Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Lavelle still plays outfield even when he’s wearing the county number 1. Manys the heart attack he nearly caused.

Too true although I'm not that big a critic of a goalie coming out as long as he's capable. Was a fan of Lavelle. Pity he's not involved but last season was a joke with him and Power and the carry on of management. Did neither goalie any good. Hopefully this year will be a lot more settled in the number one spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

It's tough on goalkeepers these days with kick out strategy etc. Far too much emphasis being placed on the short kick outs, it can't be your main strategy as it's so easy to put the defence under pressure, I think it should be an option if it's on. same goes for hurling.

Lavelle is a good shot stopper but he was crap with the short kick outs.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Stewball

testtech05 wrote: »
    Lavelle, Declan Kyne and David Wynne gone from the panel according to the Galway footballers Instagram page.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7F-BHTJdvb/?igshid=623qypui05c1

I know Kyne has his weaknesses but I thought he was worthy of a place on the panel. Out in some good showing over the last couple of years.

I heard over the christmas, Kyne was leaving the panel for family reasons. I was hoping it was just a rumour.

He was one of only a couple, who showed any sort of fight in the Mayo game down in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭bigdaddymac

Any new faces on the panel for the hurling?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭blowitupref

GS11 wrote: »
    It's tough on goalkeepers these days with kick out strategy etc. Far too much emphasis being placed on the short kick outs, it can't be your main strategy as it's so easy to put the defence under pressure, I think it should be an option if it's on. same goes for hurling.

True and very few keepers are as fast and accurate as Cluxton on their "re-starts"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

I says wrote: »
    I just got a glimpse of the borrisoleigh boys celebrating after there win the other night
    Allegedly of course

It's fake, not even Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Lavelle, Declan Kyne and David Wynne gone from the panel according to the Galway footballers Instagram page.

I know Kyne has his weaknesses but I thought he was worthy of a place on the panel. Out in some good showing over the last couple of years.

Heard a good while ago that those three were gone. Kyne was actually one of Galway's better players against Mayo last year when most of them were awful. Worth a place in the squad anyway I would have thought but maybe it was his own decision?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

Ridiculous if kyne is gone. One of the best performers in the backs the last few years and we're not exactly Laden with talent back there. How you could afford to have him on the panel at least is beyond me. Brought that bit of physicality we lack too.

GS11 wrote: »

Terrible kick outs and can't solo to save his life. Have no idea how he plays outfield for his club. Looked like a lad playing football for the first time any time he brought the ball outside the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

As much and all as we like to hate the neighbors in mayo I’m delighted to hear that Tom parsons is named as starting for mayo.congrats to him on making it back from such a nasty injury.hes one of the greats of the game and I wish him the best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

threeball wrote: »
    Terrible kick outs and can't solo to save his life. Have no idea how he plays outfield for his club. Looked like a lad playing football for the first time any time he brought the ball outside the box.

He played outfield for Renvyle who would struggle hugely with numbers though so it would be a necessity

I can't recall him ever playing outfield for Salthill?

I can't see Kyne being simply dropped this early in a new tenure. He's been a regular for a few years now. Leaving of his own accord makes more sense I reckon. Fair play to him he made a decent career for himself for a lad who never got near a county underage team.

Moycullen and Killannin had about 9 or 10 combined in the panel at one stage, probably 3 max this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

threeball wrote: »
    Ridiculous if kyne is gone. One of the best performers in the backs the last few years and we're not exactly Laden with talent back there. How you could afford to have him on the panel at least is beyond me. Brought that bit of physicality we lack too.

In fairness we don't know what's going on in training and a poster previous to yourself mentioned they had heard he was leaving for personal reasons. No point giving out about who is or isn't there when we haven't played a competitive match yet at all. And who's to say the panel is a closed one. Lads may well get called in again down the line.

And ya it's great to see Parsons back. A horrible injury. He'll be a big addition for them, no more than Conroy for us.

macslash wrote: »
    In fairness we don't know what's going on in training and a poster previous to yourself mentioned they had heard he was leaving for personal reasons. No point giving out about who is or isn't there when we haven't played a competitive match yet at all. And who's to say the panel is a closed one. Lads may well get called in again down the line.

And ya it's great to see Parsons back. A horrible injury. He'll be a big addition for them, no more than Conroy for us.

