Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Classic to launch in December

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Varik wrote: »
    FPS not really appealing without analogue sticks.

I’d take Doom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Just pre ordered in store at Smyths Carrickmines, they said it was in high demand but nowhere near as much as the NES and SNES mini. I hope it gets hacked so we can load on lots of other titles but lets see how much storage is on this and if it's a Linux based OS or some sort of proprietary locked down OS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Any more updates on launch games?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Quite a good list, pleasantly surprised to see Revelations: Persona as it never got an EU release back in the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Not the worst list, but i think I'll cancel my pre-order and maybe try get one down the line after someone cracks it open and I see what the possibilities are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

That is an incredible list of games. 3 of my top 5 PS1 games are included, delighted now that I preordered.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Honestly the lack of a DualShock controller pretty much writes it off for me - serious error IMO, given some of the 3d games in there.

No THPS2 doesn’t help, mind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Starting to get interested in this now. Wonder how syphon filter has aged? Used to really like that game, alongside GTA, MGS and destruction derby back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Honestly the lack of a DualShock controller pretty much writes it off for me - serious error IMO, given some of the 3d games in there.

No THPS2 doesn’t help, mind!

Activision let the rights to that license expire a few years ago, not before killing it off any interest in it with a rushed Pro Skater 5 tho :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

jjpep wrote: »
    Starting to get interested in this now. Wonder how syphon filter has aged? Used to really like that game, alongside GTA, MGS and destruction derby back in the day.

Twisted Metal was the one "under the radar" game I was hoping for so I was delighted to see it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The Japanese version has a different list of games if anyone is thinking of importing.
    Arc the Lad
    Arc the Lad 2
    Armored Core
    Ridge Racer Type 4
    Intelligent Qube
    Gradius Gaiden
    XI [sái]
    SaGa Frontier
    G Darius
    Jumping Flash
    Super Puzzle Fighter IIX
    Tekken 3
    Toshinden
    Biohazard (RE1) Director's Cut
    Parasite Eve
    Final Fantasy VII International
    Mr. Driller
    Persona 1
    Metal Gear Solid
    Wild Arms

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,302 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That's not a great line up of games. Some very poor choices.

Battle Arena Toshinden

It looked amazing at launch but is a terrible fighting game. Garbage

Cool Boarders 2

Not a bad game but it's not tony hawks.

Destruction Derby

It's aged terribly and looks really basic now. Still some fun to be had but the sequel was a massive improvement

Final Fantasy VII

No issues

Grand Theft Auto

Still holds up and is a lot of fun. However the PS1 version has some features removed.

Intelligent Qube

A hidden gem. Great puzzle game

Jumping Flash!

Another hidden gem. Fantastic 3D platformer that actually works really well.

Metal Gear Solid

No complaints.

Mr. Driller

Surprised to see this. Odd choice but a great one.

Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee

No issues

Rayman

Decent if not amazing platformer

Resident Evil Director's Cut

What the hell is this doing here? It's a total butchering of the original. It was supposed to be an uncut version but Capcom messed up and it's still cut. They also replaced the originals fantastic soundtrack with utter garbage.

A complete farce they didn't include the original instead

Revelations: Persona

Terrible choice for a RPG. This one has aged very badly with a really slow combat system made worse by load times. The English release was also butched with half the game's content cut out of it.

There's a better PSP version and Persona 2 would have been a much better choice.

Ridge Racer Type 4

No issues

Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo

No issues

Syphon Filter

This has aged very badly and just isn't much fun

Tekken 3

No issues

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six

A terrible port of the pc original. Complete crap.

Twisted Metal

I guess it's an iconic PS1 game. It's also aged badly and isn't much fun. There was a much better sequel

Wild Arms

Middling RPG from Sony. At least they didn't pick legend of dragoon.

There's plenty of games there that could be dropped for a square Enid classic like valkyrie profile.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,302 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Xenji wrote: »
    The Japanese version has a different list of games if anyone is thinking of importing.

