Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of comparables

Options
  • 18-09-2018 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm looking to raise the rent of my apartment in a location in the west of Ireland. There is a serious lack of comparables in the area, is it ok to use the next town over or a town with similar traits as a comparable for this rental increase. This rental property is not in a rent pressure zone btw. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

Yes, you can use properties in a similar area (urban, similar-sized town/village, rural) as comparables if there aren't enough properties available in your actual location. Just don't go picking Dublin commuter towns when your place is in the middle of nowhere in Clare or something; make sure they really are comparable in terms of location. Keep it reasonable and your tenant will be less likely to dispute (and less likely to win if they do).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Hello,

I'm looking to raise the rent of my apartment in a location in the west of Ireland. There is a serious lack of comparables in the area, is it ok to use the next town over or a town with similar traits as a comparable for this rental increase. This rental property is not in a rent pressure zone btw. Thanks

You have to approach it on the basis that a tenant looking for a rental would consider your comparators as alternatives to yours. If a person can't find accommodation in location x would they consider location Y?

Advertisement