Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs Paris Saint-Germain, Tues, k.o. 8pm, RTE2 & BT Sport 2

• 18-09-2018 12:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

images-16-1.jpg

Current odds:

Liverpool 11/10
    Draw 11/4
    PSG 11/5

Not long to go now, folks. I've been excited for this one since the draw was made and it's almost here. This promises to be the tie of the round as two of the best attacks in world football collide in a high stakes game. With Ancelotti's Napoli also in this group, competition to progress could be fierce.

Mane, Firmino, Salah, Neymar, Cavani and Mbappe hopefully all on the same pitch at the same time, with both Klopp and Tuchel certain to play to their strengths and attack from the off. It could be a bonafide classic. (You'll get odds of 16/1 on this one ending goalless)

Liverpool's main concern seems to be whether Firmino overcomes the eye injury he suffered against Spurs, but reports suggest Klopp is optimistic. PSG are without the suspended Buffon but Tuchel has indicated recently he considers Areola to be his number one, nipping in front of the Italian one might say.

The home side have been in good form so far earning maximum points, with an impressive defensive record. Van Dijk will also likely take solace in his good showing against Mbappe in the recent Nations League game between the Dutch and French. PSG have also returned maximum points but there are signs Tuchel hasn't quite found his preferred system as yet, trialling Neymar more centrally behind the other strikers and using Marquinhos as a DM. He seemed to contradict himself a little when asked if the game had come too early for him in his press conference: "This sort of game never comes too early. That said, I would have liked to have had more time with my squad."

One weakness I think PSG have is their new LB signing, Juan Bernat, who noticeably struggled at the weekend in their win over Saint-Etienne. Given he will likely be tasked with stopping Salah, I can see Liverpool getting a lot of joy down that side and I'm certain Klopp will target him.

Overall, I can this being end-to-end and the atmosphere should be electric. I'm thinking Liverpool to win it 3-2 in a thriller. How do you see the game panning out?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

0-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,046 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Should be a belting game, so likely a nil nil!

The last few years the cl groups were as dull as dishwater, but this year has thrown up a few crackers.

This being maybe one of the most intriguing ties. With so much attacking ability on display, should be goals anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

It's going to be mental! I suspect it will be a 4/5 goal game, but no idea where the goals will fall. I can't see either team keeping a clean sheet.
    And if we lose, it's a bad start, but not the end of the world - for all the wins so far, our front three aren't fully in sync yet..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I think Henderson will come in for Keita.

Salah up against Bernat could be decisive I hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

I think he will bring in hendo for bobby and swap hendo with kieta.

But id play shaq out wide and bring salah in center.

Excited for this one though. On training this week so im home for half four every day. The barca and the spurs games are at 5.55 yea? A couple of bets could make it a little interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

3-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

PSG aint no 11/4 shots. If I was a betting man.... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,925 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Neymar to win 6 penalties from diving and end Liverpool’s season before it really gets started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

PSG still look unsure of themselves and their roles. Naby Keita is still acclimatising to Liverpool but aside from him they look more or less settled. Both teams first real test of the season. Really looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

****s sake

#LFC starting XI v #PSG:

Alisson,
    Alexander-Arnold, Gomez, Van Dijk, Robertson,
    Henderson, Wijnaldum, Milner,
    Salah, Sturridge, Mane,

Subs: Mignolet, Matip, Moreno, Fabinho, Keita, Shaqiri, Firmino

Hopefully Sturridge is wide, let Salah play centrally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Firmino on the bench is a pity. Surprised Keita is benched too. PSG team:
    PSG XI: Areola; Meunier, Thiago Silva, Kimpembe, Bernat; Rabiot, Marquinhos, Di Maria; Mbappe, Cavani, Neymar.

No real surprises. Bernat will need a big game and Marquinhos faces a huge test in his new role. Expecting Rabiot to be up for it as he's a Liverpool fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Wonder who Liverpool’s next first test will be if they win tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

That has to be the best bench I've seen for Liverpool in a long long time. Options, options everywhere.

