Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Classic to launch in December

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I made a pre-order. Then went and looked at Tomb Raider and DD on youtube and then cancelled my pre-order.

Although Crash and Abe look good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

anyone for cool boarders ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

anyone for cool boarders ?

You mean Cooooooooool borders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I've crash bandicoot trilogy on ps4 and it stands the test of time well. It's remastered though.
    I now have a 55 inch 4k tv as opposed to I think a 19 inch portable on my room in the 90s when I had a ps1. I think the graphics on the games I played on ps1 will look absolute rubbish now.

Snes graphics were very childish and cartoonish and will probably look better today than ps1 graphics which tried to look real (And did seem real at the time).
    Thinking of tomb raider, silent hill, gran turismo, resident evil when I say this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Scalpers were disappointed with the SNES mini since there was lots of them released.
    Hope it's the same with this. I'm not bothered to pre order this thing. Doesn't do much for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

Scalpers were disappointed with the SNES mini since there was lots of them released.
    Hope it's the same with this. I'm not bothered to pre order this thing. Doesn't do much for me.

I did see a fair few go for double the price on Adverts.ie etc when SNES Mini came out despite better stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,806 ✭✭✭✭Penn

As much as I like the idea of it, and would have to see what games come with it, I can't really see myself picking one up either. The only game of the five announced I'd be interested in playing would be Tekken 3, which I did love, but really can't see myself playing it as much as I did back then. Same would be likely for any other game I could think of them releasing on it. I replayed MGS1 a few years ago on PS3. That probably would have been the only game I would have been interested in if it was even announced for it.

It's definitely a nice-to-have, but with the amount of new games coming out between Xmas and March next year I don't think I'd play it all that much if I did get it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,450 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So the included games are being decided by region which could mean Europe gets shafted with subpar games as Sony can't be arsed getting licenses.

However I'd be more worried they stick the European versions of the games on there that are ruined by being slowed down to 50Hz mode and letterboxed. Also wouldn't be surprised if this is the case that there is bad framepacing issues like with other PAL 50Hz games sold on PSN.

• Retr0gamer wrote: »
    So the included games are being decided by region which could mean Europe gets shafted with subpar games as Sony can't be arsed getting licenses.

However I'd be more worried they stick the European versions of the games on there that are ruined by being slowed down to 50Hz mode and letterboxed. Also wouldn't be surprised if this is the case that there is bad framepacing issues like with other PAL 50Hz games sold on PSN.
    Is there a source for this?
    50hz :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,450 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Few sources for games varying by region which is fair enough, the Japanese have different games they associate with playstation but could mean a difference between US and EU games. Nothing confirmed and might not be so bad.

https://appuals.com/playstation-classic-game-availability-will-vary-with-region/

The 50Hz thing is speculation but PS1 games outside of a few exceptions like the Resident Evil games have mostly been the 50Hz versions on PSN. Sony could continue with this.... or they might do a Nintendo who (finally) gave us just the NTSC roms with the SNES mini.

• Advertisement

I'm hearing the games are on a memory card you put into the machine ? .....sounds like an easy way for the machine to get hacked.... which it inevitable will be...

Anyone remember disruptor ? Has to be one of the games !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I have the original

still works

good few games with it also

might consider selling it if the price is right

Anyone remember disruptor ? Has to be one of the games !!!

One of the blandest FPS games ever made that looked good for its time but even then got lambasted by critics for being dull?

Not going to shed any tears if it's never released again!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    One of the blandest FPS games ever made that looked good for its time but even then got lambasted by critics for being dull?

Not going to shed any tears if it's never released again!

I remember loving it at the time.....lots of cut scenes. Very dramatic .... very advanced at the time...

It was Insomniacs first game... and that's about the most interesting thing you could say about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I'm hearing the games are on a memory card you put into the machine ? .....sounds like an easy way for the machine to get hacked.... which it inevitable will be...

As dirty as this sounds, I'm highly anticipating this possibility lol

Strong rumors all over the internet that the classic will feature Warhammer: Shadow of the horned rat......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Niska

Strong rumors all over the internet that the classic will feature Warhammer: Shadow of the horned rat......

The first game I had on the Playstation!

Thought with licensing etc it would be unlikely, but if it is on it (and its not currently available on PS Store for PSVita / PS3) I'll very seriously consider getting a classic...

I really enjoyed the sequel... on PC. The PS1 game in comparison was unplayable.

Also it was one of the first games I had to test a brand new Power VR card on so that might have been a big factor as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

sugarman wrote: »
    I'm willing to bet it's a PlayStation TV inside a new case running new firmware.

That's what I heard the lads over at Giant Bombcast reckoning as well.

If it ends up being hackable, which it probably will, I'm totally shoving Thrill Kill onto it.

Thrill_kill_cover.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Inviere

sugarman wrote: »
    I'm willing to bet it's a PlayStation TV inside a new case running new firmware.

More than likely. The newly released 3.69 firmware hasn’t been exploited yet. 3.68 was, but the guy is finished with the Vita now. He’s making the 3.68 hack open source so others can see how he done it, but with the vulnerability patched, I wouldn’t hold your breath for now.
    Seve OB wrote: »
    I have the original

still works

good few games with it also

might consider selling it if the price is right

The system itself isn’t worth anything, though depending on the games, they might be

It's quite likely it will use similar processor and GPU as PSTV. Makes sense to re-use something which already has a PS1 emulator.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it will be a "PSTV in a new case". Too simplistic a description. The Classic has no need for much of the PSTV hardware - ethernet controllers, wifi, bluetooth etc. Taking away these things will reduce the attack surface.

It's worth noting that it took years for the Vita and PSTV to be hacked, they were pretty well locked down. And a lot of the eventual Vita and PSTV hacks relied on web browser vulnerabilities and things like this. The nature of a box like the Classic - which doesn't need networking, doesn't need a user-updateable firmware, doesn't need to run any external code etc - is that it's very easy to lock down if they put the effort in.

Nintendo didn't even try, for whatever reason. Sony might.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Other than simplifying things if they kept it to ARM for porting the emulator, I don't think there's a good reason to use the same hardware. While the PSP sold a lot due to how readily it was pirated that hurt it's software sales, but for this while officially Sony couldn't it would help them if this could be hacked. They're not trying to sell any other games on it, and it's got no connection to PSN.

If they do a PS2 Classic, I hope they do have PSN connectivity and the option of additional storage. Considering the PS2 was their first step there with the HDD and network adapter/Modem.

I assume there will be at least one first person shooter... probably Medal of Honor ? .... but I could really go for some Doom....

WHEN ARE THESE GAMES GOING TO BE ANNOUNCED !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭IBrows89

Micro Maniacs used to be one of my favorite (away from big names) games. Such good level designs!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I assume there will be at least one first person shooter... probably Medal of Honor ? .... but I could really go for some Doom....

WHEN ARE THESE GAMES GOING TO BE ANNOUNCED !!!

Difficult to know with EA, have fond memories of Medal of Honor: Underground though.

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Difficult to know with EA, have fond memories of Medal of Honor: Underground though.

I rember taking a sick day from school and completing that game in a day... kid life was much more simple then adult life.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Inviere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

FPS not really appealing without analogue sticks.

Advertisement