Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SPC4320 Darlington Outputs

Options
  • 18-09-2018 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

A couple of questions on the Darlington outputs OP4, OP5 and OP6 on the SPC4320.

Is the wiring arrangement I have shown in the attached pic correct for use with a relay to control a lighting circuit, i.e. 12V output from the aux 12V terminal and returning to the OP terminal.

In choosing relays I have been looking at latching and non-latching relays for 12V DC to switch 230V AC. The latching relays I have seen (namely Finder Series 20) have a current requirement (~440mA) that will exceed the capacity of the on-board panel Aux 12V, especially if I use more than 1.

Non-latching relays seem to have a much lower current requirement of approx. 16 to 35mA.

Are non-latching relays then generally favoured for this reason in this application. My initial choice was to go for a latching relay as I would not have to leave the coil activated the whole time.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Your diagram is correct.
    What other powered devices are you using on the panel?
    If you feel its a bit tights add an external PSU & common the negatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

KoolKid wrote: »
    Your diagram is correct.
    What other powered devices are you using on the panel?
    If you feel its a bit tights add an external PSU & common the negatives.

Thanks for reply.

I don’t think I’ve a need for an external PSU. I’m planning on using two of the ouputs to power relays for lighting circuits. I may use the third to control a relay for a socket circuit.

Was just wondering what relay types people use generally. Have found a good non latching relay for the lighting circuits that should work fine.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Finder non latching works fine for me and set the output to latch.
    Some nice cause/effect options with SPC once you have them set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

What I notice with Finder is that the spec for the coil voltage on 12V relay is 10.8 to 13.2V.

Given that the panel can output up to 14V does this not cause some concern. Or is it rare for the panel to output that much. I haven't mine installed yet so haven't measured it.

Actually having checked one of the charts that range seems to be at the extreme temp end up around 50oC.

Never had an issue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement