Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,150 ✭✭✭threeball

statesaver wrote: »
    IS the Limerick v Galway game live on TG4 ?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

statesaver wrote: »
    IS the Limerick v Galway game live on TG4 ?

Yes. It's the main game they are showing (i.e. not deferred)

Hurlers making hard work of it. Conceding every puckout and leaving the centre wide open for limerick to play through.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Did anybody find a stream for Monaghan V Tyrone? Somebody told me TG4 were showing it on YouTube but it just says 'Waiting on TG4 Network' when I try to bring it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭I see sheep

This ref is crap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭Robson99

threeball wrote: »
    Hurlers making hard work of it. Conceding every puckout and leaving the centre wide open for limerick to play through.

Shane Cooney a mile off inter county pace

No semblance of a plan in attack or defence.
    We're caught one v one in defence with acres of space and couldnt put a single ball in front of a forward they had a high chance of winning.

We're like a team who does some running and plays a game at training.

The regression from 2017 is startling.

Robson99 wrote: »
    Shane Cooney a mile off inter county pace

Jason Flynn and concannon up to nothing either. Cathal Mannion needs to move to midfield. He's on top every time he goes there. Gets lost at half forward.
    Canning just a different class as always

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Good bit off the pace. Galway had a strong breeze. Difficult to win from this position without a couple of goals.

Half an hour outside the stadium waiting to get in with a season ticket. Same issue with Pearse Stadium last week. Gaa need to buy a few more scanners.

This ref is crap

Possibly, but that doesn't account for the amount of handling errors made by Galway. I didn't realise that Jason Flynn was playing today - I was surprised when I heard his name mentioned after 25 minutes.

Only for canning, we'd be fücked. To many Galway lads standing off their men. I wasn't expecting us to win today,but I was expecting a bit more fight.

• Advertisement

Good bit off the pace. Galway had a strong breeze. Difficult to win from this position without a couple of goals.

Half an hour outside the stadium waiting to get in with a season ticket. Same issue with Pearse Stadium last week. Gaa need to buy a few more scanners.

You're some man for the matches. If you were getting travel expenses you'd be cleaning up. Fair play. You need to set up a match report on social media and monetise it

RMAOK wrote: »
    Possibly, but that doesn't account for the amount of handling errors made by Galway. I didn't realise that Jason Flynn was playing today - I was surprised when I heard his name mentioned after 25 minutes.

Only for canning, we'd be fücked. To many Galway lads standing off their men. I wasn't expecting us to win today,but I was expecting a bit more fight.

Every man and his dog knows how to counteract limerick at this stage by packing the middle third but we don't seem to be arsed with that.
    I thought we'd have greater depth in a county as strong as we are but we can barely field 12 IC standard Hurlers at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Ref is poor.

Hopefully Canning isn't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Sean Linnane is playing well

Mcinerney not a full back

Mcinerney not a full back

Probably not, but a lot of his problems came from the half forwards and midfield not marking tightly enough when limerick had the ball. The amount of time that some limerick players had on the ball to pick out a man was ridiculous tbh.

Barely hit a football score.

The worst performance I had to sit through in a long time.
    Even as bad as the Waterford ones were last year we played for portions of the games.

God knows what they're doing in training but they might as well not bother.

Time to move on from some of these players too, Flynn was being marked by a lad 4 or 5 inches smaller and he was dominated.
    Concannon is there a few years now and still cant establish himself.

We look further away from an AI now than we did at any point over the last 15 years.
    Cant win puckouts, cant hit a man in space, cant close out space in our backs.

This is the first year in a while we look to have more chance in the football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Flynn has to be dropped. Bleahane with a full match yesterday looked more lively.

Barely hit a football score.

The worst performance I had to sit through in a long time.
    Even as bad as the Waterford ones were last year we played for portions of the games.

God knows what they're doing in training but they might as well not bother.

Time to move on from some of these players too, Flynn was being marked by a lad 4 or 5 inches smaller and he was dominated.
    Concannon is there a few years now and still cant establish himself.

We look further away from an AI now than we did at any point over the last 15 years.
    Cant win puckouts, cant hit a man in space, cant close out space in our backs.

This is the first year in a while we look to have more chance in the football.

5 guaranteed starters come championship
    Daithi B
    P Mannion
    C Mannion
    JC
    Conor W
    All the rest up for grabs

5 guaranteed starters come championship
    Daithi B
    P Mannion
    C Mannion
    JC
    Conor W
    All the rest up for grabs

Thought padraig mannion was poor enough today - his man, reidy, played puck.

Can't say the young lads did particularly well - Brennan was ok, without being brilliant. Kilcommins was anonymous while Murphy had his moments. Don't get me wrong - I'm not giving out about them at all, just an honest appraisal. They will learn from this.

The few I'd have more issue with is concannon and Flynn - lads that are there a few years and try were totally AWOL for long stretches of the game.

• Advertisement

Damp squib really. Two weeks till Tipp. That game will give a better idea of where things are.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Very flat from Galway. No real threat to Limerick in that second half. It's hard to decipher what type of game Shane O Neill wants them to play. And not much of a goal threat either. They have alot of work to do. Yeah Flynn has always threatened a big game, never really delivers. Hes flakey. But a large gap has opened between Galway and Tipperary and Limerick, not in ability although Galways fullback line is dire in comparison to Limericks but in application and tactics. But theres alot of time between now and the summer

BloodyBill wrote:
    Very flat from Galway. No real threat to Limerick in that second half. It's hard to decipher what type of game Shane O Neill wants them to play. And not much of a goal threat either. They have alot of work to do. Yeah Flynn has always threatened a big game, never really delivers. Hes flakey. But a large gap has opened between Galway and Tipperary and Limerick, not in ability although Galways fullback line is dire in comparison to Limericks but in application and tactics. But theres alot of time between now and the summer

None of our full back lined started today.

None of our full back lined started today.

Well whomever started in the full back line were representing Galway today. If you are pinning all your hopes on Daithi Burke, then that's clutching abit. I'm not having a go at Galway, I'm just asking wheres the new talent .

Darren Morrissey and Fintan Burke will hopefully join Daithi Burke in the full back line this year. Plenty of other lads fighting for those spots.

BloodyBill wrote:
    Well whomever started in the full back line were representing Galway today. If you are pinning all your hopes on Daithi Burke, then that's clutching abit. I'm not having a go at Galway, I'm just asking wheres the new talent .

And thinking a returning four time all star might improve things slightly I don't think is clutching that much.

And thinking a returning four time all star might improve things slightly I don't think is clutching that much.

Who's coming back to improve the scoring? Poor auld Joe must have a sore back at this stage.

BloodyBill wrote:
    Who's coming back to improve the scoring? Poor auld Joe must have a sore back at this stage.

Thought we were talking about our full back line?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

BloodyBill wrote: »

There is none. The u21 team last year was the poorest in a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

BloodyBill wrote: »

Galway are going to be a work in progress this year most likely which isn't ideal in Joe's last few years. Likely to have two novice corner backs either side of Daithi Burke and a novice keeper as well.

There are positions up for grabs in every line of the field especially if Glynn or Joseph Cooney aren't available.

Going to take time and they may well ship a few defeats doing it.

Advertisement