Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning permission up for greenway from Youghal to Midleton

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Hibernicis wrote: »
    Whats wrong with this ?

What’s right with it more like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

excellent. great to see this start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

deRanged wrote: »
    excellent. great to see this start.

I thought the same. Was curious to understand the issue that caused the other poster such concern

I thought the same. Was curious to understand the issue that caused the other poster such concern

At a time when world leaders are crying out about climate change etc, reopening the line was an opportunity to help ease traffic congestion on an already congested N25. I’m not anti greenway, just not at the expense of the railway line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

At a time when world leaders are crying out about climate change etc, reopening the line was an opportunity to help ease traffic congestion on an already congested N25. I’m not anti greenway, just not at the expense of the railway line.

We've been over this loads of times in previous posts. The railway line is not commercially viable. It simply won't happen.

• Advertisement

mordeith wrote: »
    We've been over this loads of times in previous posts. The railway line is not commercially viable. It simply won't happen.

Well i reckon figures are falsified by irish Rail but yes this has been covered.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

There are no comercially viable railway lines in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

marno21 wrote: »
    There are no comercially viable railway lines in Ireland

Yes but I think the point being made by many is that Irish Rail have a number of higher priority, lower-cost, lower-risk CapEx's on their agenda than Youghal, and are struggling to get them over the line. By all means I'd love rail to Youghal, but it's a long-term goal at best.

Mirror the Waterford greenway? Some serious drugs being smoked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,433 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Mirror the Waterford greenway? Some serious drugs being smoked.

Unless it's followed up with serious promotion like the Waterford one, Youghal is somewhat of an uninspired and uninspiring backwater so they have their work cut out.

Unless it's followed up with serious promotion like the Waterford one, Youghal is somewhat of an uninspired and uninspiring backwater so they have their work cut out.

Between that and some cable they want to run under the line I can’t ever see it reopening now even if they are future proofing it for quick conversion to railway. Do you know where in killeagh this plot of land is that the line used travel on that is not in Irish rail ownership?

Between that and some cable they want to run under the line I can’t ever see it reopening now even if they are future proofing it for quick conversion to railway. Do you know where in killeagh this plot of land is that the line used travel on that is not in Irish rail ownership?

Cable for what now? The whole lot is Irish Rail's, someone chanced their arm with a land grab, I may know where that is.

It'll never revert to rail once the path is in place.

Cable for what now? The whole lot is Irish Rail's, someone chanced their arm with a land grab, I may know where that is.

It'll never revert to rail once the path is in place.

Yes it sounds like a land grab. Why build it in such a way for quick conversion then?

Link to what I’m on about below
    https://amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/eirgrid-in-talks-with-cork-council-over-use-of-greenway-cable-for-france-interconnector-955711.html

Yes it sounds like a land grab. Why build it in such a way for quick conversion then?

Just to placate pro rail people.
    Can you imagine a path being installed and then closed and not having anyone objecting?

Just to placate pro rail people.
    Can you imagine a path being installed and then closed and not having anyone objecting?

I’m the first to admit it. If it was done in Waterford you’d have holy war

Link to what I’m on about below
    https://amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/eirgrid-in-talks-with-cork-council-over-use-of-greenway-cable-for-france-interconnector-955711.html

Not sure what the issue is with that article. It makes perfect sense to use a single owner corridor (such as a rail track or a greenway) for a cable duct. ESAT in Denis O'Brien's time ran fibre from Cork to Dublin along the Cork-Dublin mainline by "agreement" with CIE. If an electricity interconnector has to be run from a landing point in say Youghal (or elsewhere in East Cork) to the ESB substation in Knochraha it would be crazy not to use the greenway (and then the Midleton-Cork rail alignment). It avoids negotiating with 50-100 landowners and/or digging up the N25.

Do you know where in killeagh this plot of land is that the line used travel on that is not in Irish rail ownership?

Ballyquirke. House and yard and sheds on the alignment.

I've pointed this out to the "anti-greenway, pro-Youghal-railway" people many times, but the point keeps getting lost.

The landowners have squatters rights on that land now it's been encroached upon for a very long time.

The people who want to reopen Youghal railway should be happy to see the greenway clear the line and should IMO also go further to try and deal with the encroachment issue now, rather than leaving it fester for some time in the future.