This is gonna be good. Feels like a big knock-out game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Come on you psg, a proper hammering for pool is the only thing to cheer me up

PSG snoozing there.

LOL George Hamilton.

"MANEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE...in fact it's Daniel Sturridge."

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Maneeeee.... Eh, Sturridge

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

He’s back!!!

George is really struggling nowadays with player ID.

• Advertisement

Big chance for Mbappe.

Pen to Liverpool.

Bernat. Typical.

2-0. Good pen from Milner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

LOL George Hamilton.

"MANEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE...in fact it's Daniel Sturridge."

Did Hamilton do that? I'm listening to some guy with Mark Lawrenson and he did the same

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

Fromvert wrote: »
    Did Hamilton do that? I'm listening to some guy with Mark Lawrenson and he did the same

Ya, it took him a couple of seconds to realise his mistake.

Fromvert wrote: »

Yep. Big dramatic roar of "Mane" followed by a pause and the realisation it was Sturridge.

I like George but he's been making so many mistakes the past year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Also said Areola is in goal because Lloris is iniured?????

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

Yep. Big dramatic roar of "Mane" followed by a pause and the realisation it was Sturridge.

I like George but he's been making so many mistakes the past year.

It seems to be every game he commentates on now. Constantly confusing players. I do wonder what he sees at times.

ASOT wrote: »

He stated though in relation to the French National team so we can let him off for that one. :)

MEUNIEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

2-1. Game on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,841 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Excellent game open and entertaining game of football this... both sides playing some good stuff , 2-1 now getting better !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

ASOT wrote: »

For the French games

Hamilton desperately needs retiring.

Poor goal to conceed

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Robertson has to be doing better. Great finish though.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Comical defending from pools center backs comeback is on

Really enjoying this game. Milner impressed me. Thought Rabiot was a big disappointment. Bernat looking a liability out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

davycc wrote: »

How is it comical? Ball bounced off Robertson. (Who's not a CB).

Impossible to stop every goal which internet posters seem to demand nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It bounced off robertson, good instincts from psg player though

Offside to boot

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

The comeback game was on earlier. Milan did great

It was offside for sure. Quite obvious too, poor of the assistant not to spot it.

• Advertisement

Neymar was deemed offside when he was on and through on goal. Think 2-1 is a fair reflection of the half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Neymar is so frustrating, as soon as you go past him and quite easily too he just stands there. Liverpool have free reign down the right.

Really enjoying this game. Milner impressed me. Thought Rabiot was a big disappointment. Bernat looking a liability out there.

Rabiot has been annoymus, far too lightweight a performance brushed off the ball and lost a couple of 50/50 challenges...

murpho999 wrote: »
    How is it comical? Ball bounced off Robertson. (Who's not a CB).

Impossible to stop every goal which internet posters seem to demand nowadays.

Van dyk should have read it sooner..tiny obvious distraction from cavani fooled him for a second and in the cl that's all it takes.

Anyway I'm looking forward to the second half either way fantastic pressing out there by herr Klopp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Neymar was deemed offside when he was on and through on goal. Think 2-1 is a fair reflection of the half.

Yeah the Cavani 'offside' annoyed me, but you're right about Neymar to be fair.

Looked like Salah had scored but it's been chalked off for a foul by Sturridge on Areola. Let-off for Paris.

Jesus, that looked painful and some. Correct call by the officials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Mcmanaman really is painful to listen to. Who gives a crap how long it took the ref to come to the correct decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Van dyk show have read it sooner..tiny obvious distraction from cavani fooled him for a second and in the cl that's all it takes.

Anyway I'm looking forward to the second half either way fantastic pressing out there by herr Klopp

Not at all, ball was whipped in and VVD had no chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Bernat and meunier (goal aside) have been very dodgy

• Advertisement
Advertisement