Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Quite embarrassing for Kiltormer really, relying on the County Board to save them.

They would have been better off going to Junior and winning it over the next couple of years and that would give them some momentum again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

From a club competition point of view this shouldn't happen.

But I suppose if this decision is made on the basis of providing a strong county team I see the benefit.

Need to keep hurling strong areas playing at a decent level, better for the game in the long run.

It makes a complete farce of the entire competition though and if your assertion that it was done in some misguided attempt to providing a stronger county team then it is even more bizzare and another example of club players i.e 99% being screwed over for the benefit of intercounty.

Plenty of top players throughout the country were/are from junior clubs and surely having an intercounty player playing in a competitive/successfull Junior team is far more beneficial thatn playing on a struggling team who know that they will get special treatment if needs be. Some people talk about junior hurling as if its a different sport

If Kiltormer had any self respect they would have went back junior and got their sh*t together

Pogue eile wrote: »
    It makes a complete farce of the entire competition though and if your assertion that it was done in some misguided attempt to providing a stronger county team then it is even more bizzare and another example of club players i.e 99% being screwed over for the benefit of intercounty.

Plenty of top players throughout the country were/are from junior clubs and surely having an intercounty player playing in a competitive/successfull Junior team is far more beneficial thatn playing on a struggling team who know that they will get special treatment if needs be. Some people talk about junior hurling as if its a different sport

If Kiltormer had any self respect they would have went back junior and got their sh*t together

It has nothing to do with the county team. Kiltormer haven't a player within an asses roar of the County team. Back in the day yes but not now.

They have merged with Mullagh at under age.

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    It has nothing to do with the county team. Kiltormer haven't a player within an asses roar of the County team. Back in the day yes but not now.

They have merged with Mullagh at under age.

Was simply replying to gilberto's post that suggested it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Three groups of five so this year i'd imagine.
    two groups would mean too many games to be completed especially when you factor in dual clubs like annaghdown and an spidéal.

• Advertisement

threeball wrote: »
    Is Comer injured again or just not coming back til the league? Where's O'Laoi this year.

O Laoi is recovering from injury.

the hurling board set a precedent a few years back when they didn't relegate annaghdown to junior. annaghdown pleaded to be left intermediate and were given permission to do, so there lies the problem!!!

The way the hurling board is dealing with intermediate in recent years gives me the impression that they don't really give a fcuk about it really. They have their senior A(senior) and senior B(glorified intermediate) and intermediate(glorified junior) is not really a priority to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

fearruanua wrote:
    the hurling board set a precedent a few years back when they didn't relegate annaghdown to junior. annaghdown pleaded to be left intermediate and were given permission to do, so there lies the problem!!!

fearruanua wrote:
    The way the hurling board is dealing with intermediate in recent years gives me the impression that they don't really give a fcuk about it really. They have their senior A(senior) and senior B(glorified intermediate) and intermediate(glorified junior) is not really a priority to them.

What actual harm has been caused? If the team that was junior A was not promoted and they took there place I would understand the anger. But the team that got promoted got promoted and another team gets to ply their trade at the same level. It's more win win. Obviously it couldn't continue as it would get farcical but I don't think it's that big a deal. Every team starting out next year will be out to win it like every team starts out. I doubt any team will start out with the attitude "ah sure at least we can't be relegated"

Just my two cents. I could be off the mark with the general feeling around the county.

What actual harm has been caused? If the team that was junior A was not promoted and they took there place I would understand the anger. But the team that got promoted got promoted and another team gets to ply their trade at the same level. It's more win win. Obviously it couldn't continue as it would get farcical but I don't think it's that big a deal. Every team starting out next year will be out to win it like every team starts out. I doubt any team will start out with the attitude "ah sure at least we can't be relegated"

Just my two cents. I could be off the mark with the general feeling around the county.

but as you said, "it will get farcical if it continues". honestly i think its farcical already. where will it stop?? Abbeyknockmoy should have asked to stay senior

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

So should next year's bottom team get a pass and if not, why not? They would have no less reason than kiltormer or kilbeacanty. Or the year after that ?

You say no harm done but it harms the value of the competition by devaluing it. Why should a team bother their arse once they lose two games as they can't get promoted and can't get relegated either. Totally skews results thereafter also and as I already said if it was some other teams not from the traditional heartlands they would have been fcuked down to junior. You can't make up the rules after the fact to suit you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

So should next year's bottom team get a pass and if not, why not? They would have no less reason than kiltormer or kilbeacanty. Or the year after that ?

You say no harm done but it harms the value of the competition by devaluing it. Why should a team bother their arse once they lose two games as they can't get promoted and can't get relegated either. Totally skews results thereafter also and as I already said if it was some other teams not from the traditional heartlands they would have been fcuked down to junior. You can't make up the rules after the fact to suit you.