Sentiment aside I'd be surprised if Parsons wasn't a bit part player at best this year

Aidan O'Shea seems to play his best stuff in midfield and he ain't gonna be dropped. Ruane was arguably the player of the year for Mayo in 2019

It's a real crossroads year for Mayo overall I think, whereas I think Galway could have an exciting year ahead. A new popular manager, all the Corofin lads available for league and some young lads being introduced off successful underage sides.

A fit Conroy will be a massive boost

Someone in work told me two weeks ago that Kyne was gone as his girlfriend had either had a baby or was going to.
    He said he was talking to him at some sort of an event out that side of Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

Someone in work told me two weeks ago that Kyne was gone as his girlfriend had either had a baby or was going to.
    He said he was talking to him at some sort of an event out that side of Galway.

Was about to post and say a friend at work was saying today the same thing. He now's the family and I think he said Declans 1st child is due soon.
    If that's the case could well be his own decision to step aside and fair enough if so.
    He will be a loss though

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

jr86 wrote: »
    He played outfield for Renvyle who would struggle hugely with numbers though so it would be a necessity

I can't recall him ever playing outfield for Salthill?

I can't see Kyne being simply dropped this early in a new tenure. He's been a regular for a few years now. Leaving of his own accord makes more sense I reckon. Fair play to him he made a decent career for himself for a lad who never got near a county underage team.

Moycullen and Killannin had about 9 or 10 combined in the panel at one stage, probably 3 max this year?

From what I've heard, Declan Kyne left of his own accord, family reasons apparently. We can't all be wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Worthwent14

Think lavelle will be a huge loss. Has best kickouts in galway and was a solid performer apart from blatant mistake v mayo few years ago. Has hit huge pressure frees for salthill also. Can kick with both feet and never made a blatant goalkeeping error. Soloing for either lavelle or power not great then it's always heart in mouth, look at Manus last year winning county title for spiddal and then poor error in all ireland series. Bound to happen to a keeper at some stage as very high risk. O Malley from lettermor a decent keeper on the ball and worth a league game at least. Power has made a few blatant errors both for galway and corofin (mayo, dr crokes, tipp) and kicking can be very erratic. No keeper is perfect and kickouts will go wrong as outfield players have to buy into it too and take some blame at times also. But button feel lavelle most consistent since AFatharty. To be fair to both keepers, KevWalsh didnt so their confidence any use last year with the rotating during championship. Lavelle made scapegoat for roscomman defeat when he did little wrong. Power had by far a worse game vs mayo with kickouts going astray and awful error for first goal. Cant be easy for any keeper in there. Gleeson very good shotstoper but then they're all similar level. Likely Power will be number 1 but could see issues there. Kyne very underrated and a loss, tenacious and always up for it. None of the backs would scare any forward and are all similar standard whether it's the starting backs or panelists there is little or no difference and no standout back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭spurshero

It’s a funny one . Kyne has probably come in for more stick on here and now he leaves or gets pushed off panel he’s suddenly irreplaceable . By the way i was at Mayo match in limerick and he done very well when he came on. Is Bradshaw gone off panel ??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Very interested to see Gleeson. Obviously a good shot stopper if playing LOI but also comfortable enough at this game to play midfield for Dunmore. May not work but a bit of outside the box thinking is encouraging.

Always thought Lavelle got a raw deal from fans simply because he looked a bit nervous on the ball. Galway fans are worse than anyone in those situations, screaming 'get back in goal', as if it's not normal in the modern game and a defender can't easily cover the goalmouth. He had a good year in 18 where kickouts improved immensely. Very impressed to see him start throwing short ones out with his bad foot. Poor game versus Ros last year probably cost him. Above poster is right that he's never made the mistakes Power has, nervous or not.

Kyne will be sorely missed, especially with the mark coming in and probably the need for more physically imposing corner backs. Would be easy for a junior player to be lost to the game now, so hope he sticks at it and we see him back again.

spurshero wrote: »
    It’s a funny one . Kyne has probably come in for more stick on here and now he leaves or gets pushed off panel he’s suddenly irreplaceable . By the way i was at Mayo match in limerick and he done very well when he came on. Is Bradshaw gone off panel ??

I always thought he was very good, he'd have been probably in the top 2 defenders in my book and in my opinion played in a position not best suited to him. Hes a centre back all day in my book.
    Real loss either way. Biggest one bar Cooke and Duggan so far.

