Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cafe/restaurants Cahir/Mitchelstown

• 18-09-2018 10:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,658 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone suggest any nice restaurants for lunch in the Cahir, Mitchelstown areas?

I have tried a few of the cafes around and tbh not been all that impressed - the one opposite Cahir castle (Bridge?), the Mean Bean in Cahir. The Italian one seems ok but I am not an Italian food fan. The other two give the impression that they have the whole place sewn up so don't have to try very hard, there seems to be potential for both of them to be much better.

Praline cafe beside Tesco in Mitchelstown is very nice, good food and service, but not exactly what I am looking for, little bit more restaurant or bistro-ish.

Kilcoran Lodge might be ok, I have had some good 'pub food' meals there. What about Cahir House Hotel, that is one I haven't tried. Can anyone suggest any others?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

O Callaghans in Mitchelstown is lovely, pricy for what you get but exceptional food none the less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,658 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Thanks Solerina, yes that's a possibility - I did have lunch in there one day but I absolutely cannot remember what I had - even looked at the menu and it isn't ringing any bells. We did ask for their elderflower cordial and the waitress brought us two tumblers of what we eventually realised was neat cordial! We diluted it with most of a jug of water to get it to a drinkable state, I don't think the manager/owner was very impressed when he realised what had happened! It was good though! But no idea what we ate, though I recall we enjoyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

looksee wrote: »
    Thanks Solerina, yes that's a possibility - I did have lunch in there one day but I absolutely cannot remember what I had - even looked at the menu and it isn't ringing any bells. We did ask for their elderflower cordial and the waitress brought us two tumblers of what we eventually realised was neat cordial! We diluted it with most of a jug of water to get it to a drinkable state, I don't think the manager/owner was very impressed when he realised what had happened! It was good though! But no idea what we ate, though I recall we enjoyed it.

Pat, the owner isn’t never really impressed by anything so I wouldn’t worry, spity ye were nearly poisoned :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Firgrove Hotel Mitchelstown,

Good bar food all day long.

Nice seating arrangement.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,677 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

In Mitchelstown you've
    The Firgrove and Clongibbon both are owned buy the same guy.
    Standard resteraunt/bar food.
    The Hunters Rest can be good and reasonably priced but veg sometimes can veg can be over done but it can be very good as well. You'd get a good standard dinner there.
    O'Callaghan's is over priced and over hyped in my opinion. Now it can be good but it's more of a status thing with some in the area.
    They could serve a burnt cake and it would still be the most beautiful thing in the world.
    Market Place in the square. I went once and want overly impressed nor was the person I was with but it meant to have improved since then.
    They are closed on Monday and Tuesday.
    The Italian is the same as Cahir.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

If you’re happy to go 10 minutes out from mitchelstown, Thatch and thyme in kildorrery is lovely. Doesn’t open Sunday’s though.

Coincidence! My daughter had a meal in the Thatch and Thyme yesterday, said it was very good!

Freshpopcorn - thanks for that. I looked into the Clongibbon which was full of staid aul wans looking proper. I asked was there anything on the menu that was gluten free - there didn't seem to be - and the waitress looked offended and assured me there wasn't.

The Market place I tried - on a Tuesday :) Will give it another go.

Haven't tried the Hunters Rest. I did have a meal in the Ramble Inn, it is absolutely spotlessly clean and served (from a very short menu) an excellent plate of honest to god dinner (braised beef, just 'beef' on the menu, waitress said it was 'roast beef' but it was excellent braised beef) and what entertained me was the shpuds on the side, in their skins. Haven't seen them served like that in years. They were lovely. No trimmings but very good. Not really for entertaining though.

I shall have to continue testing - life is hard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Cahir house hotel used to do good bar food in the evenings. I hadn’t been in ages, and then went again earlier this year and it was awful, but I think it was mother’s day, which was a bad day to test it out again.

I did have a meal recently in the Hotel Minella and thought it was very feeble. All dressed up to look good, but really not great tasting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,209 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

looksee wrote: »
    Can anyone suggest any nice restaurants for lunch in the Cahir, Mitchelstown areas?

I have tried a few of the cafes around and tbh not been all that impressed - the one opposite Cahir castle (Bridge?), the Mean Bean in Cahir. The Italian one seems ok but I am not an Italian food fan. The other two give the impression that they have the whole place sewn up so don't have to try very hard, there seems to be potential for both of them to be much better.

Praline cafe beside Tesco in Mitchelstown is very nice, good food and service, but not exactly what I am looking for, little bit more restaurant or bistro-ish.

Kilcoran Lodge might be ok, I have had some good 'pub food' meals there. What about Cahir House Hotel, that is one I haven't tried. Can anyone suggest any others?
    Do you mean The Lazy Bean in the Square in Cahir?
    That's lovely and tasty for lunch time.
    People also seem to like the Italian in Cahir under the dentist surgery. I've never been but heard it's nice, genuine Italian food.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,677 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Do you mean The Lazy Bean in the Square in Cahir?
    That's lovely and tasty for lunch time.
    People also seem to like the Italian in Cahir under the dentist surgery. I've never been but heard it's nice, genuine Italian food.

The same Italien is in Mitchelstown. It's okay. I have had nice food their.
    I've seen food in the fridges from the Tesco Value range and Lidl range.(Not being a food snob).
    I've being told they don't always use fresh pasta.
    One thing that did annoy me was if your order a glass of coke they filled it out of a two litre bottle and it was flat.

I had a salad in the Italian in Cahir, it was ok but not much more than a whole (and then some) Romaine lettuce (think it was Romaine) with cheese, avocado and tomatoes on top and dressing. A little bit over lettuced and under topped. In fairness I am not a great Italian enthusiast anyway.

I have been in mean bean a couple of times and find it a bit hit and miss, a bit grubby even. I had something (sandwich I think) that had either very off ham or very very thick parma ham - they claimed it was parma but I think they were using the tail end of it. I think it just needs a bit of attention to detail. However it has been packed any time I have been in so they obviously have followers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

One thing that did annoy me was if your order a glass of coke they filled it out of a two litre bottle and it was flat.

This irks me too!! And they actually have cans in the fridge, but if you ask for one they won’t give it to you, because they’re for the take away customers.

Advertisement