Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭elefant

Would of cost Galway two subs. We lost a sub taking him off.

It cost us two subs anyway, one to bring on in O Beolain for O Laoi, and one to bring O Laoi back on for Gleeson.

Deserved to be left off after the ten minutes though, his silly tackle killed our first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

elefant wrote:
    It cost us two subs anyway, one to bring on in O Beolain for O Laoi, and one to bring O Laoi back on for Gleeson.

elefant wrote:
    Deserved to be left off after the ten minutes though, his silly tackle killed our first half.

Only cost us one. It's difficult to explain it but they announced on the PA when O Laoi came back on after the black card that O Beolain was now a permanent replacement. Basically O Beolain for Gleeson was a sub and O Laoi was the player forced to take the black card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

elefant wrote: »

In fairness he kept us in it with a good stop earlier in the half. We were very wasteful in the opening 10. Can't see how the penalty 'killed our first half'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,150 ✭✭✭threeball

macslash wrote: »
    In fairness he kept us in it with a good stop earlier in the half. We were very wasteful in the opening 10. Can't see how the penalty 'killed our first half'.

Exactly. O Beolain lucky not to get the line for his sliding tackle on the Donegal lad late in the game. We were unlucky last week but we were very lucky today. Nearly threw away another one after doing all the hard work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Seeing a lot of moaning about the venue on social media, with Mark McHugh even stating they'd have won if it was played in Ballybofey. If you let your opposition come back from 7 down and bottle a straight forward free to level the match you can have no complaints imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Given the age profile and experience of both teams, coupled with the obvious direct style Joyce is trying to play, I think conditions 100% would've suited Donegal moreso. Perhaps inconvenience less is the word. Strange comment from McHugh, about a venue picked by themselves. Obviously their record there is bad but it's on themselves. Two softish pointed marks from Donegal also, they've clearly been one of the cutest teams with the new rules so far

Can kind of see his point tbf but it's league football and there's a duty to some counties to spread it around. The Tuam homegame in Galway brings the biggest crowd of the home league games usually. Some thing matter more than what will amount to a 1% advantage

macslash wrote: »

Giving away a penalty and taking a certain numerical disadvantage for ten minutes playing with a gale force wind was a major blow. It also wasted a sub, although I was corrected above from thinking it wasted 2 of our subs.

We did brilliantly to pull that out of the fire from that position at half time. We were definitely lucky enough not to have a second goalkeeper black carded alright.

Edit: I realise I've probably come across as overly harsh saying he 'deserved' to be kept off, as if as a sort of punishment. He's been great for us so far, so maybe fairer to say I thought it was fair to keep O Beolain on once the mistake was made.

Giving away a penalty and taking a certain numerical disadvantage for ten minutes playing with a gale force wind was a major blow. It also wasted a sub, although I was corrected above from thinking it wasted 2 of our subs.

We did brilliantly to pull that out of the fire from that position at half time. We were definitely lucky enough not to have a second goalkeeper black carded alright.

Edit: I realise I've probably come across as overly harsh saying he 'deserved' to be kept off, as if as a sort of punishment. He's been great for us so far, so maybe fairer to say I thought it was fair to keep O Beolain on once the mistake was made.

That's fair enough.

The black card for Gleeson was a joke.

It makes very little sense for a goalie to cynically foul someone who's in front of them.
    The only occasion a goalie can cynically foul someone would be if the player was about to tap into an empty net and was pulled down from behind.

The player feined at the last second and he lunged at him.

OBeolains challenge was just awful in every sense, it was as bad(technique wise)as Breathnachs against Mayo, he should have came out with his hands and if it was any colour it would have been red.

We were steeped to win that, the first half was really really poor, going in down while playing with the wind.

Walsh had one of those games he used to have regularly up to two years ago where he missed far more than he scored, his free taking is a worry too.

Comer needs to play closer to goal, Comer at his best was winning the free and black card.
    Too many times though he's running into players on the 45 and getting turned over, when hes closer to goal he has less to do and less defensive cover to worry about.
    I wouldnt pick him at 11 again, he established himself as one of the best FFs in Ireland so swapping him with a playmaker makes no sense to either player tbh.

Hopefully they remove the mark as well, the over carrying in the second half was comical.
    The player is supposed to get 5 seconds to call it, Joe blew the whistle and while I'll admit he hesitated to play on the whole thing was farcical on both ends.

It makes very little sense for a goalie to cynically foul someone who's in front of them.
    The only occasion a goalie can cynically foul someone would be if the player was about to tap into an empty net and was pulled down from behind.

The player feined at the last second and he lunged at him.

OBeolains challenge was just awful in every sense, it was as bad(technique wise)as Breathnachs against Mayo, he should have came out with his hands and if it was any colour it would have been red.

We were steeped to win that, the first half was really really poor, going in down while playing with the wind.

Walsh had one of those games he used to have regularly up to two years ago where he missed far more than he scored, his free taking is a worry too.

