Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campag veloce groupset

Options
  • 17-09-2018 9:33pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 227 ✭✭

Hi my bike is a 10 speed with a 50-34T , I need to make this better for climbing hills , I seem to be off the saddle a good bit on the longer spins while one of my buddy's is peddling not a bother.

How do i go about this ? what parts do i need ? Will it cost a small fortune.

No problem giving this to lbs to do , as you can see with me asking this I haven't a notion.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

You need to check the number of teeth in the largest ring of the cassette/spockets on the rear wheel. If there are less than 29 teeth in this largest sprocket, then.... good news - you can improve things by getting a new cassette. This will give you some easier gears to 'spin' when the climbing starts. At a guess, there are 25 or 27 teeth in the largest sprocket if it is still as it was when bought. A new cassette including fitting will be well less than €100, with the proviso that you might also need, or be advised, to get a new chain; even so you wont go much above €120. 29 teeth is generally the maximum cassette size that a 'standard' Campag rear derailleur can accommodate.

If there are already 29 teeth there, then it gets a lot more complicated to easily improve, so check that first

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 227 ✭✭Dubs1990

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    You need to check the number of teeth in the largest ring of the cassette/spockets on the rear wheel. If there are less than 29 teeth in this largest sprocket, then.... good news - you can improve things by getting a new cassette. This will give you some easier gears to 'spin' when the climbing starts. At a guess, there are 25 or 27 teeth in the largest sprocket if it is still as it was when bought. A new cassette including fitting will be well less than €100, with the proviso that you might also need, or be advised, to get a new chain; even so you wont go much above €120. 29 teeth is generally the maximum cassette size that a 'standard' Campag rear derailleur can accommodate.

If there are already 29 teeth there, then it gets a lot more complicated to easily improve, so check that first

Just had a look there , there's 25 teeth on the largest ring on the back ! Thanks for putting that in normal context , I was reading up about it and my mind was boggled !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Great. If you really dont want to/have the tools to/have a mate who will....do the work, then off to the LBS. Fitting a 13/29 cassette will give you two extra gears (27T and 29T) to assist with climbing.....albeit at the expense of the smaller 11T current smallest sprocket - this in effect means that you will end of 'spinning out' earlier on fast descents or on fast flat sections. Everything is a compromise

The parts (cassette and chain) are about €75 in total with chainreactioncycles.com but you can reasonably expect to be charged €90-120 plus fitting - probably another €40 or so in your local shop . (or ask a handy mate and give him a few quid....)

Advertisement