Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

I'm surprised there's only one match on in Tuam as there was a lot of talk Joyce wanted two to be played there.

In theory would Athenry be able to host the hurlers for a round? Just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Last year was in Waterford, didnt play in 2018 and 2017 was in Salthill, you must be going down there for something else :D

In all seriousness though, the cnstant changing of league formats has undoubtedly caused annomalies like this and is kind of unavoidable.

We played them in Walsh Park in 13,14,15,16 and 19. They played one game in Pearse Stadium in 17. Seems a bit lob sided to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

We played them in Walsh Park in 13,14,15,16 and 19. They played one game in Pearse Stadium in 17. Seems a bit lob sided to me.

Which I just explained is as a result of the chopping and changing of formats

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

grbear wrote: »
    I'm surprised there's only one match on in Tuam as there was a lot of talk Joyce wanted two to be played there.

In theory would Athenry be able to host the hurlers for a round? Just curious.

With the new stand in tuam going in they need to do some drainage works on the pitch and have it in peak condition for winter football. Then pick up as many league games as possible and also have a great surface for club championship for county and provincial games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Corofin's under 20/21 and minor drought continues. Not even a north board title in 5 years.

Claregalway and Salthill - the likely future powerhouses of Galway football - will meet in the final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

jr86 wrote: »
    Corofin's under 20/21 and minor drought continues. Not even a north board title in 5 years.

Claregalway and Salthill - the likely future powerhouses of Galway football - will meet in the final

The new school opening in Claregalway a few years ago will be huge for them as well. Good few intercounty players on the staff there so the kids are getting quality coaching in school as well.

The new school opening in Claregalway a few years ago will be huge for them as well. Good few intercounty players on the staff there so the kids are getting quality coaching in school as well.

Its a shame for them Danny is unavailable next year in senior as they have some serious talent coming through from underage. That said they gained some great experience this year, could see them going on a very good run next year. Not long till they're in a county final I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Robert2014

I think it's premature to talk of Salthill and Claregalway as likely powerhouses of Galway football. It's no guarantee that underage success leads to senior success. Just look at Galway hurling and football in the noughties for examples of that. I would wait until one of them are competitive against Corofin at senior level before we can talk about becoming powerhouses!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

Robert2014 wrote: »
    I think it's premature to talk of Salthill and Claregalway as likely powerhouses of Galway football. It's no guarantee that underage success leads to senior success. Just look at Galway hurling and football in the noughties for examples of that. I would wait until one of them are competitive against Corofin at senior level before we can talk about becoming powerhouses!

Agreed. Salthill have been enjoying this type of underage success for many's a year and still little enough to show for it at Senior level. Equally, Claregalway haven't a lot of tradition at adult level and it can take quite a while to build up that reserve of 'know-how' and experience to compete regularly in the top echelons. They did give a good game to Tuam in the semis this year though.

I don't particularly agree either that urban areas will the powerhouses of the future in Galway GAA. Tradition means a lot, especially to rural clubs where the club is a badge of identity, much more so than in city regions, where players don't have as many ties to their area. Also, players in towns/cities more likely to be lost to other codes, moreso than country players whose main allegiance would be GAA. To me, Thomases' beating Mellows in successive finals would be rather an example of this.

Times are changing though. The last two seasons has seen 5 teams relegated in the Galway football championship. Each one of them is a small rural club outside of the Galway commuter belt. The 3 that replaced them are all west clubs all within a half hour drive of the City.

Underage has never seen such sustained success by clubs that are basically suburbs of Galway City. Moycullen, Salthill and Claregalway are essentially winning everything at underage now. Oranmore look to be coming also - in both codes

Them clubs are fielding about 4 teams at under 12 and 14 level. That never ever happened before until recently.

There's no money in farming anymore, young lads aren't going into trades - there's very little work outside the cities for young couples, so hence why population levels are rising and rising more than ever in the City and its suburbs, and dwindling heavily in rural areas

More and more clubs are amalgamating as a result

MfMan wrote: »
    Agreed. Salthill have been enjoying this type of underage success for many's a year and still little enough to show for it at Senior level. Equally, Claregalway haven't a lot of tradition at adult level and it can take quite a while to build up that reserve of 'know-how' and experience to compete regularly in the top echelons. They did give a good game to Tuam in the semis this year though.