There is a further issue near Youghal itself where a driveway encroached on the line. Thankfully this one isn't a building and can be dealt with more easily.

Not sure what the issue is with that article. It makes perfect sense to use a single owner corridor (such as a rail track or a greenway) for a cable duct. ESAT in Denis O'Brien's time ran fibre from Cork to Dublin along the Cork-Dublin mainline by "agreement" with CIE. If an electricity interconnector has to be run from a landing point in say Youghal (or elsewhere in East Cork) to the ESB substation in Knochraha it would be crazy not to use the greenway (and then the Midleton-Cork rail alignment). It avoids negotiating with 50-100 landowners and/or digging up the N25.

Minor details, but the 400kV line won't necessarily go to Knockraha substation and the landing point might be closer to Ballycotton but your overall point is very clear and IMO correct. I don't think the Amgen site is a viable location for the converter station AFAIK.

It makes sense to use the corridor but would be ideal if they didn't lay directly under the greenway surface or the trackbed. I only say this because we have a poor record of routing all utilities under the "lesser needs" users such as pedestrians and cyclists. Digging these up and re-patching badly affects them worse than it affects other motorists. So the 400kV line needs its own serviceable corridor, and the greenway/railway should just be the access point for it. Can all three phases fit in such a narrow strip of land? Will they pay to underground the 400kV line? Lots of questions unanswered there.

Ballyquirke. House and yard and sheds on the alignment.

I've pointed this out to the "anti-greenway, pro-Youghal-railway" people many times, but the point keeps getting lost.

The landowners have squatters rights on that land now it's been encroached upon for a very long time.

The people who want to reopen Youghal railway should be happy to see the greenway clear the line and should IMO also go further to try and deal with the encroachment issue now, rather than leaving it fester for some time in the future.

There is a further issue near Youghal itself where a driveway encroached on the line. Thankfully this one isn't a building and can be dealt with more easily.

This could be have been dealt with at little cost if IE visited the line every year or second year to reassert their ownership. If they were bothered, that is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Isn't there also a way lever over an area of land each side of the track bed to give access for maintenance? You may get adverse possession but afaik its a different matter to fight a way lever agreement.

This could be have been dealt with at little cost if IE visited the line every year or second year to reassert their ownership. If they were bothered, that is.

I know it's frustrating, but we are where we are.
    At least there's an opportunity to improve the situation to some degree now. I think the rail community should grasp opportunity with both hands: ask for the stations to be maintained to a higher standard now, that the encroachment issue be dealt with now, that cabling/utility issues be dealt with now etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭CharlieR

I actually drive an electric car so you can remove the 'you' and direct your diatribe elsewhere.

Whats the source of your power generation, there's nothing very green in Ireland yet and no incentive for people to install green systems like the UK offered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Clearance works are underway. This is the Midleton end of the line.

49459506161_82c01b2b38_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 45 pukeko

They're a nice bit of clearing done at the Killeagh stretch too - and work on the entrance\car park etc.

Christ it makes me sick looking at this knowing the railway line isn't going to reopen

JonathonS wrote: »
    That is unfair and not true - at least according to the Tidy Towns adjudicators: https://www.tidytowns.ie/u_reports/2017/2017%20County%20Cork_South%20Youghal%20600.pdf

Quote: "The stunning coastal location, rich history, unique buildings and elevated setting provide Youghal with an enviable range of attractions and we were delighted to see that your committee (and volunteers) with the support of the Council, local businesses and community are working hard. . . etc etc"

Having said that I weep every time I pass the block of flats that overlook the strand. The people who were responsible for "designing" and building them have a lot to answer for. As for whoever gave them planning permission - what were they thinking?

It's got potential, but it's a run down kip. It's been like that for decades. The TT people must be half blind they don't see any dereliction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭cc

cant wait to see the green way developed, I think the value of such an amenity will only be fully realised once it's up and running

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Some work at the Killeagh site

501686.jpg

501687.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Christ it makes me sick looking at this knowing the railway line isn't going to reopen

Never say never , but it's been already been unused for decades ,so this a good start ...
    ( Scheduled passenger services finished in 1963 !!)
    And the last beet trains were in the early 80s )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement