Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

GS11 wrote: »
    Would be worried about the same thing although we did have men behind the ball at times, not quite as extreme as b4 so hopefully its part of the plan. As you say, there has to be a happy medium, the great thing is the pace we are breaking with.

Its the league so its hard to judge. In the four games to date my main issue hasn't being the "defending" but more the workrate if that makes any sort sense. One on one to a man the defenders are doing ok. Sean Kelly has gone toe to toe with Michael Murphy and now Cathal McShane in the last two games and did well in both.Johnny Heaney has struggled a little more but is certainly holding his own and in a new position I would expect him to improve as the year goes on if he stays in the position. Sometimes defending is what you know in your head rather than anything else.

The issue we've had and it was very evident against Tyrone first half, patches against Donegal and most of the Monaghan game is Galway players tracking the runners. Kevin Walsh set up that the wall was built on our 45 and defend it from there. PJ is trying to get them to defend higher up the pitch and turn the ball over. When you do that though the players need to show the desire to track players. Too often opposition players are ghosting past our lads who I would class as being more in a jog than a sprint. Couple of passes later the fella that ghosted past them is shooting on goal.

Hopefully as the lads get fitter and realise the role that is expected of them this can improve. Our defence is probably never going to be rock solid but if we can keep ourselves on the front foot for as much as possible with an end product then it will be ok. Front foot and turn the ball over then things will get hairy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The kickouts are as big an issue as ever and could hold us back from being serious contenders. Tom Flynn is not fully fit and will definitely improve 50/50's but we're still useless at retaining our own. I don't blame Gleeson or the keepers. Runners are static.

The kickouts are as big an issue as ever and could hold us back from being serious contenders. Tom Flynn is not fully fit and will definitely improve 50/50's but we're still useless at retaining our own. I don't blame Gleeson or the keepers. Runners are static.

Thought our kickouts were the worst they've been the last day. Usually like yourself I would be quick to defend the keeper but for whatever reason Gleeson couldn't spot the runners the last day. Steede on a few occasions was unmarked beside the new seats and he wasn't spotted. McDaid and Silke at times unmarked in the pocket between the full back and half back line and he only spotted it on a few occasions. At least its something that can be worked on but it has to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,150 ✭✭✭threeball

There is a small balance back towards defence that we need to make but it does need to be made as our centre especially is wide open. The big plus is that teams are worried about committing too many forward against us because our transition out of defence is as fast as i have ever seen.
    I'd prefer to see our CB hold position and let our wing backs attack or corner backs overlap. Thats a game that doesn't really suit Silke but would suit G'OD as Silke offers far more going forward. Daly would be better suited to holding the centre role too. If you can keep Mulkerrin and our CB in the centre we won't concede too many goals.

I'd blame the manager if the structures aren't in place, and there's been no change from the KW days.

But there was one kick the last day that was Gleesons fault, very early in the game with the camera behind him there was two free runners to corner back and he stalled before kicking it long and we lost it.

Our players are still occupying space rather than opening it and running into it so it takes some lack pressing to get a man free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Gleeson is a big fella and has a presence about him and looks a good shot stopper but I'd be seriously concerned about his kickouts. Even if we get players making runs free out to the wings, I'm not convinced he'd be able to pick them out with any regularity. His kicking from the ground doesn't look very smooth.

But the only option is to either stick with him or go back to Power.

Gleeson is a big fella and has a presence about him and looks a good shot stopper but I'd be seriously concerned about his kickouts. Even if we get players making runs free out to the wings, I'm not convinced he'd be able to pick them out with any regularity. His kicking from the ground doesn't look very smooth.

It's early days. Kicking accurately from the ground takes alot of practice but it can be learned. It would take longer to teach the facets of his game that he's good at than the ones he needs to work on. I'd stick with him and have the goalies drill the kick outs to death. The movement outfield still needs to be better too.

threeball wrote:
    It's early days. Kicking accurately from the ground takes alot of practice but it can be learned. It would take longer to teach the facets of his game that he's good at than the ones he needs to work on. I'd stick with him and have the goalies drill the kick outs to death. The movement outfield still needs to be better too.

Not looking to change anything and apart from injuries I don't see PJ changing outside of Gleeson, Power and O' Bealaoin but what I've seen of Conor Flaherty for the U20 games he is an excellent prospect. Every apart of his game is strong apart from experience.

It's an area that needs to improve because it's a massive part of the modern game. In defence of the last day for whatever reason Morgan seemed to struggle just as much. So maybe it was just "the day that was in it"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The 'mood music' from the hurling side of the county isn't as bad as you'd expect. The league this year is focused on trying a few new players in new positions. There's another AI in the current crop of Galway hurlers.

The 'mood music' from the hurling side of the county isn't as bad as you'd expect. The league this year is focused on trying a few new players in new positions. There's another AI in the current crop of Galway hurlers.

A win this weekend would be helpful to management. Lose and it's done with possibly only a dead rubber against Tipp left. Win and a top three still possible.

• Advertisement

Galway team for the Meath match:

1 Connor Gleeson
    2 Seán Kelly
    3 Seán Mulkerrin
    4 Johnny Heaney
    5 Liam Silke
    6 John Daly
    7 Cillian McDaid
    8 Ronan Steede
    9 Tom Flynn
    10 Eamon Brannigan
    11 Damien Comer
    12 Michael Daly
    13 Martin Farragher
    14 Shane Walsh
    15 Adrian Varley

• Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

No sign of Kieran Molloy yet with Galway this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

Power injured for the moment.

RMAOK wrote: »
    No sign of Kieran Molloy yet with Galway this year?