I don't think Salthill even won a minor title in the 00s. Their sustained underage success is very much a recent thing. Claregalway don't have a lot of tradition because they had about half the population they do now, only a few years ago! Themselves and Oranmore were actually small clubs only 20ish years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

Times are changing though. The last two seasons has seen 5 teams relegated in the Galway football championship. Each one of them is a small rural club outside of the Galway commuter belt. The 3 that replaced them are all west clubs all within a half hour drive of the City.

Underage has never seen such sustained success by clubs that are basically suburbs of Galway City. Moycullen, Salthill and Claregalway are essentially winning everything at underage now. Oranmore look to be coming also - in both codes

Them clubs are fielding about 4 teams at under 12 and 14 level. That never ever happened before until recently.

There's no money in farming anymore, young lads aren't going into trades - there's very little work outside the cities for young couples, so hence why population levels are rising and rising more than ever in the City and its suburbs, and dwindling heavily in rural areas

More and more clubs are amalgamating as a result

I don't think Salthill even won a minor title in the 00s. Their sustained underage success is very much a recent thing. Claregalway don't have a lot of tradition because they had about half the population they do now, only a few years ago! Themselves and Oranmore were actually small clubs only 20ish years ago

While true, lack of affordable housing in cities, better road (motorway in particular) access, better lifestyle means that more and more couples are now choosing to live in more rural areas, even beyond traditional satellite villages such as Oranmore, Claregalway etc. This hopefully will keep the heartbeat of rural clubs going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

While true, lack of affordable housing in cities, better road (motorway in particular) access, better lifestyle means that more and more couples are now choosing to live in more rural areas, even beyond traditional satellite villages such as Oranmore, Claregalway etc. This hopefully will keep the heartbeat of rural clubs going.

Did a quick look at CSO website and it showed that for the most part there is increasing urbanisation all over the country.

There was a 173,613 increase in population between the 2011 and 2016 census and 138,899 was in urban areas, or 80 per cent.

However Galway bucked the nationwide trend - increase in population was 7,405 which was 3,899 rural and 3,506 urban - a 53% rural 47% urban split.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp2tc/cp2pdm/pd/

Hopefully, but i think this is better news for rural hurling clubs than football ones.

The vast majority of hurling clubs are near the motorway (East Galway) or else well within commutable distance of Galway/Ennis/Limerick (south Galway)

Most rural football clubs are way too far out of the way though, either too far west (beyond Oard and MB in Connemara) or too far north (beyond Tuam) to be realistically within comfortable commuting distance

Robert2014 wrote:

Thought Claregalway did alright against Corofin this year in the championship. Well. As well as most teams get on. I was going to say if Claregalway can bring these young lads through to senior they will do ok but when I checked the senior programme from last year it would look like 10 of the team that started against Tuam in Athenry were playing in that U20 match and a few more were subs. Serious amount of lads already playing senior.

I would expect next year to be a decent championship. Corofin obviously still way in front but if Tuam can keep momentum, Mountbellew/Moylough actually play football against Corofin (that talented team is being seriously held back with negative tactics) along with a back to fitness Annaghdown up and coming Moycullen, Salthill and Claregalway it should be competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

Thought Claregalway did alright against Corofin this year in the championship. Well. As well as most teams get on. I was going to say if Claregalway can bring these young lads through to senior they will do ok but when I checked the senior programme from last year it would look like 10 of the team that started against Tuam in Athenry were playing in that U20 match and a few more were subs. Serious amount of lads already playing senior.

I would expect next year to be a decent championship. Corofin obviously still way in front but if Tuam can keep momentum, Mountbellew/Moylough actually play football against Corofin (that talented team is being seriously held back with negative tactics) along with a back to fitness Annaghdown up and coming Moycullen, Salthill and Claregalway it should be competitive.

