Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painter quote advice - seems high

Options
  • 17-09-2018 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for some advice. We are buying a house from plans and the painter has quoted us 5k for total indoor painting - outside is done by the builders. The house is 150 sq m. 2 sitting rooms, kitchen, dining room, sun room, hall/stairs/landing, 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, utility room.

He is telling us the builders inspect and only accept a perfect job and he will have to spend 2 weeks in the house to do the job they want. He is saying it will be base coat (presume this is primer), white all over and then 3 coats of the colour we want.

He seems nice but I am just wondering if any tradesmen on think this is reasonable? I don't mind paying if it is a fair enough price but it was a fair bit higher than I anticipated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Stanford

Usually a new house is given a base coat of emulsion by the builder, is that not the case here?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭WLad

Stanford wrote: »
    Usually a new house is given a base coat of emulsion by the builder, is that not the case here?

No the painting is completely on us. Would a base coat of emulsion change the price drastically?

The first coat is the hardest so whoever does that has to make sure walls and ceilings are clean and all holes filled which makes it easier for the painter to follow afterwards, also all wood should be undercoated, is the builder just handing over with plastered unpainted walls and giving you an allowance for painting?

The first coat is the hardest so whoever does that has to make sure walls and ceilings are clean and all holes filled which makes it easier for the painter to follow afterwards, also all wood should be undercoated, is the builder just handing over with plastered unpainted walls and giving you an allowance for painting?

Ah right ok. No they are just handing over to the painter without an allowance to us. We are getting a generous allowance on other things meaning we have to put almost nothing to kitchen, fireplace, tiles etc so we made our peace with it early. The painter is on site constantly though and by the sounds of it the builders will still be in sync with him about the holes and stuff you mentioned.

Is the painter going to be working on other houses on site if the builder has to approve the work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Is the painter going to be working on other houses on site if the builder has to approve the work?

Get a breakdown , how many painters for two weeks?
    Who is supplies materials, caulk , filler, paints ,tapes etc?

Get other quotes like for like and you will learn more.

Yeah he is the only painter on site. Anybody not using him just waits until they get keys to get it painted. They are standing over his job, we are just paying him.

MAJJ wrote: »
    Get a breakdown , how many painters for two weeks?
    Who is supplies materials, caulk , filler, paints ,tapes etc?

Get other quotes like for like and you will learn more.

I should have said in the OP that 5k is everything included. Dulux paint any colour we want and literally we give 5k and get a fully painted house.

I assume then that if you don't use this particular painter then the builder will not stand over the work of another painter?

I assume then that if you don't use this particular painter then the builder will not stand over the work of another painter?

Yeah thats what I understand. I know it is hard to judge but do you think all things considered it is fair? I know they are probably not doing the norm but it is a hit we are taking for the house we love.

• Advertisement

Well if you are happy then thats the main thing. Hopefully others on here will give a view on cost but painting a new unfurbished house is much less time consuming than having to move furniture around etc. Can you see examples of his work anywhere else before you commit? Are you paying cash?

Well if you are happy then thats the main thing. Hopefully others on here will give a view on cost but painting a new unfurbished house is much less time consuming than having to move furniture around etc. Can you see examples of his work anywhere else before you commit? Are you paying cash?

Yeah we have seen a few houses he has done. Although I am no painter I did pay good attention and I couldn't see a single crack/streak/bump etc. All the sills looked good too which I have seen poorly painted in a different development before.

By the sounds of it 5k is not astronomical then?

I honestly couldn't say if the price is reasonable or not but get prices from one or two other painters in the area, remember this painter has other houses to do in the development so you are a captive audience and it will cost you nothing to compare prices if only to put your mind at rest,

I suggest you put your post in "Home & Garden - Construction & Planning - Price & Costs" and you might get trademens' comments on the price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Might be worth having a chat with the painter and seeing how much he’d charge for doing it after you’ve got the keys.

My tiling work was 33% more expensive via the builder than getting the same tiler back to do it after completion.

Same tiles, grouting, tiler etc

Agreed, OP can be sure he is paying a margin to the builder also..!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

I'm a painter. New sand and cement walls need to be sanded and primed, then all walls should get a coat of white matt ( preferably a trade paint). The number of top coats will depend on the colour chosen. To bring a door from pine to white , I charge 120 & vat. Stairs are horrible to paint. If these are going from pine to white, you are looking at knot priming, primer, undercoat and if using water based paint, 2 top coats. To give you a proper quote, I'd need to see the plans and spec but 5k isn't outrageous imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I don't think 5k is out of this world assuming that the job is done to a high standard. Most painters in new houses come in and spray paint everywhere in a matter of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

WLad wrote: »
    Hi all,

Looking for some advice. We are buying a house from plans and the painter has quoted us 5k for total indoor painting - outside is done by the builders. The house is 150 sq m. 2 sitting rooms, kitchen, dining room, sun room, hall/stairs/landing, 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, utility room.

He is telling us the builders inspect and only accept a perfect job and he will have to spend 2 weeks in the house to do the job they want. He is saying it will be base coat (presume this is primer), white all over and then 3 coats of the colour we want.

He seems nice but I am just wondering if any tradesmen on think this is reasonable? I don't mind paying if it is a fair enough price but it was a fair bit higher than I anticipated.

Thanks in advance.
    Is this 2 weeks by himself or a team. I’be done a similar job (albeit not a new build). I paid a rate of €180-200 per full man day.

Him an one other guy. He said he might have to bring one other fella in if he is running behind. If those prices are right then I feel a bit better as that's 5k including paint and your prices work out at about 4k for 2 weeks work so I'm assuming paint would be more than a grand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement