Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATM Giving More Than Requested

• 18-09-2018 2:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭

Just wondering

If you requested 40 and got given 100. What is the right course of action. I've a friend who is confused what to do. Online it looks like the 40 was debited from account, but has 100 in the hand.

The ATM isn't an ATM from any of the banks but one of the international odd ones. So isn't sure exactly who to contact if expected to contact. Or will contact be made to try correct it by the ATM owners?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It never happens, so don't worry about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

I would think, it has already happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭frecklier

Happened to me a few years ago in an atm in a supermarket. Asked for 100, got 5 x 50 euro notes. Only debited 100 from bank account and never heard any more about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

frecklier wrote:
    Happened to me a few years ago in an atm in a supermarket. Asked for 100, got 5 x 50 euro notes. Only debited 100 from bank account and never heard any more about it.

They'll find you one day. They always do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭homer911

frecklier wrote: »

Did you try again, just to see if it was a one-off like?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

People don't seem to realise that this is stealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭kweeveen86

People don't seem to realise that this is stealing.

Stealing from a bank. I wouldn't worry about it! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

kweeveen86 wrote: »
    Stealing from a bank. I wouldn't worry about it! :pac:

Can you provide me with a list of people and businesses it is ok to steal from?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭frecklier

They'll find you one day. They always do

Over 7 years ago now. Would have happily paid it back, but wasn't going to go out of my way to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Can you provide me with a list of people and businesses it is ok to steal from?

Your right stealing is wrong.

Maybe they are just abusing the banks trust or taking advantage of the bank.
    The banks would not do that either. cough cough (tracker mortgage)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

Course of action. Let us know location of the machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭bassy

stealing from thieves............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

I love that the first response was it never happens so don't worry, when clearly I wouldn't be asking if it didn't happen.

So I think it's stealing in all but she had no option other than to take the money right. I mean you leave it at the ATM lets face it, someone else would just take it.

It's not clear who owns the ATM. The bank thinks 40 was given, as it debited 40. So take 50, you stole 10, but if you leave the 50, someone else will take that for you.

It's not a standard ATM so who you would return it to is not known or obvious. But is there onus or do you wait until someone attempts to contact you. If they aren't your bank will they be able to obtain contact details from your bank under GPDR without your permission?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭shane6977

It's not a standard ATM so who you would return it to is not known or obvious. But is there onus or do you wait until someone attempts to contact you.

Surely the ATM has the operators details on it somewhere, if not the manager of the premises it is located in will have the contact details.

If the ATM gave out less money than was requested a person wouldn't be so slow about figuring out who to complain to!

Advertisement