Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage and Scholarship Income

Options
  • 18-09-2018 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has any previous experience with a situation like this. My partner and I are looking to buy a relatively cheap house (200 - 220k).

She works a fairly good job and has most of the income value herself. I have a scholarship which accounts for about half of my income and then I do teaching and other work for my department which accounts for the other half.

Now, the issue we have found when we talked to KBC is that they won't accept my scholarship funds (despite it being guaranteed income on a monthly basis) as part of the calculation of our income.

I'm worried this might be a global issue with all banks. It knocks our affordable houses slightly below 200k which doesn't really get you much in Outer Dublin / outskirts of Kildare where we're looking.

Of course, the plan is to meet with other banks soon and discuss the situation with them (perhaps a broker too). If anyone has been in this situation before or has any knowledge on the matter that would be great.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

brainiac wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has any previous experience with a situation like this. My partner and I are looking to buy a relatively cheap house (200 - 220k).

She works a fairly good job and has most of the income value herself. I have a scholarship which accounts for about half of my income and then I do teaching and other work for my department which accounts for the other half.

Now, the issue we have found when we talked to KBC is that they won't accept my scholarship funds (despite it being guaranteed income on a monthly basis) as part of the calculation of our income.

I'm worried this might be a global issue with all banks. It knocks our affordable houses slightly below 200k which doesn't really get you much in Outer Dublin / outskirts of Kildare where we're looking.

Of course, the plan is to meet with other banks soon and discuss the situation with them (perhaps a broker too). If anyone has been in this situation before or has any knowledge on the matter that would be great.

Thanks!

Go to a broker. They’ll know the score. PM me for a recommendation from south dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

brainiac wrote:

Don't go to KBC, they're terrible to try get a mortgage from.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭fungie

Hi All,

Thanks!

They won't take scholarships/stipends into account. Since you are a student (I'm assuming) you aren't employed.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭brainiac

Cheers folks, I think the broker might be the best bet alright, see what they can source. Otherwise it'll just be a somewhat lower budget I guess.
    fungie wrote: »
    They won't take scholarships/stipends into account. Since you are a student (I'm assuming) you aren't employed.

To clarify on that, it's a PhD scholarship, and I am also employed by the University as an "Occasional Academic". Unfortunately the scholarship stipend and the monthly salary come in via two seperate pay streams, with only the taxable income present on my main payslips / P60.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

To clarify on that, it's a PhD scholarship
    Did/do you have a letter from the university clarifying this?

Also, check if the college have come across this before, in case they have a term for what you do that describes it in a way that the bank likes it. I doubt you'll have been the first with this issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Presumably the scholarship will end in 1-3 years, leaving you without a chunk of your income. Hence the reluctance.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭brainiac

the_syco wrote: »
    Did/do you have a letter from the university clarifying this?

Also, check if the college have come across this before, in case they have a term for what you do that describes it in a way that the bank likes it. I doubt you'll have been the first with this issue.

I could certainly get some form of letter I'm sure. Good idea, cheers.
    Victor wrote: »
    Presumably the scholarship will end in 1-3 years, leaving you without a chunk of your income. Hence the reluctance.

Yeah, I get the 1-3 years element but most recognise the earning potential after the fact too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Yeah, I get the 1-3 years element but most recognise the earning potential after the fact too.

They did that before the last boom and it didn't work out very well.

Its not always easy to get a job straight after achedmia anyway, and you may not finish in the time lines you expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Future earning potential, not guaranteed income unfortunately. Your best bet is probably to get a good broker who can advise on how best to apply

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭fungie

To clarify on that, it's a PhD scholarship, and I am also employed by the University as an "Occasional Academic". Unfortunately the scholarship stipend and the monthly salary come in via two seperate pay streams, with only the taxable income present on my main payslips / P60.

I was on a PhD scholarship too, It's not income and therefore banks won't accept it. The lecturing/labs/tutorials wouldn't count as you a contract employee rather than permanent, i.e. not tenured staff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

A banker is someone who will give you an umbrella on a sunny day, but will take it away as soon as it threatens to rain.

As someone above advised, a broker might be the way to go in this scenario.

Advertisement