Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning permission up for greenway from Youghal to Midleton

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

first thing I've seen in ages. Cork County Council will vote on it next week.
    link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

deRanged wrote: »
    first thing I've seen in ages. Cork County Council will vote on it next week.
    link

We all know how that will go, appeals are possible.

Voted yes, unanimously. On to the next hurdle.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Voted yes, unanimously. On to the next hurdle.
    It'll be super come 2030 when a train to the booming Cork city centre with reduced car access becomes viable from Youghal and there's a proposal to reopen the railway. Then all the Midleton people kick up a fuss and the plan is dropped because of political concerns. Youghal is the one that gets screwed.

Youghal is close enough to Cork to be a commuter town, it's not of sufficient scale to be able to develop independently. It's closer to Cork than Drogheda is to Dublin for instance.

marno21 wrote: »
    It'll be super come 2030 when a train to the booming Cork city centre with reduced car access becomes viable from Youghal and there's a proposal to reopen the railway. Then all the Midleton people kick up a fuss and the plan is dropped because of political concerns. Youghal is the one that gets screwed.

Youghal is close enough to Cork to be a commuter town, it's not of sufficient scale to be able to develop independently. It's closer to Cork than Drogheda is to Dublin for instance.

The 200 or so who showed up to the Walter Raleigh Hotel need to lodge appeals. If ground breaks on this then that's it.

• Advertisement

There were over 300 submissions on the greenway idea, so there will be strong voices for and against. I don't think it's anywhere near done and dusted yet.

I also read that they changed the plans to have the entrance from the train station in Midleton. I'm amazed that anywhere else was considered in the first place.

There were over 300 submissions on the greenway idea, so there will be strong voices for and against. I don't think it's anywhere near done and dusted yet.

I also read that they changed the plans to have the entrance from the train station in Midleton. I'm amazed that anywhere else was considered in the first place.

Will it be appealed to ABP i wonder or even a judicial review. All for having rail and trail side by side though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

The fact that the Greenway is approved on the basis that it can be reverted to other purposes would suggest any appeals would not be successful. Have a Greenway now and if a railway is viable in the future go back to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

mordeith wrote: »
    The fact that the Greenway is approved on the basis that it can be reverted to other purposes would suggest any appeals would not be successful. Have a Greenway now and if a railway is viable in the future go back to that.

Once a greenway always a greenway, evidence from the UK suggests that reverting to a railway almost never happens even if there is a business case for reopening.
    Regarding Youghal, I think it was a foregone conclusion that they would vote for a greenway, there's little appetite in Ireland for public transport even for the greater good. Even the Luas works were greeted with whinging that business would be affected. Dublin would choke in traffic without it now.
    Irish Rail had to be dragged kicking and screaming to rebuild to Midleton, where would we be without that now??

• Registered Users Posts: 45 pukeko

Fantastic news! Will be a great additional piece of infrastructure for the area on unused land. Broadband \ utility ducting provided for in the planning also.

• Advertisement

Once a greenway always a greenway, evidence from the UK suggests that reverting to a railway almost never happens even if there is a business case for reopening.
    Regarding Youghal, I think it was a foregone conclusion that they would vote for a greenway, there's little appetite in Ireland for public transport even for the greater good. Even the Luas works were greeted with whinging that business would be affected. Dublin would choke in traffic without it now.
    Irish Rail had to be dragged kicking and screaming to rebuild to Midleton, where would we be without that now??

The need to be dragged kicking and screaming to do the rest of it as well.

The need to be dragged kicking and screaming to do the rest of it as well.

Youghal isn't as proactive as Midleton.
    Look at the state of the place. That Perks place that greets you on the approach to the town, with the broken cartoon characters on the facade, right next to abject dereliction looks like something out of the former USSR. Elsewhere, peeling paint, ugly apartments and boarded up dreadfulness. The beach down by Red Barn is full of rubbish that's been there for years.

Youghal isn't as proactive as Midleton.
    Look at the state of the place. That Perks place that greets you on the approach to the town, with the broken cartoon characters on the facade, right next to abject dereliction looks like something out of the former USSR. Elsewhere, peeling paint, ugly apartments and boarded up dreadfulness. The beach down by Red Barn is full of rubbish that's been there for years.

Youghal is in bad need of investment, the train service would have kick started that, god knows Bus Eireann provide a poor service that is either late or never shows up. I know perks well and recall it when it was located by the beach itself prior to the apartments being built.

The Midleton line isn't all that fantastic either, not even turning a profit, but it still has a good service that can avoid the congested N25.

Closing railways to open greenways is not the way to get people to shift from private cars to public transport, trains are far more reliable and no traffic either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

The Midleton line isn't all that fantastic either, not even turning a profit,

How do you get past this point though when it comes to reinstating railways?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

There are no profitable railways in Ireland. Profitability isn't a factor here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

The Midleton line isn't all that fantastic either, not even turning a profit, but it still has a good service that can avoid the congested N25.

Name a railway that turns a profit in ireland?
    Midleton and Cobh lines are doing quite well and continue to get more and more popular.
    The line to Youghal would simply cost too much to serve too few people. The priority in Cork suburban rail is the planned/proposed stations at Midleton West (in middle of zoned land for 5k houses) , Carrigtowhill West in the IDA park, Tivoli (long term as part of plans for housing there) and Blackpool. All of these are way ahead in importance than re-opening Youghal.

marno21 wrote: »
    There are no profitable railways in Ireland. Profitability isn't a factor here
    Name a railway that turns a profit in ireland?
    Midleton and Cobh lines are doing quite well and continue to get more and more popular.
    The line to Youghal would simply cost too much to serve too few people. The priority in Cork suburban rail is the planned/proposed stations at Midleton West (in middle of zoned land for 5k houses) , Carrigtowhill West in the IDA park, Tivoli (long term as part of plans for housing there) and Blackpool. All of these are way ahead in importance than re-opening Youghal.

Marno21 saved me answering the first bit of your question.

The saying was always that as long as the Cobh railway stays open there is hope for Youghal.

Mogeely,Killeagh,Castlemartyr & Youghal have all grown extensively in the last 30 years, further growth likely to happen in the next 30, i don't buy into an IR study that shows it wouldn't be feasible, it's what they want themselves.

The Blackpool station is shelved permanently in all but name, Kenneth O'Flynn the Cllr confirmed this to me in an email.

Carrigtwohill will happen.

Tivoli is going to be held up in part by the M28 being delayed possibly, while everything may transfer to Ringaskiddy pre M28, it won't be as efficient as people would want without the motorway, that is for the M28 thread though.

Marno21 saved me answering the first bit of your question.

The saying was always that as long as the Cobh railway stays open there is hope for Youghal.

Mogeely,Killeagh,Castlemartyr & Youghal have all grown extensively in the last 30 years, further growth likely to happen in the next 30, i don't buy into an IR study that shows it wouldn't be feasible, it's what they want themselves.

The Blackpool station is shelved permanently in all but name, Kenneth O'Flynn the Cllr confirmed this to me in an email.

Tivoli is going to be held up in part by the M28 being delayed possibly, while everything may transfer to Ringaskiddy pre M28, it won't be as efficient as people would want without the motorway, that is for the M28 thread though.

The short to medium plans for the Cork Suburban Rail network will become clear when the CMATS policy document is published. It is 100% going to include further railway stations on the suburban network, but the exact ones are still up in the area. Some pick from Blackpool/Kilbarry, Tivoli, Dunkettle, Carrigtwohill West, Amgen site (pending development there), Watergate.

Youghal is in bad need of investment, the train service would have kick started that, god knows Bus Eireann provide a poor service that is either late or never shows up. I know perks well and recall it when it was located by the beach itself prior to the apartments being built.

Closing railways to open greenways is not the way to get people to shift from private cars to public transport, trains are far more reliable and no traffic either.

There is no doubt Youghal is in dire need to investment. Growing tourism in the area would be one way to kick start that. Let the track become a greenway, get people visiting the area again, and spending money, and then lets see what comes of that.

pukeko wrote: »
    There is no doubt Youghal is in dire need to investment. Growing tourism in the area would be one way to kick start that. Let the track become a greenway, get people visiting the area again, and spending money, and then lets see what comes of that.

It won't mirror the success of the Deise Greenway, this is part of what Cork County Council are going on.

• Advertisement

It won't mirror the success of the Deise Greenway, this is part of what Cork County Council are going on.

Perhaps not but that's not a good enough reason not to invest and leave the track abandoned and unused. Why not try something to improve the locality for the community and visitors. If it attracts any bit of business growth and tourism activity along the line it will have been worth it.

A clear copycat job of what's across the border, at least Dungarvan has had its act together pre greenway, a fine town square, minimal dereliction, some restaurants and pubs that the visitor would be inclined to linger in. Youghal doesn't have anything as appealing and I doubt a greenway would encourage it out of its slumber and make something of itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

Youghal doesn't have anything as appealing and I doubt a greenway would encourage it out of its slumber and make something of itself.