I can't see Corofin being way in front next year. This team have been going solid for 5yrs with only a couple of additions. Sice can't keep covering the ground he is and he is vital. Will Daithi keep spreading himself thin if he gets a 3 in a row in his arse pocket. You could see a good few lads taking the foot off the pedal I think if they can pull it off. They are a good bit off their best form so far this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Legalfarmer89

I hope this is true. Would be a shame for a lot of proud Clubs to be come little more than footnotes in history.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭mjp

Any word on how Joyce and footballers are getting on. Heard he had 50 players in training for past month and that he was cutting it down to 38 after last weekend. Be interesting see what established players are casualties from his selections. He will be sure to set down a marker early doors with his selections.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Robert2014

Hopefully having the Corofin players available earlier and for the whole league campaign will help integrate them into the panel and team better for him too.

No good having one of the best club teams in the country if their players are not available to you until end of March as in previous years.

You'd have to think Joyce will bring some badly needed feel-good factor anyway. He's making the right noises already and is obviously a Galway legend. Most of the players would have grown up idolising him, so would be very keen to play for him. He strikes me as a good footballing brain too

Yours Sincerely,

A concerned mayo supporter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

You'd have to think Joyce will bring some badly needed feel-good factor anyway. He's making the right noises already and is obviously a Galway legend. Most of the players would have grown up idolising him, so would be very keen to play for him. He strikes me as a good footballing brain too

Yours Sincerely,

at this stage jr86 your a converted Galway man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

Yours Sincerely,

That's what I'd expect, a bit of positivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I've strong reservations about him tactically and his lack of experience in the area. I'm hoping Divilly will be on hand to guard against any potential niavety tactically. Interestingly Jack McCaffrey named Div as one of the best coaches he ever worked with recently.

But Joyce will certainly bring a much needed boost to enthusiasm and feel good factor, both with players who were probably in a stale system and supporters who have been asleep for a decade. How long that lasts will depend on results but it's not a bad situation going into the new year

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

The countdown is on to the 2019 Galway GAA Convention on Monday week, December 16, in the Salthill Hotel.
    Several positions are set to be contested with the main focus on the position of Galway GAA chairman with incumbent Pat Kearney (Kilbeacanty) being challenged by Mick Culhane (Salthill-Knocknacarra).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

http://https://vimeo.com/374465570/9b4fd39de8?fbclid=IwAR1Bb9gu0mCmP3UG3JqjMJshJDMmHF2z6eNLpbnFi-1vWnbuvVseWFfzNfI
    GALWAY GAA LAUNCH THEIR 2020 GAA FOOTBALL SEASON TICKET PLUS

It's a ticket all Galway GAA football fans will certainly want to get their hands on for next season.

The 2020 Season Ticket Plus launched earlier this week gives you the opportunity to attend a huge selection of games as well as access to other big games and removes all the hassle in trying to get tickets throughout the season.

The golden ticket costs just €200 for the year which is significantly lower and exceptionally good value compared to what it would cost you to attend every game throughout the year. To start, you get tickets to all of Galway's Allianz League games including
    the play-offs and finals. "With four big matches at home in division one including games against Mayo and All-Ireland champions Dublin having your season ticket plus will be hugely beneficial with a stand ticket guaranteed for all four", Kevin Clancy, Football Chairperson, Galway Co. Board. Galway also play Monaghan and Tyrone at home with big games away to Kerry, Donegal and Meath.

The season ticket plus also gets you into all Galway club matches in 2020 including the All-Ireland Finals at Croke Park in January. As well as all that you get a ticket to the Connacht semi-final should Galway see off New York in early May and access to buy a stand ticket for all of Galway's other championship games. You'll also have access to buying a ticket for the All-Ireland Senior Football Final if Galway qualify. "Its incredible value for an entire season of football. I hope every Galway GAA fan will join us on our journey", Padraic Joyce, Galway Senior Football Manager.

"I love the idea of the season ticket plus as it removes all the worry and all that hassle in people trying to get tickets for matches every year. It's the perfect Christmas gift for all Galway GAA fans", Paul Conroy, Galway Senior Footballer.