Comer needs to play closer to goal, Comer at his best was winning the free and black card.
    Too many times though he's running into players on the 45 and getting turned over, when hes closer to goal he has less to do and less defensive cover to worry about.
    I wouldnt pick him at 11 again, he established himself as one of the best FFs in Ireland so swapping him with a playmaker makes no sense to either player tbh.

Hopefully they remove the mark as well, the over carrying in the second half was comical.
    The player is supposed to get 5 seconds to call it, Joe blew the whistle and while I'll admit he hesitated to play on the whole thing was farcical on both ends.

Agree on Comer. Hes not a CF and looking at him yesterday hes just very ineffective. His fist passing is atrocious. He rarely hits a man accurately, its beside, behind or hes stretching and we almost always get turned over after. Tackling is poor too. I think if hes not playing FF hes almost not worth his place on the team. Walsh is coming deep to carry anyway so better to move him to CF. The advanced mark is likely to stay. Why we are not using Comer to pick off 3 or 4 a game is anyones guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Really?? I watched most of the match last night. Fast-forwarded some it it. From what I saw, I thought he was excellent. I'm not from Galway, so didn't give it my full attention. But he got some great scores.
    Would Galway have won if Walsh was not playing yesterday, but instead had someone like Ian Burke for example. I don't think so.

I'm not saying he didnt have a good game, and in a way his ability is so high, it sets a higher standard for him but he missed a lot of chances.
    Having said that he wasnt the only one and the conversion rate in the first half was very poor.

Really?? I watched most of the match last night. Fast-forwarded some it it. From what I saw, I thought he was excellent. I'm not from Galway, so didn't give it my full attention. But he got some great scores.
    Would Galway have won if Walsh was not playing yesterday, but instead had someone like Ian Burke for example. I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Walsh was excellent. Apart from his own scores he created the first Galway goal and put in another great pass to Comer in the first half that Comer blasted over the bar but could easily have been a goal. His free taking can be a hit or miss though. He seems to miss a simple enough one in almost every game.

And to be fair to Comer, Galway would not have won yesterday only for the amount of ball he won out around midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 PJ98

Thats very harsh on Walsh, the wind was shocking and played havoc for both teams. He was outstanding in the second half, he's capable of moments on that pitch that no other player in the country is capable of and were starting to see it consistently.

Galway Senior A hurling championship draw: Group 1: Sarsfields, Clarinbridge, Loughrea, Liam Mellows, St Thomas, Oranmore Maree
    Group 2: Tynagh Abbey Duniry, Turloughmore, Cappataggle, Portumna, Castlegar, Tommie Larkins

Galway Senior B hurling championship draw: Group 1: Gort, Athenry, Ahascragh Fohenagh, Ballinderreen, Padraig Pearses, Killimordaly Group 2: Craughwell, Kilnadeema Leitrim, Beagh, Mullagh, Kinvara, Ardrahan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

Galway Senior A hurling championship draw: Group 1: Sarsfields, Clarinbridge, Loughrea, Liam Mellows, St Thomas, Oranmore Maree
    Group 2: Tynagh Abbey Duniry, Turloughmore, Cappataggle, Portumna, Castlegar, Tommie Larkins

Galway Senior B hurling championship draw: Group 1: Gort, Athenry, Ahascragh Fohenagh, Ballinderreen, Padraig Pearses, Killimordaly Group 2: Craughwell, Kilnadeema Leitrim, Beagh, Mullagh, Kinvara, Ardrahan

1A looks the tougher in top tier.
    Both in second tier look quite even; fancy Athenry to progress from 1, with A/F again in relegation trouble. Tip Craughwell to come out of 2, with Beagh bringing up the rear.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Robert2014

Any news of integrating the Corofin players into the senior team soon?

All back this week. Tyrone in two weeks should see some of them appear on the team/bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

Walsh is absolute class but he's not a natural free taker like Padraic was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

GS11 wrote: »

I notice when he misses a fairly kickable one, a minute or so later he invariably kicks a far more difficult one from out the field, class player though we're lucky to have him

• Advertisement

He tried a few crazily difficult ones the last day in the first half.

Great he's so confident though; the more responsibility he's willing to take on, the better for us. One of the points he scored in the second half with Donegal defenders chasing after him over and back the pitch needed Benny Hill music played over it.

He tried a few crazily difficult ones the last day in the first half.

Great he's so confident though; the more responsibility he's willing to take on, the better for us. One of the points he scored in the second half with Donegal defenders chasing after him over and back the pitch needed Benny Hill music played over it.

It was class. He's in great form. His acceleration is frightening

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

GS11 wrote: »

It's a concern that we don't have a nailed-on freetaker like Joyce himself was or Michael Meehan when he was there. Shane Walsh is playing really well and it's great to see, but his freetaking is inconsistent and we don't seem to have too many other options there at the moment.

