Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is my breakfast unhealthy

• 17-09-2018 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Most mornings I have a bowl of porridge with blueberries but also white toast and butter. I know the porridge is healthy but is the white toast and butter unhealthy enough to make this a overall unhealthy breakfast? It’s normally two slices of toast.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭bladespin

Why is toast and butter unhealthy? Sounds just fine to me.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

I would say it's a bit carb heavy with the porridge and the bread. Could you work a bit of protein in maybe, replace one slice of bread with a poached egg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,675 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It's hard to assess it in isolation. You'd look at it with respect to the whole day.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭CookieLover

The rest of my diet is fairly healthy, i'm happy with it. It's just recently i fell in love with toast and butter and always thought butter and white bread was unhealthy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

White bread makes the best toast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Butter is keto, bread is not.

As someone suggested, an egg is a good option for brekkie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,675 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

What difference does it make if it's keto or not?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

What difference does it make if it's keto or not?

Didn't you get the memo that keto means healthy:confused: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Most mornings I have a bowl of porridge with blueberries but also white toast and butter. I know the porridge is healthy but is the white toast and butter unhealthy enough to make this a overall unhealthy breakfast? It’s normally two slices of toast.

If you're looking for weight loss, then no - white bread is high in starch/carbs, and butter is obvs fatty. Also having porridge oats means the meal is v high carb. Something like "be good" slices would be much less carb intensive and some wholemeal ones too.

I wouldn't consider white bread and butter to be healthy. But "healthy" is an overall picture - as long as you're not putting on weight and the rest of your day isn't carb heavy, that's the indicator.

Side note, white bread and butter is the best toast! I do miss it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Have some cookies instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

As others have said, it kinda depends on the rest of your day, what your goals are (weightloss or just trying to eat healthier) and how it impacts your calories, carbs etc as a whole. But just putting it into myfitnesspal, two slices of white bread, plus 20g of butter (which might even be low as I know I used to have loads of butter on my toast), you're looking at 300 calories, 34g carbs, 15g fats and 7g protein. If you're trying to lose weight, it's not the best, especially as it's not even your entire breakfast as you have a bowl of porridge (which is also carb-heavy) on top of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

All one could say for sure is that a boiled egg would be better, the rest depends. Also another issue some people might have is that its an easy go to snack just sitting there in your kitchen, so if you positively only eat 2 slices per day great, however if you end up eating cheese on bread or peanut butter on bread in between meals , or by the time you have sobered up you realise you have just eaten 2 toasted cheese sandwiches then not optimal.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

As others have said, hard to fully judge without knowing the rest of your day, but I would say it doesn't sound very balanced.

I'd suggest ditching to porridge (as it sounds like you really enjoy the toast) would be to add a boiled/poached egg and some fruit or veg. IMO that would be more balanced and still filling.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Murph76

It also depends on how much porridge you eat. Like how many grams of oat do you use?

Murph76 wrote: »
    It also depends on how much porridge you eat. Like how many grams of oat do you use?

I use 45g of oats with two handfulls of blueberries. Not concerned with weight loss my only concern is being healthy.

Sometimes i have less porridge but add a banana if that makes a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I use 45g of oats with two handfulls of blueberries. Not concerned with weight loss my only concern is being healthy.

There's no point in looking at one meal in isolation (although I'd consider that two breakfasts, but anyway), what's the rest of your diet like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,511 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I don't really have much to add to the "it depends on the rest of the diet" and the goals. A slice of white pan is less calorific than the "healthier" alternatives in my experience. Not a reason why you wouldn't go for a wholegrain bread, as there's other benefits, including filling fuller for longer.