As well as all that there's an incredible prize to be won. When you purchase a season ticket plus you will automatically be entered into a draw for a truly amazing prize. It's a matchday experience like none other for two adults and two children. This wonderful prize includes attending a private training session with the team in advance of a game. You'll also get the opportunity to enjoy breakfast with the team on the day of the match, travel on the team bus and get 4 VIP tickets for the match itself. The prize also includes a visit to the Galway dressing-room after the match and a jersey signed by the senior football team.

The Galway GAA Football Season Ticket Plus is now on sale at https://seasonticket.gaa.ie

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    The countdown is on to the 2019 Galway GAA Convention on Monday week, December 16, in the Salthill Hotel.
    Several positions are set to be contested with the main focus on the position of Galway GAA chairman with incumbent Pat Kearney (Kilbeacanty) being challenged by Mick Culhane (Salthill-Knocknacarra).

Source Connacht Tribune

FUNDRAISING supremo Mick Culhane has launched a determined bid to oust beleaguered County GAA Chairman Pat Kearney by furnishing clubs with his vision for Galway GAA in a glossy brochure ahead of the annual convention.

Culhane, who is best known for the work he has done with the Football Supporters Club, has been actively involved in Galway GAA for the past 30 years, having worked closely with former All-Ireland winning manager John O’Mahony, ex-Galway hurling boss Conor Hayes, and, more recently, as a selector with Galway’s minors (2011) and U20s (2019).

With it emerging in recent weeks that Culhane had put his name forward to challenge Kearney at THE Galway County GAA Convention in the Salthill Hotel on Monday, December 16, the Manging Director of Murray & Spelman Ltd upped the ante late last week by producing a comprehensive manifesto for Galway GAA.

Among his key objectives is to maximise revenue. He notes with Galway GAA having an income in excess of €4 million, “it needs to be run like a business”. Culhane continues: “To be competitive at the top level we must learn from the best. The successful counties have brought a professionalism to their organising committees which I intend to bring to Galway.”

There is no doubt that outgoing Chairman Pat Kearney has held the positionin one of the most turbulent periods in Galway GAA. While the controversy over financial irregularities arose before he took up office, the manner in which the controversy has rumbled on during his tenure could be damaging to his re-election bid.

The damning findings of the Mazars Report — in which numerous deficiencies in Galway GAA’s finances were catalogued — along with a statement from primary sponsor Supermac’s asking where the money their company has raised has gone, piled further pressure on the Chairman

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

All eyes are going to be on the state of the boards finances.

What I've been told is that people shouldn't expect a huge reduction in the overall debt but that a lot of effort has been put into paying off smaller bills and consolidating things so that there should be a clear picture presented of where things stand right now and when the debt should be cleared. Hopefully that's right.

The Tribune mentioned something about Culhane wanting a center of excellence for the hurlers. Not sure if that's a vote winner.

Kearney will get good support from hurling club delegates. Won't be much in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭mjp

Would say there are large similarities between the Galway has and FAI situation. The dogs on the street know that the top level board were creaming it in but could do nothing about it. Hopefully the time has come for Galway has to have a new voice at the top table and get rid of some of these people who have landed us in this mess.

Frozen Veg wrote:
    Kearney will get good support from hurling club delegates. Won't be much in it.

Ya he'll get some. Hurling clubs will fear a football man coming in. However MD was well liked in hurling circles. And Kearney caused a lot of hassle for MD. I've a feeling that's what will swing the balance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

mjp wrote: »
    Would say there are large similarities between the Galway has and FAI situation. The dogs on the street know that the top level board were creaming it in but could do nothing about it. Hopefully the time has come for Galway has to have a new voice at the top table and get rid of some of these people who have landed us in this mess.

The dogs on the street? It is an established matter of fact that this is a legacy issue predating 2017 and that the current chairman brought it to the attention of Croke Park. The current Treasurer is the one that exposed this mess. Do you have any idea what you are talking about?

Advertisement