Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

threeball wrote: »
    We would do with a really top class free taker. Shane Walsh is good but a little too inconsistent. You need a guy with 80-85% plus conversion rate from inside the 45.

I wonder would Shane benifit from being relieved of the free taking duties

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Kinvara getting well beat at HT but the scoreline would suggest there must be a fair breeze favouring Tooreen in that half?

The goal kinvara got could be crucial

Kinvara beaten and sounded like from Midwest it should have been a lot more

Far too many senior teams in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

jr86 wrote: »

In reality it shouldn't be a surprise that toreen won - they were the closet team to oranmore last year when on their way to the all-ireland title.

Fully agree that there's too many teams in the Galway SHC.

RMAOK wrote: »
    In reality it shouldn't be a surprise that toreen won - they were the closet team to oranmore last year when on their way to the all-ireland title.

Fully agree that there's too many teams in the Galway SHC.

Tooreen are a fine side, but it sounded like they should have won that by about 10 points at least. Oranmore (who were an exception) beat everyone in Galway intermediate by a cricket score last year too. It's a woeful standard since they increased the number of senior teams

At least the football has the right idea cutting the senior teams - and Galway have now won two Connacht intermediates in a row to boot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Not that surprised. Kinvara apart from Conor Whelan are not a great side and were blessed to win the Galway final.

Tooreen gave Oranmore a decent game last year and Oranmore are a far better side than Kinvara IMO.

There are too many senior clubs alright. Could easily get rid of 4 to 6 of them. You actually have to make a major effort to get relegated. Some senior clubs shipped some awful beatings all year and still stayed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

I wonder would Shane benifit from being relieved of the free taking duties

Be no harm. Couple of missed frees knocks his confidence. Plus with the ground he covers he's not the ideal guy to have on frees in the 72nd minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

Barry McHugh, but probably not good enough in open play at the top level?

Peter Cooke maybe? Or is he in the States for next year?

Galway producing plenty of quality forwards

Any shout for Jason Leonard? He nailed 3 frees last weekend from 45 yards and further.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 PJ98

Any shout for Jason Leonard? He nailed 3 frees last weekend from 45 yards and further.

Not good enough from what I've seen of him but he is improving, would imagine he'll get his chance though.

Anyone know who the 10 Galway lads who togged with NUIG last week, I saw O'Beolain, D'Arcy, Maher, Conneely, Finnerty, Mulkerrin & O'Domhnaill but not sure who the other 3 were?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

PJ98 wrote: »
    Not good enough from what I've seen of him but he is improving, would imagine he'll get his chance though.

Anyone know who the 10 Galway lads who togged with NUIG last week, I saw O'Beolain, D'Arcy, Maher, Conneely, Finnerty, Mulkerrin & O'Domhnaill but not sure who the other 3 were?

Possibly not but he's streets ahead of Barry McHugh. On another note I see Mick Culhane is putting his name forward for co board chairman, he's a man with a business background, could be a positive move you'd think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

The other 3 was. Conor Campbell, Aidan Claffey,Finnian Ó Laoi

Molloy is still in college but presumably is busy with Corofin at the moment.

Is Cooke still in college or has he left?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

From the Galway footballers Facebook page

1. Ronan O'Beolain (Galway)
    2. Stephen Brennan (Mayo)
    3. Eoin O'Donoghue (Mayo)
    4. Conor Campbell (Galway)
    5. Kevin McDonnell (Sligo)
    6. Sean Mulkerrin (Galway)
    7. Aidan Claffey (Galway)
    8. Céin D'Arcy (Galway)
    9. Matthew Ruane (Mayo)
    10. John Maher (Galway)
    11. Owen Gallagher (Antrim)
    12. Finnian Ó Laoi (Galway)
    13. Patrick O'Donnell (Galway)
    14. Rob Finnerty (Galway)
    15. Dessie Conneely (Galway)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

macslash wrote:
    1. Ronan O'Beolain (Galway) 2. Stephen Brennan (Mayo) 3. Eoin O'Donoghue (Mayo) 4. Conor Campbell (Galway) 5. Kevin McDonnell (Sligo) 6. Sean Mulkerrin (Galway) 7. Aidan Claffey (Galway) 8. Céin D'Arcy (Galway) 9. Matthew Ruane (Mayo) 10. John Maher (Galway) 11. Owen Gallagher (Antrim) 12. Finnian Ó Laoi (Galway) 13. Patrick O'Donnell (Galway) 14. Rob Finnerty (Galway) 15. Dessie Conneely (Galway)

I've back them the last few years to win the Sigerson as they've had some quality panels. This year could be the best of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I've back them the last few years to win the Sigerson as they've had some quality panels. This year could be the best of them.

You'd have to think Cillian McDaid is in there also given he was in last year and obviously wouldn't be finished a course so soon. I'd be surprised if Cooke was already finished buy may be so

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    You'd have to think Cillian McDaid is in there also given he was in last year and obviously wouldn't be finished a course so soon. I'd be surprised if Cooke was already finished buy may be so

I don't think McDaid is in college. He was working in the bank in college alright but as far as I know he isn't a student. Unless something has changed since.

Molloy will come back into that team anyway. Not sure if Cooke is still in college but if he is they will have some team for the Sigerson after Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I don't think McDaid is in college. He was working in the bank in college alright but as far as I know he isn't a student. Unless something has changed since.

He was named on the panel last year, Ah Ref on twitter had the full list posted. Then the Dublin injury happened which I assumed curtailed involvement

• Registered Users Posts: 11 PJ98

McDaid should be still studying unless he's left without graduating.