• Advertisement

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Very interested to see Gleeson. Obviously a good shot stopper if playing LOI but also comfortable enough at this game to play midfield for Dunmore. May not work but a bit of outside the box thinking is encouraging.

Always thought Lavelle got a raw deal from fans simply because he looked a bit nervous on the ball. Galway fans are worse than anyone in those situations, screaming 'get back in goal', as if it's not normal in the modern game and a defender can't easily cover the goalmouth. He had a good year in 18 where kickouts improved immensely. Very impressed to see him start throwing short ones out with his bad foot. Poor game versus Ros last year probably cost him. Above poster is right that he's never made the mistakes Power has, nervous or not.

Kyne will be sorely missed, especially with the mark coming in and probably the need for more physically imposing corner backs. Would be easy for a junior player to be lost to the game now, so hope he sticks at it and we see him back again.

Would echo the sentiments in relation to Lavelle. The league campaign in 17' to get promoted and 18' to get to a league final he played a big part in. Was outstanding in both. But then Power returned for Championship and everything went to s**t both years. Came to a head last year when neither goalie was comfortable and probably felt every mistake either made meant they would be dropped. Management created that situation on their own bat and should take full responsibility for it.

No matter who PJ decides on being number one they need to be given time and assurance about being number one goalie. No player should be undroppable but goalie is a funny position and I think a goalie needs to know barring continuous errors they will remain number one.

Galway (Walsh Cup SF v Dublin): Eanna Murphy; Jack Grealish, Ronan Burke, Declan Cronin; TJ Brennan, Gearoid McInerney Johnny Coen; Aidan Harte, Sean Linnane; Diarmuid Kilcommins, Cathal Mannion, Thomas Monaghan; Tadgh Haran, Sean Bleahane, David Glennon

Subs: Darach Fahy, Conor Walsh, Ronan O’Meara, Paul Killeen, Mark Horan, Jamie Holland, Jack Coyne, Paddy Rabbitte

• Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Very experimental team named by O'Neill. Good to see young Murphy in goal - thought he should have been brought into the panel last year tbh.

Can see Harte and coen swapping positions.

Galway (Walsh Cup SF v Dublin): Eanna Murphy; Jack Grealish, Ronan Burke, Declan Cronin; TJ Brennan, Gearoid McInerney Johnny Coen; Aidan Harte, Sean Linnane; Diarmuid Kilcommins, Cathal Mannion, Thomas Monaghan; Tadgh Haran, Sean Bleahane, David Glennon

Subs: Darach Fahy, Conor Walsh, Ronan O’Meara, Paul Killeen, Mark Horan, Jamie Holland, Jack Coyne, Paddy Rabbitte

Murphy in goals good to see, Cronin no harm, Haran probably played well enough to deserve a chance. Brennan has been impressive for Bridge (although Ian O Brien has probably been hurling better in the games I saw last season)

Glennon and Ronan Burke....

Monaghan needs to rediscover some form and Bleahane will hopefully of improved his work rate from last season.

Would have liked to see Jack Fitzpatrick at 3 although I'm guessing he's playing for NUIG on Sunday.

Glennon is Glennon. I think we all know what he can do and can't do at this stage. Probably time to move on from him but you almost have to admire how long he's hung around the fringes of the squad. Would be more exciting to see someone like Evan Niland given an opportunity but he's probably hurling with the college as well this weekend.

Murphy in goals good to see, Cronin no harm, Haran probably played well enough to deserve a chance. Brennan has been impressive for Bridge (although Ian O Brien has probably been hurling better in the games I saw last season)

Monaghan needs to rediscover some form and Bleahane will hopefully of improved his work rate from last season.

Monaghan had a brilliant club campaign last year

Bleahene didn't, but he tore it up in that challenge v Clare

In fairness O'Neill was never going to drop anyone off the bat from last year's panel. If Glennon and Burke are impressing him in training what can he do?

Mighty win for Oughterard over Templenoe of Kerry. Into the Intermediate AI final.

Fair play to oughterard.they stuck it out well and a day out for them to come.

Famous result for Oard

Were 4/1 outsiders with bookies. I thought Kerry teams were only meant to turn up in this event

A super young side that plays a great attacking brand of football, they'll take senior in Galway by storm.

• Advertisement

The best of luck to joycey and the footballers in castlebar today and well wishes to Tom parsons on his comeback.

Up the tribes

Advertisement