That's a way better list. G Darius, Gradius Gaiden and Parasite Eve are classics.

jjpep wrote: »
    Wonder how syphon filter has aged? Used to really like that game

I played it a few weeks back and it hasn't aged well at all imo. Nor has Twisted Metal 1 or Destruction Derby 1. There's quite a few games here where the sequel would have been a much better choice.

I know it would be hard to pin down a list to please everyone with a library so big(as well as licensing headaches for tony hawk, gran turismo etc.) but there's some glaring omissions from what I'd define as a playstation classic game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Didn't own a PS1 so not overly familiar with the lineup but still entertaining an idea of picking one up, especially if someone hacks it relatively easily.
    MGS, Tekken 3, Oddworld and Puzzle Fighter and Resident Evil are good choices. I don't think GTA was as good on the PlayStation. What was Destruction Derby like?
    Shame there's no Crash, Capcom/Street Fighter/Marvel/X-men or whatever it was, Spyro, Soul Blade, Tombi...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

why do you imagine the european price of €99.99 to be anything other than €99.99 here in Ireland, part of Europe?
    Indeed, what a contradiction that was! The poster essentially said that the price in Ireland (which is in Europe as we all know) will be €150 but the price in Europe (which as we all know is the continent Ireland is located) will be €100ish. How feckin confusing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

I played it a few weeks back and it hasn't aged well at all imo. Nor has Twisted Metal 1 or Destruction Derby 1. There's quite a few games here where the sequel would have been a much better choice.

I know it would be hard to pin down a list to please everyone with a library so big(as well as licensing headaches for tony hawk, gran turismo etc.) but there's some glaring omissions from what I'd define as a playstation classic game.

Feared as much...

I think the making of this then will be if it can be jailbroken or not then. Some one else said there's no dual shock - that would be a huge mistake if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

highdef wrote: »
    Indeed, what a contradiction that was! The poster essentially said that the price in Ireland (which is in Europe as we all know) will be €150 but the price in Europe (which as we all know is the continent Ireland is located) will be €100ish. How feckin confusing!

Can't remember the last time I've seen it but there has been some stuff that was upped in price here, usually blamed on the high vat. Tends to be just the single RRP now.

PS3 was €630.

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Didn't own a PS1 so not overly familiar with the lineup but still entertaining an idea of picking one up, especially if someone hacks it relatively easily.
    MGS, Tekken 3, Oddworld and Puzzle Fighter and Resident Evil are good choices. I don't think GTA was as good on the PlayStation. What was Destruction Derby like?
    Shame there's no Crash, Capcom/Street Fighter/Marvel/X-men or whatever it was, Spyro, Soul Blade, Tombi...

The capcom fighters on PS1 were awful though. Really bad versions of the arcade games. Crash and spyro have the remakes so no way we would see them.

Also the resident evil we are getting is a butchered version of the original. The directors cut is a travesty.

• Advertisement

Varik wrote: »
    Can't remember the last time I've seen it but there has been some stuff that was upped in price here, usually blamed on the high vat. Tends to be just the single RRP now.

PS3 was €630.

PS3 was 600 but retailers upped the price themselves. I doubt they will do it for the classic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Am I correct in saying that the games for this console will be on a removable disc/minidisc? Or was that a dream? :) If it’s true, at least then there’s a small possibility of further games becoming available for the system at some point. (Probably still dreaming...)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭pah

Am I correct in saying that the games for this console will be on a removable disc/minidisc? Or was that a dream? :) If it’s true, at least then there’s a small possibility of further games becoming available for the system at some point. (Probably still dreaming...)

Don't think so they're built into the device memory

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

I doubt it, it's almost certainly Tech of more or less the same design as the NES/SNES minis.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

as long as FF7 is there i’ll be buying, without doubt the greatest game ever invented

I would have taken FF9 instead to be honest. No complaints with 7 being there instead though.

I'm debating cancelling the preorder now. Some great titles there but some awful shit as well.

• Same here and I also already have a PSTV so I think I'm just throwing money away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

How can they not have parappa

• Advertisement

Yeah it's an odd ommission.

As for resident evil DC. The dual shock edition has the crappy music. The version here is pretty good.

Advertisement