Again in the context of overall diet, maybe spacing them a bit is an option. I'd find 40g of porridge pretty filling - I wouldn't need the toast on top straight away. But porridge early, then toast mid-morning I could get on board with!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Honda silverwing

I'd agree with some of the other posters -its seems like a very carb/ sugar heavy breakfast.
    But everyone is different , there are some people in their 90's in good health who have eaten porridge with bread and butter for breakfast for their whole lives and are in good health. Other people (like me) eat a large bowl of porridge and toast and report lethargy.
    So much so that 3 years ago after I had an enormous bowl of porridge (straight out of the pot!) and was filling myself up for a long day, I hopped into teh car for the commute to work and felt very lethargic.
    The next thing I know I had crashed into a car in front of me - Luckily no one was injured but there was considerable damage to both cars and I paid for it by losing my no claims bonus.
    Since then I've learned that a carb heavy breakfast does'nt suit me. Just by adding an egg to some toast (protein and fat) or milk to a cereal (proteing and fat) it is a more 'balanced' meal and it keeps me fuller for longer WITHOUT the feeling of lethargy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

A person's diet could consist of entirely 'healthy' foods such as vegetables, especially greens, and lean meats, nuts and seeds, and no refined sugars. But that doesn't mean that they are a healthy person if they eat too much and are overweight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Blueberries are very healthy and so is porridge if you can tolerate it. White toast can be replaced with home made brown bread or brown slice pan for toast. No harm having a bit of butter in moderation. Its healthier than lard or margarine. Eggs be great for the morning. Add a bit of flaxseed or chia seed or both into your porridge be lovely. Greek yogurt be nice too.

I think its the juices in bottles and cartons that are unhealthy in the morning they are full of sugar. I've cut them out completely in the morning. I went from drinking orange juice to apple juice did lessen the sugar taste but don't bother with them at all now I prefer apple juice to orange juice since I weaned myself off the orange juice. I only have juice in the morning as a treat or if visitors are around or visiting. Best to have fresh fruit in the morning.

Everything in moderation and a balanced diet is key really.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Murph76

A person's diet could consist of entirely 'healthy' foods such as vegetables, especially greens, and lean meats, nuts and seeds, and no refined sugars. But that doesn't mean that they are a healthy person if they eat too much and are overweight.

That´s the point!

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

Life is short, enjoy your toast, if you were having a fry it might be different!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

I’m getting the impression porridge isn’t a great choice? Is it? I find I can eat very little in the morning. At 10am in work I have 30-45g of porridge oats made with water. A drop of milk to cool and a teasooon of honey.
    I’d then have lunch at 1 which usually consists of a ham sandwich on white bread with some butter. A bag of Manhattan popcorn and a bottle of water. I’d have some coffees (granular) throughout the day and I’d have a not too carefully thought out dinner when home. Usually meat and a few veg.

Am I a bad eater? Am I gonna die??? I’m 6’2”, 16st5lb and aiming to get to 15.5st

Sorry to hijack op

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

jarvis wrote: »
    I’m getting the impression porridge isn’t a great choice? Is it? I find I can eat very little in the morning. At 10am in work I have 30-45g of porridge oats made with water. A drop of milk to cool and a teasooon of honey.
    I’d then have lunch at 1 which usually consists of a ham sandwich on white bread with some butter. A bag of Manhattan popcorn and a bottle of water. I’d have some coffees (granular) throughout the day and I’d have a not too carefully thought out dinner when home. Usually meat and a few veg.

Am I a bad eater? Am I gonna die??? I’m 6’2”, 16st5lb and aiming to get to 15.5st

Sorry to hijack op

The lunch option looks worse than some oats. Nothing wrong with porridge at all but it's generally taken as a good idea to get some protein in at each meal instead of just carbs.

Your goal would still leave you at a BMI of nearly 28 , you would need to lose another stone on top to get out of the overweight zone. If you clean up your diet and hit your target get your blood pressure and blood sugars checked, if they come back good then you would have more confidence that all is good

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

silverharp wrote: »
    Your goal would still leave you at a BMI of nearly 28 , you would need to lose another stone on top to get out of the overweight zone. If you clean up your diet and hit your target get your blood pressure and blood sugars checked, if they come back good then you would have more confidence that all is good

I don't really want to be 14.5st lol. I was at 'normal' weight before and I looked very thin, I know that sounds weird but it's true.

I don't really want to be 14.5st lol. I was at 'normal' weight before and I looked very thin, I know that sounds weird but it's true.

its only an indicator, a preferable measure is your waist being 50% or under of your height , might work better, so in your case a 37 inch waist might work with your target?

Advertisement