Yeah if this was Sylane, Annaghdown or Castlegar's B team no hope they'd be allowed stay up

Its a complete joke but sure the joke will ultimately be on Kiltormer - let them struggle away up in intermediate, while they could be down rebuilding in Junior, with a very realistic chance of winning more county and even All Ireland honours

Fair enough. I played intermediate football for quite a few years. Only "value" in the competition was getting promoted to senior. Now two teams have that chance where previously one hadn't. May not be realistic. But it's where they are. Might be felt that putting them down to junior would mean a loss of interest in hurling in a rural club/area. Competitions are restructured all the time so I still fail to see who has been hurt by this. The integrity of the competition one could argue but I'm sure whoever wins it in 2020 won't feel that way.

Fair enough. I played intermediate football for quite a few years. Only "value" in the competition was getting promoted to senior. Now two teams have that chance where previously one hadn't. May not be realistic. But it's where they are. Might be felt that putting them down to junior would mean a loss of interest in hurling in a rural club/area. Competitions are restructured all the time so I still fail to see who has been hurt by this. The integrity of the competition one could argue but I'm sure whoever wins it in 2020 won't feel that way.

Sure lets scrap junior hurling altogether and be done with it

Sure lets scrap junior hurling altogether and be done with it

Hardly what I said.

Competitions are governed by the regulations and rules for that competition.

The rules should be set in stone at the start of the year setting out the number of teams that should be promoted and relegated.

The rules and regulations should be followed. This protects the integrity of competitions of all grades.

The decision should not come down to a committee or group of people at the end of the year. This is open to abuse and corruption.

It is not up to a committee to determine if TEAM As relegation would be good or bad for the parish. The rules are clear at the start of the year and should be followed.

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    Competitions are governed by the regulations and rules for that competition.

The rules should be set in stone at the start of the year setting out the number of teams that should be promoted and relegated.

The rules and regulations should be followed. This protects the integrity of competitions of all grades.

The decision should not come down to a committee or group of people at the end of the year. This is open to abuse and corruption.

It is not up to a committee to determine if TEAM As relegation would be good or bad for the parish. The rules are clear at the start of the year and should be followed.

Agree with all of above. But like the national hurling leagues this year with a stroke of a pen relegation/promotion in 2019 was made irrelevant when they decided to restructure the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

What I'd like to know is whether Salthill were consulted on this and asked if they would like to go up. A real chance to grow hurling further in a population centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Robert2014

Good luck to Corofin for Sunday and the 3 in a row. Fantastic achievement to be back in the final constantly on the go for 3 years!

Robert2014 wrote: »
    Good luck to Corofin for Sunday and the 3 in a row. Fantastic achievement to be back in the final constantly on the go for 3 years!

It's very interesting that arguably the greatest club football and hurling teams of all time are both in Croke park this weekend.

It's very interesting that arguably the greatest club football and hurling teams of all time are both in Croke park this weekend.

Careful now - and in a Galway forum too :pac:

• Advertisement

jr86 wrote: »
    Careful now - and in a Galway forum too :pac:

'Arguably' :D

Portumna and Birr have the titles in the bag but for me this Ballyhale team is the best club team I have seen to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

'Arguably' :D

Portumna and Birr have the titles in the bag but for me this Ballyhale team is the best club team I have seen to be honest.

Dear God no! Portumna, inspired by JC, the second best Canning on the field the same day, made smithereens of a superior Ballyhale team in the Thurles semi-final in 2009.

MfMan wrote: »
    Dear God no! Portumna, inspired by JC, the second best Canning on the field the same day, made smithereens of a superior Ballyhale team in the Thurles semi-final in 2009.

And Ballyhale came back and beat them the year after :D two great teams to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭basillarkin

ballyhale for me aswell

Nothing will beat that Portumna side for me. From 07-09 in particular they were absolutely magical to watch. have talked to plenty of still active club players who played against them back then and said there's no club team in the county today who can come close to touching them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭cosatron

jr86 wrote: »
    Nothing will beat that Portumna side for me. From 07-09 in particular they were absolutely magical to watch. have talked to plenty of still active club players who played against them back then and said there's no club team in the county today who can come close to touching them

Athenry for me. Great team

Padraic Mannion captain for the Hurlers with Conor Whelan vice captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Galway team v Wexford

Fahy
    TJ Brennan
    Killeen
    Hussey
    Mannion
    Gmac
    Tuohy
    Linnane
    Loftus
    C Walsh
    Haran
    Concannon
    Ja Mannion
    Flynn
    Niland

A lot to like from that football display. Still very early but the ideology is going in the right direction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Disappointing last 10 in Portlaoise. Couple of great chances to seal the win spurned by Niall Burke and young Kilcommins but the workrate second half was excellent.

Keeper was fierce ropey. The goal conceded was shocking and caught twice soloing out.

Haran was excellent in addition to Touhey. Monaghan off the bench went very well too.

A good test before League but bar Haran not a lot of lads I could see breaking first 15.

Advertisement