Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

MfMan wrote: »
    I'm no defender or apologist for Kearney, but he may have been carrying the can unfairly for previous administrations' financial misdemeanours. He only has another year left. His opponent, on the other hand, be very careful what you wish for.

I agree that Kearney should not be tarred with the same brush in relation to the financial s***e that happen previously. The county board spearheaded by Mike Burke (I thought he spoke very well last night) and overseen by Croke Park have righted a lot of wrongs and given a platform for Galway going forward.

But. The issue with the last management team, the current sponsor and Kearney still remain. Maybe he was going to go anyway but MD said that he was impossible to work with, Larkin and Forde said they would not be considered for the position unless he stepped down. This all relates to constant refusal of requests throughout the year. His motto was if you want more for the team fundraise the money yourself. MD made it clear he was not doing that again in 2020. He was told he would have to do without then so he considered his position and ultimately left.

I struggle to understand the relationship with the board and Pat McDonagh (Supermacs). Like him or loathe him, feel he is giving too much or not enough he is engrained in Galway GAA. The fact he needed to go public for whatever reason to get answers over how his sponsorship was been used I find curious. I feel a better relationship between the board (which Kearney is head of) and the main sponsor could avoided all this so you'd have to wonder what sort of relationship they have at all.

The accounts show a massive drop in fundraising incoming for 2019. This is probably due to the discontent with the finance scandal in relation to Galway GAA. Whether it was grandstanding or not Culhane said one of his main focuses would be matching the fundraising levels of the top intercounty teams. The newly elected board need to be as energised for this as the man who lost out. Running successful teams without the finance to back it is near impossible.

Lastly just a question for any people involved in their clubs (especially in East Galway) does you club committee ballot or engage with its members prior to the convention to ask who its member would prefer to see elected?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

I agree that Kearney should not be tarred with the same brush in relation to the financial s***e that happen previously. The county board spearheaded by Mike Burke (I thought he spoke very well last night) and overseen by Croke Park have righted a lot of wrongs and given a platform for Galway going forward.

But. The issue with the last management team, the current sponsor and Kearney still remain. Maybe he was going to go anyway but MD said that he was impossible to work with, Larkin and Forde said they would not be considered for the position unless he stepped down. This all relates to constant refusal of requests throughout the year. His motto was if you want more for the team fundraise the money yourself. MD made it clear he was not doing that again in 2020. He was told he would have to do without then so he considered his position and ultimately left.

I struggle to understand the relationship with the board and Pat McDonagh (Supermacs). Like him or loathe him, feel he is giving too much or not enough he is engrained in Galway GAA. The fact he needed to go public for whatever reason to get answers over how his sponsorship was been used I find curious. I feel a better relationship between the board (which Kearney is head of) and the main sponsor could avoided all this so you'd have to wonder what sort of relationship they have at all.

The accounts show a massive drop in fundraising incoming for 2019. This is probably due to the discontent with the finance scandal in relation to Galway GAA. Whether it was grandstanding or not Culhane said one of his main focuses would be matching the fundraising levels of the top intercounty teams. The newly elected board need to be as energised for this as the man who lost out. Running successful teams without the finance to back it is near impossible.

Lastly just a question for any people involved in their clubs (especially in East Galway) does you club committee ballot or engage with its members prior to the convention to ask who its member would prefer to see elected?

I heard from a few people (could be complete BS as most of these rumours are) that the Comer brothers wanted to become the main sponsor of Galway GAA, that off course would mean ousting Pat Mc. Could this be the reason things got so tetchy a few months back. Came not long after the mountain south deal was finalised too didn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭Robson99

Lads Supermac calls the shots in Galway Gaa not the county board.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭castor 1

The ‘rot’ seems to very deep in Galway.
    It’s not looking good for the future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

castor 1 wrote: »
    The ‘rot’ seems to very deep in Galway.
    It’s not looking good for the future

Agree, who the hell is going to give a penny to club or county anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Dunno how lads kept it together when Burke said our finances will be the envy of the country.

Dunno how lads kept it together when Burke said our finances will be the envy of the country.

That was grandstanding of the highest order!

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Even JP McManus and his billions would balk at the credit card shenanigans of Galway GAA...

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Is there a PDF of the annual report anywhere or is it only available to delegates?

Reading the reports in the Tribune and the Herald the biggest positive by far is the increased revenue from club games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

grbear wrote: »
    Is there a PDF of the annual report anywhere or is it only available to delegates?

Reading the reports in the Tribune and the Herald the biggest positive by far is the increased revenue from club games.

You have a long evening ahead!
    http://www.galwaygaa.ie/images/Downloads/2019/Final_GAA_Annual_Convention_ReportDec_16_2019.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭mjp

Any word on how challenge match between Galway and Corofin went in loughgeorge tonight? Heard it publicised on Galway bay all day so probably got a good few neutrals in for a nose. Be interested see what lads Joyce is trying out and who's impressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Well done the Athenry boys.........great win!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Peter Cooke confirmed as being unavailable for the footballers in 2020. Heading to the States.

