey really.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

eusap wrote: »
    Some shops are defiantly cashing in on the Hype, seen it yesterday in Tesco Newbridge for 35 euro and in Super Value Clane for 45 Euro

And they're dead right... if the McGregor fanboys are stupid enough to buy it let them pay through the eye for it.

I picked up a bottle when it first came out
    Opened it last night..

It's just bland, I'd prefer anything over it.
    Neat it's. .. mehh
    With a drop of water.. no change
    With ice.. it's almost completely neutral, like a vodka.

It's only good mixed with coke.

And I think that's the target audience, ppl that don't like whiskey, but like to think that they like whiskey.

Proper 12 & coke. Only way to drink it.
    It's a party drink, to be drank saturated with soft drink.

If you are a whiskey aficionado, don't buy it.

If you like whiskey, save your money and but anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Hi,

Anyone know anywhere selling this in Dublin today?

Tried loads of places including Tesco etc but no joy ;(

Thanks,
    Al.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Reads mikeecho’s post.
    Reads BigAl81’s post.
    Re-reads mikeecho’s post.
    Re-reads BigAl81’s post.
    Raises eyes to heaven!

Reads mikeecho’s post. Reads BigAl81’s post. Re-reads mikeecho’s post. Re-reads BigAl81’s post. Raises eyes to heaven!

Thanks for your help with finding where this is in stock!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Thanks for your help with finding where this is in stock!

Try dealz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭mightybashful

Hi,

Anyone know anywhere selling this in Dublin today?

Tried loads of places including Tesco etc but no joy ;(

Thanks,
    Al.

The new tescos near liffey Valley had a couple of boxes this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

And I think that's the target audience, ppl that don't like whiskey, but like to think that they like whiskey.

Probably designed to pair well with krispy kreme donuts :pac:

Big thanks to "mightybashful", they had it in Liffey Valley, delighted :D

4 people picked up a bottle in the 30 seconds I was there so it's sure popular.

There were still a few bottles left in a box on the floor about 5pm anyway if anyone else is looking for some tonight.

I couldn't be arsed queuing for Krispy Kreme doughnuts, but I look forward to drowing this in coke and washing this down with a Domino's pizza while waiting for the fight to start :)
    463147.jpg

Thanks,
    BigAl.

• Advertisement

Big thanks to "mightybashful", they had it in Liffey Valley, delighted :D

4 people picked up a bottle in the 30 seconds I was there so it's sure popular.

There were still a few bottles left in a box on the floor about 5pm anyway if anyone else is looking for some tonight.

I couldn't be arsed queuing for Krispy Kreme doughnuts, but I look forward to drowing this in coke and washing this down with a Domino's pizza while waiting for the fight to start :)
    463147.jpg

Thanks,
    BigAl.

I hope you enjoy it.
    The best way to drink whiskey, is the way you want to drink it, and the way you enjoy it.

But I stand by my previous post.
    It won't be something I'll ever be buying again.

A local barman offered me a shot of it for free on Thursday,
    I declined, and we had a bit of a laugh about how much we both disliked it.

He only put a bottle in the bar because people were asking about it.
    He actually made no profit on it, cos he gave half of it away for free to regulars, as he couldn't in good conscience charge loyal customers for it.

mikeecho wrote:
    He actually made no profit on it, cos he gave half of it away for free to regulars, as he couldn't in good conscience charge loyal customers for it.

Did McGregor not just mix a few pre-made Bushmills or something, can't be that bad surely?

Jim Beam is my go to favorite so I may not be the best bell weather for good brands however ;)

Did McGregor not just mix a few pre-made Bushmills or something, can't be that bad surely?

Jim Beam is my go to favorite so I may not be the best bell weather for good brands however ;)

My source in Bushmills told me that it was 10% malt from them, and 90% grain from somewhere else.

It has been said on this thread that the grain is from IDL (midleton/Jameson etc)

Here's a review

http://Www.businessinsider.com/conor-mcgregor-proper-no-twelve-whiskey-review-2018-9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

My source in Bushmills told me that it was 10% malt from them, and 90% grain from somewhere else.

It has been said on this thread that the grain is from IDL (midleton/Jameson etc)

Here's a review

http://Www.businessinsider.com/conor-mcgregor-proper-no-twelve-whiskey-review-2018-9

Rumors also knocking about, is it's had some carmel to help colour it up.

I agree with the review around the branding, the label is very poorly fixed to the bottle, riddled with air bubbles.

Caramel colouring is quite normal in whiskey, but Proper12 is far far too dark for a 3yr old.

In Germany the label must state if colouring is used, that's why on the back of Proper 12 it says

Mit farbstoff (zuckerkulör)
    (with dye caramel)

Caramel colouring doesn't bother me, as it's usually used to create consistency in appearance, but in this sinario it appears to have been liberally added, to give the aesthetics of an older whiskey.

Next time skip the P12, and get a proper 12yr old..a Redbreast 12. Twice the price but a lot more flavour, and you won't need the coke.

Red breast 12 is about €64 in Tesco, but if you're ever up north, it's £31 in Sainsbury.

• Advertisement
Advertisement