Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House sale timeframe

Options
  • 18-09-2018 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

I'm selling my house and it went 'sale agreed' in June 2018. I've never sold a house before. It seems to be taking a long time for the sale to go through and complete.

My solicitor contacted me last week to ask for the BER advisory report and some other documents which I provided. I had already given him the actual BER cert. He said the buyer's solicitor wants the BER advisory report, confirmation of roads taken in charge etc.

Can anyone give me a rough estimate of how long it usually takes for the whole thing to complete? There should be no complications that I can foresee anyway. Also, what is the exact process? At what stage do I get the money from my solicitor and close everything off?

Any advice on this process would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Normally 3 months give or take in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

I'm selling my house and it went 'sale agreed' in June 2018. I've never sold a house before. It seems to be taking a long time for the sale to go through and complete.

My solicitor contacted me last week to ask for the BER advisory report and some other documents which I provided. I had already given him the actual BER cert. He said the buyer's solicitor wants the BER advisory report, confirmation of roads taken in charge etc.

Can anyone give me a rough estimate of how long it usually takes for the whole thing to complete? There should be no complications that I can foresee anyway. Also, what is the exact process? At what stage do I get the money from my solicitor and close everything off?

Any advice on this process would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

The buyer isnt asking for anything too complicated. Most of this stuff is readily available from the local council. They deal with it everyday. The BER advisory report can be downloaded from the site but shyster solicitors will stick you 150 for the search

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmallgirlBigcity

Thanks, yeah I gave my solicitor the BER advisory report and he is sourcing the council document at a charge of 75 euro, which isn't too bad.

I'm just wondering about the process of selling a house. Does anyone know what happens next? I asked my solicitor but his answers are usually quite vague.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Thanks, yeah I gave my solicitor the BER advisory report and he is sourcing the council document at a charge of 75 euro, which isn't too bad.

I'm just wondering about the process of selling a house. Does anyone know what happens next? I asked my solicitor but his answers are usually quite vague.

Will depend on a lot of things such as whether the house is a registered title or not, the extent to which your mortgage bank delivers and documents or confirmation it needs to provide, any other questions which might come up on planning searches and/or surveys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

It sounds like the solicitors are being very slow. We went sale agreed in July and aren't in any rush at all, but have made a lot more progress than yourself.

Has the solicitor requested title deeds from the bank yet? This needs to be done early on as can take some time.

Have your buyers had a surveyor and valuer out to the house yet? Again, this is done fairly early on.

If neither of these things have been done yet, I would get chasing the solicitor and estate agent on this straight away.

There's still quite a bit of work for the solicitors to do after this point. Drafting a contract, pre-contract enquiries, signing, exchange of deposit, agreeing a closing date, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Misguided1

We went sale agreed in the last week of July. Deal closed and funds transferred to lawyer on Monday of this week. Less than 2 months. Much quicker than expected!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmallgirlBigcity

Thanks everyone. Yes my solicitor already has the title deeds and a surveyor has been out. I think we're now waiting on the signing and agreement of a closure date. So perhaps we are nearing the end. Thanks for everyone's replies, they've been really helpful.

Advertisement