Shane is a good option for the difficult frees as he will score some of those that another player might not, but you need a freetaker that will robotically convert the relatively easier ones and at the moment we don't have that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

No doubt that Shane is a class act. I always thought that he was lazy for such a talented man, needed more involvements in a game. Really good move making him Captain, he needs to be a leader and fulfill his full potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

aidan24326 wrote: »
    It's a concern that we don't have a nailed-on freetaker like Joyce himself was or Michael Meehan when he was there. Shane Walsh is playing really well and it's great to see, but his freetaking is inconsistent and we don't seem to have too many other options there at the moment.

Shane is a good option for the difficult frees as he will score some of those that another player might not, but you need a freetaker that will robotically convert the relatively easier ones and at the moment we don't have that.

In fairness Barry McHugh looked some find for frees alone but offered similar lack of output in-play to Boyle currently.

The Galway squad to play Tipperary on Sunday in Pearse Stadium at 2.00 pm

1. James Skehill (Cappataggle)
    2. Darren Morrissey (SarsfieldsGAA)
    3. Gearoid McInerney (Oranmore/Maree)
    4. Sean Loftus (Turloughmore)
    5. Padraic Mannion - Capt. (Ahascragh-Fohenagh)
    6. Shane Cooney (St. Thomas')
    7. Fintan Burke (St. Thomas')
    8. Cathal Mannion (Ahascragh/Fohenagh)
    9. Adrian Tuohy (Beagh)
    10. Niall Burke (Oranmore/Maree)
    11. Joe Canning (Portumna)
    12. Tadhg Haran (Liam Mellows)
    13. Sean Bleahane (Ahascragh/Fohenagh)
    14. Conor Whelan (Kinvara)
    15. Conor Cooney (St. Thomas')

Subs
    16. Eanna Murphy (Tommy Larkins)
    17. TJ Brennan (Clarinbridge)
    18. Paul Killeen (Tynagh-Abbey/Duniry)
    19. Sean Linnane (Turloughmore)
    20. Jack Grealish (Gort)
    21. Conor Walsh (Turloughmore)
    22. Evan Niland (Clarinbridge)
    23. Jason Flynn (Tommy Larkins)
    24. Brian Concannon (Killimordaly)
    25. Diarmuid Kilcommins (Annaghdown)
    26. Ja Mannion (Cappataggle)

Statement of intent with that team I feel. Still a few important cogs to return.

U20 game changed to Mohill for anyone heading up.

The Galway squad to play Tipperary on Sunday in Pearse Stadium at 2.00 pm

1. James Skehill (Cappataggle)
    2. Darren Morrissey (SarsfieldsGAA)
    3. Gearoid McInerney (Oranmore/Maree)
    4. Sean Loftus (Turloughmore)
    5. Padraic Mannion - Capt. (Ahascragh-Fohenagh)
    6. Shane Cooney (St. Thomas')
    7. Fintan Burke (St. Thomas')
    8. Cathal Mannion (Ahascragh/Fohenagh)
    9. Adrian Tuohy (Beagh)
    10. Niall Burke (Oranmore/Maree)
    11. Joe Canning (Portumna)
    12. Tadhg Haran (Liam Mellows)
    13. Sean Bleahane (Ahascragh/Fohenagh)
    14. Conor Whelan (Kinvara)
    15. Conor Cooney (St. Thomas')

Subs
    16. Eanna Murphy (Tommy Larkins)
    17. TJ Brennan (Clarinbridge)
    18. Paul Killeen (Tynagh-Abbey/Duniry)
    19. Sean Linnane (Turloughmore)
    20. Jack Grealish (Gort)
    21. Conor Walsh (Turloughmore)
    22. Evan Niland (Clarinbridge)
    23. Jason Flynn (Tommy Larkins)
    24. Brian Concannon (Killimordaly)
    25. Diarmuid Kilcommins (Annaghdown)
    26. Ja Mannion (Cappataggle)

Statement of intent with that team I feel. Still a few important cogs to return.

Much better front 6 and good to see Cathal Mannion back in midfield. Still very exposed at the back with Mc not a FB and Shane Cooney no where near as good as Mc at CB. If his intention is to play Daithi in midfield when he returns then he better start looking at a different number 3 quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

threeball wrote: »
    Much better front 6 and good to see Cathal Mannion back in midfield. Still very exposed at the back with Mc not a FB and Shane Cooney no where near as good as Mc at CB. If his intention is to play Daithi in midfield when he returns then he better start looking at a different number 3 quickly.

I wouldn't write off Cooney at 6 just yet, he's only had one game there and is a more natural hurler than GMac. Daithi will have to be at no. 3. Surprised Loftus starting again instead of TJ Brennan who hasn't done a lot wrong. Midfield and forward units beefed up well.

With forecast, could be all academic anyway.

• Advertisement

MfMan wrote: »
    I wouldn't write off Cooney at 6 just yet, he's only had one game there and is a more natural hurler than GMac. Daithi will have to be at no. 3. Surprised Loftus starting again instead of TJ Brennan who hasn't done a lot wrong. Midfield and forward units beefed up well.

With forecast, could be all academic anyway.

Murphy probably didn't deserve to be dropped for Skehill either. He has limited chances to establish himself in the squad as it stands.

Advertisement