Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Classic to launch in December

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Kinda glad I cancelled my pre-order now.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-11-08-weve-played-the-playstation-classic-and-its-a-disappointment

After reading around it seems some of the games are EU PAL versions, potentially 50hz, which could be crappy. It's also apparently using an open source emulator, PCSX. So seems like a shoddy product so far.

Kotaku mentions Toshinden, GTA and Tekken 3 as having the SCEE logo appear at the start and SCEA for FFVII. Also a pic of the UI, its fairly lackluster.

https://kotaku.com/playstation-classic-plays-fine-but-it-s-a-bare-bones-e-1830294616

That game list was a warning to me, this was not going to be a time capsule to 90's greats but a slapdash effort. though some are speculating the hardware might just be a Vita TV so high likelihood for modding the feck out of it for other games/features.

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    though some are speculating the hardware might just be a Vita TV so high likelihood for modding the feck out of it for other games/features.
    It looks like that is not the case. There's mention of PCSX ReARMed (open source emulator). If it was Vita TV hardware they would surely use their own existing emulator.

Baffling why they're using pcsx. It's a good emulator but Sony's own pops is far superior.
    I wonder if we were wrong about the internals essentially being a pstv?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,302 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It just gets worse and worse. Shoddy emulation and PAL games.

Wouldn't call pcsx good either.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It just gets worse and worse. Shoddy emulation and PAL games.

Wouldn't call pcsx good either.

Tbf you don't call any PS1 emulator good.
    I'd love to know why Sony insist on giving Europe the ****ty roms even in 2018. Do they know we don't have any emotional attachment to them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Can I just ask what it is that everyone is getting so hyped about with this? Is it because no one still has a PS1 to play PS1 games on or is there something special about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    If it comes with Jonah Lomu Rugby it's an insta-buy for me!

Stransky with the restart

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,302 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Tbf you don't call any PS1 emulator good.
    I'd love to know why Sony insist on giving Europe the ****ty roms even in 2018. Do they know we don't have any emotional attachment to them?

I actually like Sony's in house emulation.

Really cheap going for an open source emulator.

Yeah, pops was great on the psp.
    I think Sony have made a big mistake not going Hardware based.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

This inspired me to give the emulator another go with Die Hard Trilogy. I figured out how to fix the graphical problem I was having and I just finished Die Hard 2 for the first time in about 20 years. OK I used a save state once but I was also messing around to fix that graphics problem. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Warper wrote: »
    Stransky with the restart

Trevor Williams... STEVIE WILLIAMS.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

This was a non runner since they announced non analog joypads, feck that, even if it gets cracked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Anyone hack it yet ?..... mmmm... maybe I should get a ps3 instead..., that plays all the ps1 games ?

So half the games on this collection are confirmed to be NTSC with the other half being the PAL versions. Which is absolutely shambolic to the highest degree. What makes it even more laughable is that the US version will include the PAL versions as well. So they can experience the god awful letterboxing and slowdown we did.

One of the games is also Tekken 3 which will be ruined by the slowdown.

Whoever is developing this are morons.

yeah just buying it now, to hack it.... have the snes classic... so many good games on it no need to hack it, it will take years to get through the games already on it

Digital foundry has a pretty damning breakdown.

Basically it's not even worth hacking. All games have judder and frame pacing issues and also feature performance dips not on original hardware. 50hz games are a total disaster with flickering and timing issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Surely if you hack it you can put the american versions on there

You can but if DF are right then the hardware isn't quite good enough to emulate the software to a high standard.

I getting closer and closer to canceling my pre order... anyone got a good raspberry pie ps1 recommendation ???

I getting closer and closer to canceling my pre order... anyone got a good raspberry pie ps1 recommendation ???

If you're going the Pi route for ps1 then the pi3 is a necessity, 1 or 2 won't cut it for anything above 16bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Going to keep my order. A lot of the games I like and would love to play. Disappointing if game play is as bad as reviews say but will wait and see for myself. Doubt they can patch it. Disappointed so far

If you're going the Pi route for ps1 then the pi3 is a necessity, 1 or 2 won't cut it for anything above 16bit

So you just buy the pi 3 and then you need an as card with games... is that all I need ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Back on topic please.

so.... is this out yet ? i got a message from smyths saying there was a problem with my payment....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

But I really want to play resident evil :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

But I really want to play resident evil :(

It's likely the worst version you could find. The HD remake is on most systems now & coming to Switch.

ERG89 wrote: »
    It's likely the worst version you could find. The HD remake is on most systems now & coming to Switch.

The Gamecube remake is a very different game to the original. I feel both are so different from one another that they are both well worth playing.

But you can find way better ways of playing the original than on this garbage system.

• Advertisement

• Out of interest if I pop a NTSC PS1 disk into my PS3 (assuming its EU / PAL console)
    Will it run and will it run at 60hz?

Advertisement