Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Classic to launch in December

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    As for resident evil DC. The dual shock edition has the crappy music. The version here is pretty good.

Wait I’m confused, I thought you mentioned in a previous post that the soundtrack was altered/replaced in the DC version? Or are there different versions made for use with the original controller and the DualShock?!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I’d be interested in probably half of the games. It’s a really strange selection with so many obvious omissions.

Did anyone want to play Rainbow Six on the PSOne at launch even?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Wait I’m confused, I thought you mentioned in a previous post that the soundtrack was altered/replaced in the DC version? Or are there different versions made for use with the original controller and the DualShock?!

There's two director's cuts I think. One is the Director's Cut: Dual Shock version, which has the sh!tty music. But seeing as the ps classic doesn't support dualshock controllers it isn't likely to be that version included here.

Like this classic here-

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

That's a way better list. G Darius, Gradius Gaiden and Parasite Eve are classics.

No its not, utter nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

da gamer wrote: »
    No its not, utter nonsense.

Take out

Destruction Derby
    Syphon Filter
    Rainbow 6
    Revelations: Persona

Add in

Arc the Lad II
    Parasite Eve
    Armored Core
    G-Darius

That would be a far better list for me anyway.

• Advertisement

Xenji wrote: »
    Take out

Destruction Derby
    Syphon Filter
    Rainbow 6
    Revelations: Persona

Add in

Arc the Lad II
    Parasite Eve
    Armored Core
    G-Darius

That would be a far better list for me anyway.

Thats swapping and changing games. The other poster claimed the other list of games was far better than the eu list, which its not.

I did. More fool me tbh, game was and still is diabolical

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭pah

No tomb raider makes me sad

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Actually the more I think about it, the more I’m tempted to cancel my pre-order. There’s some genuinely awful games in there and given the library they had to pull from, it’s a big let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Its a solid line up tbh, im absolutely gobsmacked Tomb raider is not on it though, major WTF..

Syphon filter, the lil gem!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,302 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

da gamer wrote: »
    Thats swapping and changing games. The other poster claimed the other list of games was far better than the eu list, which its not.

But it is, even if that list isn't perfect either. There's a lot more utter duds on the western list that could be replaced with the much better games Xenji listed.

It's a real missed opportunity either way considering how right Nintendo got it and the library Sony could have pulled from. They were obviously working with Capcom, Namco and Konami and could have pulled far better games. Even their own first party stuff has some crackers they could have included.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,302 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I’d be interested in probably half of the games. It’s a really strange selection with so many obvious omissions.

It got a few 1/10's :D

I guess they had Ubisoft on board so had to put another game on there along with rayman.

nix wrote: »
    Its a solid line up tbh, im absolutely gobsmacked Tomb raider is not on it though, major WTF..

Syphon filter, the lil gem!

Not for €100 it's not imo. I wont get into what should or shouldn't have been included but the number of games included on this list that have sequels that improve on the original in every way is baffling

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The thing about the SNES mini is that it’s all killer stuff... even the ‘aged’ ones like Star Fox justify their inclusion out of historic value (doubly so Star Fox 2). It’s just a ****load of masterpieces in one tiny box.

This... well, to be frank, if feels like a cheap copy. The selection feels cheap - a few gems mixed in with a considerable amount of filler. The device feels cheap - the lack of analogue controllers proving that. The Japanese model is notably better just due to a stronger selection of games... but I still don’t think it quite justifies its existence in the way Nintendo’s mini consoles do. A shame, because I think putting a bit more effort in and it could have been a properly worthwhile device - hell, even if it cost an extra fifty quid it’d be worth it if the games and controllers justified the premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Cancelled my pre order today, for me, other than Tekken 3, Syphon, FFVII and MGS there wasn't much else and I would only be buying it for it to sit on a shelf...

If I ever have the urge to play them games I can emulate on my PC with my PS4 controller if I want, serious collection they could have had on it but I suspect licensing had a lot to do with the poor choices of games....