That is unfair and not true - at least according to the Tidy Towns adjudicators: https://www.tidytowns.ie/u_reports/2017/2017%20County%20Cork_South%20Youghal%20600.pdf

Quote: "The stunning coastal location, rich history, unique buildings and elevated setting provide Youghal with an enviable range of attractions and we were delighted to see that your committee (and volunteers) with the support of the Council, local businesses and community are working hard. . . etc etc"

Having said that I weep every time I pass the block of flats that overlook the strand. The people who were responsible for "designing" and building them have a lot to answer for. As for whoever gave them planning permission - what were they thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

To add to JonathonS's post, while I agree that Youghal needs regeneration, it has a couple of things going for it that could be added to easily. It already has a fantastic beach front and boardwalk... which will probably be the most attractive scenery connected to this route (is there anything of note along the route itself?) and therefore a nice end point (or starting point). If I'm not mistaken, the Walter Raleigh hotel was refurbished in the last 2 years too which at least puts some beach front luxury in the heart of Youghal again. Priory Coffee in the town is a fantastic cafe for those passing through (they've even opened a branch in Cork City and Mallow). I've not been but my wife has said great things about the Regal cinema that offers a bit of a different cinema experience to the likes of Omniplex.

Sure, it's not a big list but it's not nothing, and you'd hope Youghal would seize the opportunity to make the extra push and give people more reasons to stop for a visit.

I've never really been behind the greenway idea (preferring a rail line) but if this is what's going in, I wish it every success and I look forward to making use of it (especially considering how closely it'll pass by where I live). If it help Youghal in any way, then yay to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Cobh is about a half the distance of Youghal, with significant harbour enterprise areas along the route. The Midleton-Youghal stretch is largely farmland. I've said it before on here, if Mogeely gets a large expansion (similar to the Waterrock development) then there will be some hope for the Youghal line, but not before then. Killeagh and Youghal might have expanded but nowhere near enough and with nowhere near enough density to justify a railway.

Regarding "IR don't want to..." they have been burned by poor business justification where reality did not meet projections (Midleton for instance). They answer to the government and must think of opportunity cost as they do not have unlimited funding. If they were to open Youghal, then it would be at the expense of Carrigtwohill, Kilbarry, Dunkettle P&R, etc. This would represent poor decision making on their part and heads should roll in that circumstance. I believe that's why it's been ruled out: not because of a lack of willingness.

As far as I am aware, the port is currently planning its move regardless of the M28: they believe they will free up Tivoli, paving the way for the City expansion there.

The Cork MATS drawings include a Blackpool/Kilbarry station: I don't think it's a dead duck at all.

Bacchus wrote: »
    To add to JonathonS's post, while I agree that Youghal needs regeneration, it has a couple of things going for it that could be added to easily. It already has a fantastic beach front and boardwalk... which will probably be the most attractive scenery connected to this route (is there anything of note along the route itself?) and therefore a nice end point (or starting point). If I'm not mistaken, the Walter Raleigh hotel was refurbished in the last 2 years too which at least puts some beach front luxury in the heart of Youghal again. Priory Coffee in the town is a fantastic cafe for those passing through (they've even opened a branch in Cork City and Mallow). I've not been but my wife has said great things about the Regal cinema that offers a bit of a different cinema experience to the likes of Omniplex.

Sure, it's not a big list but it's not nothing, and you'd hope Youghal would seize the opportunity to make the extra push and give people more reasons to stop for a visit.

I've never really been behind the greenway idea (preferring a rail line) but if this is what's going in, I wish it every success and I look forward to making use of it (especially considering how closely it'll pass by where I live). If it help Youghal in any way, then yay to that.

You could also add: Decent beachside swimming pool, Claycastle pitch & putt, Greyhound track, Perks (Ok its a bit tired now but still very popular). The cinema is lovely, very nicely restored and showing some interesting films as well as the blockbusters. It needs a boost and this project will help.

Glenbower woods and The Old Thatch pub in Killeagh are also along the route and both worth a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

pukeko wrote: »
    Glenbower woods and The Old Thatch pub in Killeagh are also along the route and both worth a visit.

Looking at the route, Killeagh stand to benefit a lot (possibly the most) from this. The route cut right through the village. Good time to consider opening up a new cafe :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Whats wrong with this ?

Advertisement