What do lads think of Brian Mannion, had a very good county final. Will he be good enough to make the step up? Think he's still only 19, can't recall him playing for Galway minors in recent years although I know he was on the u20 panel this year but spent a lot of the time out injured.

macslash wrote: »
    From the Galway footballers Facebook page

1. Ronan O'Beolain (Galway)
    2. Stephen Brennan (Mayo)
    3. Eoin O'Donoghue (Mayo)
    4. Conor Campbell (Galway)
    5. Kevin McDonnell (Sligo)
    6. Sean Mulkerrin (Galway)
    7. Aidan Claffey (Galway)
    8. Céin D'Arcy (Galway)
    9. Matthew Ruane (Mayo)
    10. John Maher (Galway)
    11. Owen Gallagher (Antrim)
    12. Finnian Ó Laoi (Galway)
    13. Patrick O'Donnell (Galway)
    14. Rob Finnerty (Galway)
    15. Dessie Conneely (Galway)

Beaten in the final tonight by 1-8 to 0-7 v UUJ.

Beaten in the final tonight by 1-8 to 0-7 v UUJ.

UUJ very defensive. NUIG had a big wind advantage in the first half but only went in level at HT after kicking 5 or 6 wides. UUJ didn't kick a wide in the first half. Were always going to be up against after that playing into the wind.

• Advertisement

Molloy will come back into that team anyway. Not sure if Cooke is still in college but if he is they will have some team for the Sigerson after Christmas.

Saw him walking around town in a suit recently which seems to signify he isnt a student.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Robert2014

Hard luck to Killerin/clonberne. Great effort!!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭bigdaddymac

Any word on the hurling panel that started training this week?

Any new faces etc

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭mjp

Robert2014 wrote:
    Hard luck to Killerin/clonberne. Great effort!!

As brave a performance as I have seen by any Galway team in a final in a long time. Battled to the very end after loosing one of their main players Nicola ward through injury and didn't deserve to loose against an experienced mourneabbey side. Brilliant game to watch on TV Hopefully they can come back next year and get the win they deserve.

It's once again job done for Corofin but they really seem to be huffing and puffing their way through each round

Can't see them losing a final in CP so it would appear the best hope of stopping them would be Nemo in a semi. Surely there's still a few scars there from the 2018 final though?

Bit of a surprise in Munster hurling - Thomas's will face Borrisoleigh as opposed to ballygunner. The Toms experience should surely count for a lot in that one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

It's once again job done for Corofin but they really seem to be huffing and puffing their way through each round

Can't see them losing a final in CP so it would appear the best hope of stopping them would be Nemo in a semi. Surely there's still a few scars there from the 2018 final though?

Bit of a surprise in Munster hurling - Thomas's will face Borrisoleigh as opposed to ballygunner. The Toms experience should surely count for a lot in that one

Personally Clonmel Commercials and Nemo Rangers, are a lot better than Padraig Pearses. I think that Clonmel though can cause an upset against Nemo Rangers next Sunday imo. The Kennedy's and Michael Quinlivan are terrific footballers and the team will have no inferiority complex whatsoever.

They have huge powerful and physical men in their team and have no shortage of skill either. Above all else they have a gameplan that suits winter football down to a tee and have players that can score from distance, which is huge for this time of year.

Corofin might be running a bit on empty, but to win Connacht, Galway and All-Ireland championships, year in year out is a true testament of what a special club they are. A sign of a good team is when they keep on winning, in spite of not being at their best.

They are wonderful role models for Galway and GAA in general. A perfect example of how a GAA club makes the most of the resources, available to them. Above all else they have some wonderful footballers to boot and play the game the progressive and right way. Fair dues to them is all I'll say.

Corofin won't be beaten in All-Ireland series. Their biggest challengers and tests are in Connacht and their own championship. I won't be surprised if Corofin win their next two games more comfortably than their last 4 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

In all honesty it's really really hard to see it but Ballyboden St. Enda's might have something to say about that.Relatively recent all Ireland champions.

Liam Silke came up trumps again today and Dylan Wall is surely a lad Joyce will have a close look at.

I know a poster mentioned Jason Leonard wasn't ready for inter county level.His place kicking against Ballintubber was exceptional given the time of the year.

Plenty of talent likely to come through the Galway ranks with young Culhane and Mc Laughlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

seligehgit wrote: »
    In all honesty it's really really hard to see it but Ballyboden St. Enda's might have something to say about that.Relatively recent all Ireland champions.

Liam Silke came up trumps again today and Dylan Wall is surely a lad Joyce will have a close look at.

I know a poster mentioned Jason Leonard wasn't ready for inter county level.His place kicking against Ballintubber was exceptional given the time of the year.

Plenty of talent likely to come through the Galway ranks with young Culhane and Mc Laughlin.

I'd have to agree with JR here. The best chance to catch them is in a soft pitch in Limerick or Ennis. If they get to Croke Park its curtains for whoever plays them. Boden would have less chance than Glenties. Corofin would tear them a new one on the counter.
    Its conceivable that they get beaten in the semi as they are not going well but they have a few weeks to put together a gameplan for whoever they come against and theres not many better than Dave Morris at that.

• Advertisement

I see what youre saying Seligehit but I actually think a big City team like Boden is meat and drink to Corofin in Croke Park

It'll be a real dogged and tough team on a mucky and wet pitch who will give them the most bother.

But I actually think Castlebar with Alan Flynn at the helm might be the best bet to be the next team to beat them. IF they can navigate Mayo next year.

Advertisement