Didn't scream buy me the way the Nintendo one's did...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Not for €100 it's not imo. I wont get into what should or shouldn't have been included but the number of games included on this list that have sequels that improve on the original in every way is baffling

Ah i understand yeah, i myself wouldnt buy this, even if it was for €50. But i can understand why they went with the originals, as people who havent played them before would be missing out on a whole prior game.

Theres also alot on it i havent/wouldnt play, but i can respect the choices as it looks like they want to include a game to cover each type of game. A beat em up, racing, puzzle, rpg, action etc

But it is, even if that list isn't perfect either. There's a lot more utter duds on the western list that could be replaced with the much better games Xenji listed.

It's a real missed opportunity either way considering how right Nintendo got it and the library Sony could have pulled from. They were obviously working with Capcom, Namco and Konami and could have pulled far better games. Even their own first party stuff has some crackers they could have included.

I agree there could be better games included, but some of the best games made for the platform are included like ff7, mgs, tekken and resi. Personally think tomb raider, gran turismo, crash bandicoot, soul reaver, wipeout and a few sports games to name a few should be on there but you are never going to have a list that will suit everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭petejmk

Anyone know how to go about cancelling a Smyth's pre-order?

Well Nintendo managed it with the SNES mini which had not got one dud on the system. The worst was Donkey Kong Country, but even that was a decent platform and iconic to the platform.

The problem here is there are some absolute duds on the list. Rainbow six is just utter garbage, as is Persona which has half the game content cut out and isn't even fun anyway. Battle Arena Toshinden is also god awful. There's a few others that are ok but time hasn't been kind. It's just weird these games are included considering the pool Sony could pull from, not just third parties but its own first party releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Inviere

Actually the more I think about it, the more I’m tempted to cancel my pre-order. There’s some genuinely awful games in there and given the library they had to pull from, it’s a big let down.

Have gone ahead and cancelled mine, the lineup is hugely disappointing. Combine this with the likelihood that the PAL games will be the 50Hz versions, and it's a box full of disappointment. My advice is to pick up a Vita TV on any version firmware except the latest one (3.69), and it can very easily become what this should have been (and more!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

That line-up doesn't scream buy me at all, certainly not at the €100 price point. For something which is primarily relying on nostalgia to sell, it doesn't manage to evoke many feelings like that at all, at least not for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Not a terrible list, a few you'd question why they didn't chose superior sequels, but...Rainbow Six? Really? Of all the FPS titles on the console, they chose that....

petejmk wrote: »
    Anyone know how to go about cancelling a Smyth's pre-order?

I had trouble cancelling the preorder on their main website but it's very easy to do on their mobile site. Just go into your account, select the order and you'll have the option to cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Cancelled mine too, was hoping for Medal of Honor and Tomb Raider along with MGS, only got one of them. Would love to play FF7 again too but I just know it'll spend most of its time not in use. I've a massive backlog already!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

At this stage I'm only interested to see if it can be hacked liked the SNES mini. Not a great list of games imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Cancelled my pre order too, pretty crappy list overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

5 games in the list I'm interested in not enough to hand over 100quid.
    Kinda sad really
    They should of just released a ps1 mini again with the list here as well as it been able to take discs or have an online store for it full of ps1 classics
    Been restricted to these 20games makes it off putting specially considering it's a disappointing list. I understand not everyone would be happy with the list as it's all personal preference but I don't think I've seen anyone even on reddit say they are happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Kinda glad I cancelled my pre-order now.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-11-08-weve-played-the-playstation-classic-and-its-a-disappointment

After reading around it seems some of the games are EU PAL versions, potentially 50hz, which could be crappy. It's also apparently using an open source emulator, PCSX. So seems like a shoddy product so far.

The UI looks awful, like some Chinese multi-game clone. It's got blocky unaliased text & icons. Based on the UI i'd be shocked if it has the PSTV hardware inside. It honestly looks like they farmed the classic out to the lowest bidder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Defiantly concerning......there are some nice games on it though..... i guess it will be worth it if it is hackable....

Advertisement