Heard he’s been carrying a knock from the club final. Hasn’t even been on the bench for any game yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

1 Connor Gleeson
    2 Seán Kelly
    3 Seán Mulkerrin
    4 Johnny Heaney
    5 Liam Silke
    6 John Daly
    7 Cillian McDaid
    8 Ronan Steede
    9 Tom Flynn
    10 Eamon Brannigan
    11 Damien Comer
    12 Michael Daly
    13 Martin Farragher
    14 Shane Walsh
    15 Adrian Varley

I like the look of that team be interesting to see how Farragher gets on with hopefully more direct ball been given in to him than previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

Oh to be young and full of optimism! The league doesn't appear to be yielding up a needed crop of new forwards yet unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

MfMan wrote: »
    Oh to be young and full of optimism! The league doesn't appear to be yielding up a needed crop of new forwards yet unfortunately.

I’m 54, pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

MfMan wrote: »

I think Concannon is improving year on year, hope he steps up this year.

Unfortunately Conor Cooney seems to be losing form but early days.

1 Connor Gleeson
    2 Seán Kelly
    3 Seán Mulkerrin
    4 Johnny Heaney
    5 Liam Silke
    6 John Daly
    7 Cillian McDaid
    8 Ronan Steede
    9 Tom Flynn
    10 Eamon Brannigan
    11 Damien Comer
    12 Michael Daly
    13 Martin Farragher
    14 Shane Walsh
    15 Adrian Varley

They're exactly the changes I was looking for. I think we'll see more goals with Farragher in there. Silke a better attacking option than GOD and hopefully Daly holds the centre and stops the runners coming through for the goal chances we are coughing up. The only one I'm still not sold on there is Tom Flynn. He needs to start putting in some serious shifts on the restarts. otherwise you're better off play Conroy or a defensively minded player with an engine. i think G'OD would be worth a look there. Could solve our issue of being too open at the same time. Its a pity Duggan and Cooke are missing. We'd have serious options then.

threeball wrote: »
    They're exactly the changes I was looking for. I think we'll see more goals with Farragher in there. Silke a better attacking option than GOD and hopefully Daly holds the centre and stops the runners coming through for the goal chances we are coughing up. The only one I'm still not sold on there is Tom Flynn. He needs to start putting in some serious shifts on the restarts. otherwise you're better off play Conroy or a defensively minded player with an engine. i think G'OD would be worth a look there. Could solve our issue of being too open at the same time. Its a pity Duggan and Cooke are missing. We'd have serious options then.

Flynn is our best ball winner in midfield. By a distance I'd say. Steede is a good kick passer and long range point scorer but he's not going to win too much primary possession. Has the potential to be a decent partnership as they are both good at different things.

Cooke a big loss alright as he seems perfect for Joyce's style of football. No Duggan or O'Curraoin now so I think the only other options in midfield are Conroy, D'Arcy and Enda Tierney. Not sure they see Conroy as a 70 minute performer any more. Have a feeling his role might be 20/25 minutes off the bench this year.

• Advertisement

Flynn is our best ball winner in midfield. By a distance I'd say. Steede is a good kick passer and long range point scorer but he's not going to win too much primary possession. Has the potential to be a decent partnership as they are both good at different things.

Cooke a big loss alright as he seems perfect for Joyce's style of football. No Duggan or O'Curraoin now so I think the only other options in midfield are Conroy, D'Arcy and Enda Tierney. Not sure they see Conroy as a 70 minute performer any more. Have a feeling his role might be 20/25 minutes off the bench this year.

Flynn is best at the moment due to our kick out style but if we had better movement on kickouts I think his percentage would drop significantly. Outside of that his contribution is poor and he doesn't really get about. He has the odd good game but they are rare. Against running teams like Kerry and Dublin he's lost. He's still a good option against teams with big midfielders. Steede likes to attack, we need someone that's happy to hold the fort when he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

The best of luck to the sarsfields camogie tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Is Big Joe fit for tomorrow? Think ye'll get the result of he is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭big_drive

Lads, travelling up tomorrow from Cork. First time up for a game, anything to be aware of regarding parking etc?

big_drive wrote: »
    Lads, travelling up tomorrow from Cork. First time up for a game, anything to be aware of regarding parking etc?

If game goes ahead there's free parking all along the prom. There's paid parking in the school across the road on Threadneedle Road too. Best option imo is to park in one of the estates on Kingston Rd but just be respectful about where you park as they've ticketed cars before for partially blocking entrances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭big_drive

If game goes ahead there's free parking all along the prom. There's paid parking in the school across the road on Threadneedle Road too. Best option imo is to park in one of the estates on Kingston Rd but just be respectful about where you park as they've ticketed cars before for partially blocking entrances.

Great thanks for the advice

big_drive wrote: »
    Great thanks for the advice

My pleasure. Safe travels.

That Tyrone result is a nice boost for us. A win tomorrow against Meath puts us firmly in the driving seat and if we could tag on a few points it would leave our scoring difference in a near untouchable position. Navan pitch is usually pretty firm so should suit us.

God knows what type of lottery Pearse stadium will throw up tomorrow.

Double post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭spurshero

threeball wrote: »
    That Tyrone result is a nice boost for us. A win tomorrow against Meath puts us firmly in the driving seat and if we could tag on a few points it would leave our scoring difference in a near untouchable position. Navan pitch is usually pretty firm so should suit us.

God knows what type of lottery Pearse stadium will throw up tomorrow.
    Let’s win tomo first and see where we are then . Meath are not as bad as table suggests they were very unlucky v Mayo and were far from disgraced down in Kerry last week . They will get a result soon let’s hope it’s not tomo .

Advertisement