Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B.A.R.E. in the Woods experience?

Options
  • 18-09-2018 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

Hey ya'll I'm planning a mate's stag for next year and I'm looking for an alternative festival in the first half of the summer. BARE sounds like it ticks a lot of the boxes but I've heard next to nothing about it.

I've been to Body and Soul, EP, ATN, Castlepalooza and Vantastival over the years. How would it compare to any of those in terms of vibe / set up / music?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭MattD

B.A.R.E was nice and all, but I severely doubt it will go ahead next year due to the lack of numbers this year. It's also not really a 'stag' atmosphere as there's a lot of family stuff going on. The arena is very open and quite small, so I couldn't really see a stag having the best fun, particularly if it's as sparsely populated as it was this year.

In terms of your questions - everything was set up perfectly adequately. Decent food, decent sound from most of the stages and a very open layout to the campsites and arena. Beer was actually surprisingly good and cheap (Franciscan Well for €5). The vibe was quite relaxed/subdued, but this could have been just down to numbers. Music was a bit niche/gimmicky and then filled out with a fair amount of local electronic/rnb/dj acts, which I'd imagine would continue next year if the festival goes ahead. It's hard to put across how empty certain areas of the festival felt at times...

Forbidden Fruit with a hostel (if that didn't break the bank) would be a much better option for me. I haven't seen castlepalooza or vantastival but I'd also imagine they're more of a laugh too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I had tickets for this year, but couldn't go as we had a new arrival.
    My mates went though, and wouldn't return.

They had good craic and all, but
    * the small crowds meant the athmosphere was low key.
    *the scobes really stood out.
    * the locals jumping the fence really stood out (not that this is a problem necessarily).
    * the facilities were poor (showers etc in the *VIP* camping area).

They did say it had plenty of potential, and the setting was fantastic, but if it doesn't have enough to hold the attention of people in their 40s and a few in their early 50s, then it doesn't sound promising for a stag.

Horses for courses though, and you make your own fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

That's a pity but good to know. If numbers were that low then it does seem unlikely it'll go ahead next year.

This will be a "stag" only in the loosest sense of the word so I'm not really worried about it being suitable for a stag as such, but obviously yeah you want a bit of atmosphere and you need decent crowds for atmosphere.

Thanks for the feedback anyway. Back to the drawing board!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Advertisement