Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for fruit tree ideas

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

we have a fig which is surviving but not thriving, in a sheltered spot at the back of the house. i think the variety is brown turkey.

Not sure which variety ours is but it fruits very well at this stage, having been in for about six years. Downside is that it is reasonably fast growing with quite soft wood, making it very prone to storm damage. Outside of the fruit it is an attractive tree, so worth the effort if you've a sheltered sunny spot available.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Do you have it in a pot or in the ground?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

This thread has become a mine of useful information. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I think lumen alluded to it above, but don't bother with cherries unless your intention is explicitly to feed the birds. We've a morello cherry tree and usually don't get any fruit off it. Of course, we could net it but that'd be a bit too much faff.

Advertisement