Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Update Failure

Options
  • 18-09-2018 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I keep getting an update failure on one file:

2018-09 Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 3.5.1, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7, 4.7.1, 4.7.2 for Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB4457918)

Download size: 63.8 MB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Important

A security issue has been identified in a Microsoft software product that could affect your system. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.

Any ideas how I get around this to install it?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

You could try:
    1.Manually download from Microsoft Update Catalog site and install,
    2.Delete cached Update downloads and run "check for updates" again.How to delete downloaded Windows Update files.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

You could try:
    2.Delete cached Update downloads and run "check for updates" again.How to delete downloaded Windows Update files.

Many Thanks - I'll give it a try!

You could try:

I seem to be given 5 options in the 128meg link...

All different sizes, which one is correct?

patch.png

All.
    Once you run Windows update, system gets only what apply to your PC depending on OS, hardware, config, etc.
    Once you go for manual download/install it give you all parts, and once attempt to install, system will recognize and will take/refuse update. You should get clear message on refusal.

Before you proceed with manual install, there is one more option to exercise - Windows Update Troubleshooter. Save(or run directly), wizard will take through steps and attempt to recover if any faults detected.
    Link above comes from official MS site: Fix Windows Update issues

• Registered Users Posts: 5,000 ✭✭✭opus

The WSUS offline update program is also worth a look as it will download any missing updates for you.

• Advertisement

opus wrote: »
    The WSUS offline update program is also worth a look as it will download any missing updates for you.

Can't say much about this soft - never used.
    My personal view: why bother with aftermarket parts for your BMW, if original comes for same price?
    I could appreciate that this soft give you more control over what to install and what not ( if you understand what is for what), but in Win 7 this control still available with original windows update. Source of updates must be same - win update catalog, otherway you won't know what you get and it won't be accepted due to signature. Soft will help you with selecting right updatest for your system - same as win update does(providing it's working- apply to both).
    You might get workaround, not resolving issue the cause you still don't know.
    By using third party soft you have to give administrative control to third party for update purpose, but what might be other purposes I don't know - nothing comes "free" - data collection, adds, etc. A lot windows users are unhappy about data collection, but here we go and give admin permission to someone else. Everyone's personal view.
    Might be I'm wrong. Not voting against it, but not recommend either.
    At the end of a day this is user preference.

Thanks all for the valuable advice. Its appreciated.

All.
    Once you run Windows update, system gets only what apply to your PC depending on OS, hardware, config, etc.
    Once you go for manual download/install it give you all parts, and once attempt to install, system will recognize and will take/refuse update. You should get clear message on refusal.

Before you proceed with manual install, there is one more option to exercise - Windows Update Troubleshooter. Save(or run directly), wizard will take through steps and attempt to recover if any faults detected.
    Link above comes from official MS site: Fix Windows Update issues

Thanks ran the troubleshooter and it could not fix the issue, but fixed others...

Installed all the files..

Got this error - Still seeing the original error also. Nothing resolved...

fail.jpg

fail2.jpg

Could you post you system details:

PC model, CPU model
    Win OS (OEM or retail, x64 or x32, Home or Pro, etc.)

I have installed virtual Win7 Ultimate SP1 machine.
    From fresh it had nothing installed, only what was included as part of SP1
    After running Window update (download only, no install) among others KB4457918 is available, but only as 25.4MB file.

Will see how it goes on installation progress

• Advertisement

Installation successful

461761.PNG

KB4457918 installation added two entries on installed update list. These are same .msu files as from within KB4457918 download.
    Check list of installed updates to see if your system got KB4019990 and KB4457044.

461762.PNG

Try to delete cached updates and re-run Windows update to see if it re-downloads KB4457918 and what size it will show.
    Cached updates located C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Downloads
    This folder contains ever downloaded updates - highlight all folders/files by CTRL+A and then delete(confirm admin permission if prompted, select "do for all items" box). After that run Windows update.

System will look and download only updates that apply to your system and not being installed yet. All already installed updates wont be touched/downloaded.

Advertisement