Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Literature Review

• 18-09-2018 6:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have to do this for an assessment due in a few weeks, I have no idea how to go about it and Blackboard doesn't have any sample answers for me to get a clue of layout or content language.

So, what I need to know is how to lay it out and how to write it, up to now, we've been able to write our experiences, but this isn't that kind of subject. So Im clueless.

TIA

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Search some articles on Google scholar? Find a few relevant ones and discuss them a bit. You can quote text directly, you just need to make reference the article / author.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

If it's a regular sub 5000 word assignment look at the question, what are the core issues addressed in the question? Break it down into 3 or 4 topics. Then find a few recent, peer reviewed articles which talk about those topics and how they interact, and use them to give a brief overview, maybe 3-4 small paragraphs for each topic with at least one source for each short paragraph or statement.
    In the literature review you're not giving your opinion or discussing the text, you're just laying out what existing literature on the issues says, providing definitions, etc.
    Don't overthink it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭Bredabe

If it's a regular sub 5000 word assignment look at the question, what are the core issues addressed in the question? Break it down into 3 or 4 topics. Then find a few recent, peer-reviewed articles which talk about those topics and how they interact, and use them to give a brief overview, maybe 3-4 small paragraphs for each topic with at least one source for each short paragraph or statement.
    In the literature review you're not giving your opinion or discussing the text, you're just laying out what existing literature on the issues says, providing definitions, etc.
    Don't overthink it.
    That's where the problem was, Im wasn't sure how non-personal to get if I could say things like 'in my opinion or in my research.
    I had a comprehensive look in both the uni and academic google but they didn't have any I could look at to see what the language was like.
    Mostly the problem was a lack of access to a sample and the time it took the tutor to respond.
    Thanks for your response, it's heartening to see that I was closer to the right tract than I thought.

Bredabe wrote: »
    That's where the problem was, Im wasn't sure how non-personal to get if I could say things like 'in my opinion or in my research.
    I had a comprehensive look in both the uni and academic google but they didn't have any I could look at to see what the language was like.
    Mostly the problem was a lack of access to a sample and the time it took the tutor to respond.
    Thanks for your response, it's heartening to see that I was closer to the right tract than I thought.

No, in a lit review it's not about your opinion or understanding, it's about what the existing literature says. so you were on the right path. Just use it to define the topics and repeat statements previous authors have made. You can discuss you're opinions on the existing data and literature in the discussion and conclusion sections.

No, in a lit review it's not about your opinion or understanding, it's about what the existing literature says. so you were on the right path. Just use it to define the topics and repeat statements previous authors have made. You can discuss you're opinions on the existing data and literature in the discussion and conclusion sections.

Here is another sticking point, if I just put say a quote per section there are 6, how is not going to send Turnitin(anti-plagiarism s/w) crazy, as it would be over the required 10%?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Here is another sticking point, if I just put say a quote per section there are 6, how is not going to send Turnitin(anti-plagiarism s/w) crazy, as it would be over the required 10%?

If it's an actual "quote" and properly referenced it isn't plagiarism.
    But quotes should be short - not entire sections of text.

Yeah, if there's six sections and each section has a quote that's properly references you're fine, but the six sections shouldn't be entire made of quotes. Summarize and paraphrase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Someone suggested using google scholar - I’d actually recommend using the Nuig library search instead as you’ll be able to be more specific in your search and get good quality articles. I’m doing a research module in my Masters at Nuig and we were specifically told not to use google scholar. The library staff will help you if you are unsure how to use their online search tool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

You shouldn't really be quoting other peoples comments that much anyway. Once or twice is alright, but what you should be doing is paraphrasing it and showing that you understand it. The only real reason you should use quotations is if it's something like guidelines, or something very specific a person has said that shouldn't be paraphrased.

For example, xyz did... xyz showed, previous research by xyz ... etc. There's no reason to be quoting entire chunks of text regularly.

As regards opinions, for the most part leave them out. Use the literature to form the opinion for the reader. If your opinion was that there's a particular knowledge gap surrounding X, then you can set the entire thing up for pointing that out with the appropriate literature.

You shouldn't really be quoting other peoples comments that much anyway. Once or twice is alright, but what you should be doing is paraphrasing it and showing that you understand it. The only real reason you should use quotations is if it's something like guidelines, or something very specific a person has said that shouldn't be paraphrased.

For example, xyz did... xyz showed, previous research by xyz ... etc. There's no reason to be quoting entire chunks of text regularly.

As regards opinions, for the most part leave them out. Use the literature to form the opinion for the reader. If your opinion was that there's a particular knowledge gap surrounding X, then you can set the entire thing up for pointing that out with the appropriate literature.
    Tks, that was my thinking on it, currently fighting with Turnitin as we disagree on referencing, I think.
    The whole thing is freaking me out honestly, so little support with difficulties like this.

• Advertisement

Submitted yesterday, thanks so much for your help both of you.

In future for stuff like this if you're stuck don't be afraid to approach your lecturers of tutors or even going to the university's writing centre. They'll all be more than happy to help you out. We all started somewhere.

In future for stuff like this if you're stuck don't be afraid to approach your lecturers of tutors or even going to the university's writing centre. They'll all be more than happy to help you out. We all started somewhere.
    Thanks, I did, they either were too slow or didn't want to direct me to where I could find a model or a comprehensive book. But im told that is my issue as I expect things done at 'city speeds'.

There seems to be a policy that support staff are unavailable for the duration of the first assessment for each year, which seems counterproductive to me.

That's why help from people I don't know is so appreciated.

That's unfortunate. Hopefully support improves in future. That your first assignment at undergraduate level involved a literature review section seems strange to me in itself, the fact that they didn't cover it by doing a basic introduction to academic writing class before hand or a tutorial session explaining what's expected just seems bizarre. I'm sure you'll do well in the assignment and best of luck with your studies. NUIG is a great place to study, I promise.

That's unfortunate. Hopefully support improves in future. That your first assignment at undergraduate level involved a literature review section seems strange to me in itself, the fact that they didn't cover it by doing a basic introduction to academic writing class before hand or a tutorial session explaining what's expected just seems bizarre. I'm sure you'll do well in the assignment and best of luck with your studies. NUIG is a great place to study, I promise.

There are some great supportive ppl there, they just all seem to be busy/on holidays when I need them. A topic I will be taking up when I meet the head of course next. I know from work its the kind of thing that impacts on MH and drop out rates.

To be fair, things like referencing and layout were covered in the first module of the first year and for a few minutes of this module, as I have an adult brain and can only take this on when Im doing the assessments, Im at a loss. Hense I end up on the internet asking strangers.:o

I feel the best I could get is 41% if I get that I'll take it and run far and fast away from it all.

Thanks again.

Someone suggested using google scholar - I’d actually recommend using the Nuig library search instead as you’ll be able to be more specific in your search and get good quality articles. I’m doing a research module in my Masters at Nuig and we were specifically told not to use google scholar. The library staff will help you if you are unsure how to use their online search tool.

Using the library is my prefered option too as Im from pre-google days, but with work and handwriting issues for the moment this isn't possible for me for the foreseeable(something my clients in nuig tells me is overlooked there).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭wetlandsboy

NUI Galway lecturer here. That’s absolutely shocking that you were told not to use GS. It’s the first place you should go to search and get access to academic papers. I also teach a module on academic writing in response to very poor literacy amongst Uni students and graduates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

What advantage would GS give over a database like Scopus?

Just use the library, no worries about pay walls and you can download the citation in whatever format you need there and then. Paired with end note it's graaaand. GS is a pain in the dick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭wetlandsboy

I use GS all the time in my work. It’s user-friendly - just like Google. If you are on the NUIG network, it will link directly to most papers published by Elsevier, T&F etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement