Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Classic to launch in December

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,302 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Out of interest if I pop a NTSC PS1 disk into my PS3 (assuming its EU / PAL console)
    Will it run and will it run at 60hz?

If it's hacked then yes, but the PS1 and 2 emulation on the PS3 is region locked so it won't work on a standard system.

It's the same with PS1 and 2, if the software is 60 Hz it will run at that refresh rate, which is different to other systems like the Saturn, megadrive, NES, SNES etc. But again you have to get over the region lock.

Might be better off buying the NTSC game from the PSN store. Games from the US store are NTSC. However a small handful of PAL PSN releases are the American versions, Resident evil games being one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I played resident evil 1 on an emulator today.....and I know a lot of people have said it... but my god... it really hasn’t aged gracefully..... but super mario world still looks like a work of art...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

• ^I can't fathom how if it was that easy for Sony to emulate then why the hell would the go out of there way and set some of the titles in PAL and others in NTSC with a simple menu option

Ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

The emulator settings on the PS Classic apparently only work with specific keyboards at the minute.

Here's a few more bits if anyone is interested.

Detailed thread (in French, that I'll translate) about what is happening with this mess:
    https://twitter.com/Zetsubou****ta/status/1069924696647454722
    Essentially:
    - The system is running on Android using YOCTO
    - The emulator is indeed PCSX-reArmed slightly modified but on a very old base, very badly optimized and badly implemented likely due to a lack of time
    - Debug mode wasn't removed meaning that you can access it with K75 type Corsair keyboards or different types of Logitech keyboards
    - The "60Hz" mode of the debug settings are just interpolating 50hz into 60hz by duplicating frames. aka it's still trash and isn't close to the original experience
    - It seems easy to connect the console to a PC and load PC HUBs in it but as of now not to change the games themselves
    - Hacking potential seems limited and overall pointless

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,302 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

^I can't fathom how if it was that easy for Sony to emulate then why the hell would the go out of there way and set some of the titles in PAL and others in NTSC with a simple menu option

Ridiculous

Changing a 50Hz title to 60Hz screws up the music and introduces timing based issues that lead to bugs.

“Limited and pointless” !!! Jaysus !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

If it was worth Sony doing it, it was worth them doing it well.
    This disaster is a waste of time for everyone and I hope it sells very poorly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

eyerer wrote: »
    If it was worth Sony doing it, it was worth them doing it well.
    This disaster is a waste of time for everyone and I hope it sells very poorly.

It probably won't unfortunately. Lots of people will buy it for the nostalgia.

Sony doing again what they've done this gen, been the suppliers of the bare minimum.

• Advertisement

It seems like an incredibly lazy and half-assed product.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Sony doing again what they've done this gen, been the suppliers of the bare minimum.
    I know I'm not the only one that remembers Xbox plans this gen to release a console on which you were never going to own the games. For that reason I don't see sony as the worst ones this gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Has anyone here actually got one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It probably won't unfortunately. Lots of people will buy it for the nostalgia.

What really annoys me is that people will mistakingly attribute a lot of the glitches and slowdown to thinking they just misremember how the game ran or that they just underestimated how badly some games aged.

Lazy effort. Was interested but definitely won't be picking it up at any point now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Has anyone here actually got one?

Will have on the 13th. Will let everyone know what I think. I am keeping it for Christmas so January

There is a channel I follow in youtube called Stephenplays who are going to do all the games not to complete but first 30 mins to an hour

The whole classic fiasco has moved me to start using an emulator instead... I was willing to pay... but not for that junk

People have done side by side comparisons.... it’s more then misremembering... the origiOnal disc games run better... they just rushed this thing out and didn’t give it any devolopment love

There not literally a bunch of hidden games on it. There's references to those games, suggesting at one point they were testing them before narrowing down the final line-up.
    With the way they announced 5 games to begin with and then nothing for months, most likely they were making these decisions at the last minute. Rush job.
    It would not surprise me if they had a 30+ short-list and then went out to publishers and asked what their best price was for each title. Then went with the cheapest options.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,614 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I suspect they wanted to do a 'DLC' on it

Sony have already said they won't be releasing any further games on it. I don't even think there's a mechanism by which to do it as it's not internet connected, unless you could install them via the USB slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

It's an outsourced emulator.

Normally emulators would have to game specific resources to allow compatibility.

• Advertisement

The whole classic fiasco has moved me to start using an emulator instead... I was willing to pay... but not for that junk

People have done side by side comparisons.... it’s more then misremembering... the origiOnal disc games run better... they just rushed this thing out and didn’t  give it any devolopment love
    Same here, retroarch is great. PCSX isn't highly regarded afaik.
    Will be interesting to hear if it is hackable. Adding games to the SNES mini made it a must have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

This Playstation classic is a load of arse. The magic of the SNES Mini is not here at all. Sorry I bothered buying it, the games are crap except for Rainbow 6. Foo u Sony. I already have a Jailbroken PS3 so I dunno why I bothered, novelty I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

the games are crap except for Rainbow 6.

Isn't the PS version of Rainbow 6 supposed to be a disaster?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I dunno, I never played it on the original Playstation 1 so cannot really compare the differences.

It's one of the worst games for the system and a travesty compared to the PC original.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

This Playstation classic is a load of arse.

This should be on the poster :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

So I've just watched a video showing it has been hacked and looks fairly simple to do. Fairly sure I'm going to buy one tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭r0chf0rt

If anyone is considering buying this, gamestop will be selling it for 59.99 in their sale. Just got the email.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

r0chf0rt wrote: »
    If anyone is considering buying this, gamestop will be selling it for 59.99 in their sale. Just got the email.

When do level 3 get access?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭r0chf0rt

Just logged in there. It doesn't seem to be live yet for level 3

Advertisement