That's a notable loss. Hasn't quite nailed down a starting place yet but I'm sure they hoped he finally would this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Peter Cooke confirmed as being unavailable for the footballers in 2020. Heading to the States.

That's a notable loss. Hasn't quite nailed down a starting place yet but I'm sure they hoped he finally would this year.

Big loss, had a great game vs Mayo

Hard to see Moycullen truly challenging in his absence also

Big loss, especially with the arrival of the advanced mark. Would be a great option edge of the square.

Unfortunately the year is looking like a write off in both codes given our financial situation

Ciaran Duggan has had a recurrance of the knee injury that kept him out for most of last year apparently.

Two options down already in the middle of the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

Ciaran Duggan has had a recurrance of the knee injury that kept him out for most of last year apparently.

Two options down already in the middle of the park.

2 good options too, Cooke was one of the few players who really stood up against Mayo last year in the qualifiers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Cooke has loads of potential and it's a pity but no-one can blame amateur players from taking these sort of opportunities while they're going.
    Hopefully we'll see him back next year.

And hopefully players like Cillian McDaid and Kieran Molloy can step up and become established players this year. We have a fairly talented squad of players if they're allowed to play football, and not strangled by negative tactics.

The challenge for Joyce now is to find a balance so that we can continue to be difficult to beat but without turning every game into a penance for all watching. Personally I'd rather we never win an All-Ireland again than continue playing the sort of poison we've witnessed over the last couple of years.

Friendly in Kinvara against Cork is not going head for anyone that has cabin fever like myself and was heading that direction.

Possibly moved to Ennis. I've passed this info on but I'm unsure if it is correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

I heard a small bit of griping over the Christmas about the standard of club football in Galway but when you see Corofin playing like this against the Munster champions it paints things in a different light. They're just exceptional. In any other era the likes of Mountbellew, Annaghdown and Tuam could have all won an All-Ireland. They just have the bad luck to be stuck in a room with an 800lb gorilla wearing a yellow and green jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭mjp

grbear wrote:
    I heard a small bit of griping over the Christmas about the standard of club football in Galway but when you see Corofin playing like this against the Munster champions it paints things in a different light. They're just exceptional. In any other era the likes of Mountbellew, Annaghdown and Tuam could have all won an All-Ireland. They just have the bad luck to be stuck in a room with an 800lb gorilla wearing a yellow and green jersey.

Serious outfit and will go down as greatest club team of all time as always produce the goods on the big day. Think would be stretching it to think that any of the other clubs could win an all Ireland in another era.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Great win by corofin - the early goal set them up well for the entire game. Corofin have a bit of work to do before the final (some of their shooting wasn't great tbh) but they'll still be favourites going into the final.

Well done to corofin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

grbear wrote: »

As in you heard a bit in a negative light? The depth of Galway football is off the charts at the moment. We might be missing 4 or 5 real difference makers at intercounty level but there is footballer after footballer in the county that would be very comfortable playing for any D3 or D4 team. Tuam and MM would give an AI a decent shot if they got out

Corofin left about 2-6 on the table there and still won at ease. In second gear throughout. Wouldn't mind seeing them beat but love watching them at the same time

Thought Corofin were actually sloppy enough today but still won the game pulling up.

You do have to give credit to some of the clubs in Galway who give them tougher games than anyone else to be honest. 3 years in a row they arguably should have been beaten by 3 different Galway clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,326 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    As in you heard a bit in a negative light? The depth of Galway football is off the charts at the moment. We might be missing 4 or 5 real difference makers at intercounty level but there is footballer after footballer in the county that would be very comfortable playing for any D3 or D4 team. Tuam and MM would give an AI a decent shot if they got out

Corofin left about 2-6 on the table there and still won at ease. In second gear throughout. Wouldn't mind seeing them beat but love watching them at the same time

Its not too much of a stretch to say that in terms of cohesion and composure, they are second only to Dublin among ALL teams club and county level.

Remarkable consistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Hulk Hands wrote: »

Tuam. The team that were in a relegation battle in 2018. Stop.

Its not too much of a stretch to say that in terms of cohesion and composure, they are second only to Dublin among ALL teams club and county level.

Remarkable consistency.

I'd argue that if they win the 3 in a row it's a far greater achievement than Dublins 5. Dublin have literally no competition outside 2 teams one of which they avoid every year. Corofin have stern competition within the county then have to beat the pick of the country when they get out. Far far more chances to get caught out yet they never do. Winning a club all Ireland is several levels more difficult than winning county. To win 3 would be mind blowing. Lots of counties have won 3 in a row. None have won 3 in club.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    Tuam. The team that were in a relegation battle in 2018. Stop.

Tuam would've been about 11/8 to beat Ballintubber if they weren't pipped by Corofin. And the all Ireland series is complete dross this year, neither Tuam nor Tubber would've been big underdogs versus Nemo. Absolutely nothing outlandish about them having a chance had they won Galway. Obviously the manager change made a huge difference, sad as that is given who was involved

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Congrats Corofin what a team. Best Ive ever seen at club level anyway

Advertisement