Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Breeze died a little since the shower. Pity about the first two goals. Poor enough on both. Third one was exceptional. Looked well in the game for most against the elements last five mins could be the difference.

Our forwards wouldn't win an argument. We're the only team I've watched that you see a ball played into the forwards and it's nowhere near anyone.

That's as much on the backs as well and I'd have pin the most blame on the coaches as the forwards should be attacking certain areas as the player is advancing before playing the ball.
    There doesn't seem to be any sort of cohesion to how we're playing it in.

We have about 5 very good players but the rest are so far off the mark its alarming, theres also such a drop off after that mark that theres next to no difference between number 6 and 30.

If Cork hadn't a man sent off last week we'd be heading for a sweep as they were coming close to taking the lead at that point.

Sadly we've fallen off a cliff since 2017, Off the Ball put us at 9th in their rankings about two weeks ago and to be fair it's probably accurate.
    We might be ahead of Dublin but it's hard to argue anyone else.

Concannon has probably bumped himself up to 3rd best forward over the past few weeks after Canning and Whelan.

Fair play to him as he never pushed on from his first year but has shown a lot of improvement this year.

No surprises either that both had a hand in the goal and he set up Flynn last week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Whelan, wow!

Concannon making a statement here!

so much for Tipp delaying coming out for the 2nd half for all the good it's done them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭Robson99

Conor Cooney, Flynn and niall Burke are shadows of the players they were in 2017 and are not showing any signs
    Of regaining any bit of inter county form
    Great to see Concannon and Whelan working so well inside. Could have had another goal if Concannon had laid it off
    Johnny Coen having a great game as is Fintan Burke and Harte

• Advertisement

Concannon has probably bumped himself up to 3rd best forward over the past few weeks after Canning and Whelan.

What did poor C Mannion do on ya

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭Robson99

His best position in middle of the park

Robson99 wrote:
    His best position in middle of the park

I'd like to see the same as last year with two midfielders and Mannion more or less having a free role

I don't see him as a forward.

I proposed playing him at midfield years ago as he was similar to Flynn in that he struggled in a duel but it was evident he was lethal with the ball and you can get that space and time in midfield.

So Conncannon goes up to 3rd and the other two positions are up for grabs beyond what normally is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭threeball

Great second half display. Battled extremely hard. Whelans goal was top drawer but I didn't have him as MOTM. It was either Concannon or Niland for me. Thrown in Joe and Daithi there and we have a stronger panel than 2017. Its starting to come together nicely. Still one or two not pulling the weight they're capable off and Padraig Mannions form is a worry, he was poor again which isn't like him at all.

Very positive outing overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭threeball

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Whelan, wow!

Concannon making a statement here!

so much for Tipp delaying coming out for the 2nd half for all the good it's done them.

That coming out when you feel like it needs to be eradicated. Tell both teams what time the ball is being thrown in. If one team isn't there throw the ball in. Once the team scores if the ball isn't pucked out within 20 secs award a free from the 21. 6pts will soften that sh1te fairly lively.

threeball wrote: »
    That coming out when you feel like it needs to be eradicated. Tell both teams what time the ball is being thrown in. If one team isn't there throw the ball in. Once the team scores if the ball isn't pucked out within 20 secs award a free from the 21. 6pts will soften that sh1te fairly lively.

that might as well have happened with our reaction & the hammering we gave them in the 2nd :D

but yeah, you're right, it's complete & utter nonsense, sh1thousery of the highest order & it'll continue to happen as long as it goes unpunished.

Be great if next weekend could be a double header. Be some atmosphere Galway vs. Mayo and Galway vs. Wexford.

Be great if next weekend could be a double header. Be a atmosphere Galway vs. Mayo and Galway vs. Wexford.

big time, when is the toss for the Wexford game?

Davy was in the stand today as I mentioned earlier, they should have just brought him down on to the pitch after the game & done it there & then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Double header next Sunday would make Galway's winters training worthwhile for both codes.
    Today's game was better than most this time of the year ,their 3rd goal, our sideline cut,
    That's the pick for me but its only a small part of a good match in horrible conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Headed in this afternoon as I was down in Galway for the weekend. Jesus, I hate Pearse Stadium.

Anyways, it was a very good game of hurling for this time of the year. Plenty of positives to take away from the performance, and I can see a long summer for the team. Would have a few questions about the backs, especially under breaking ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Not a lot to add really. Whelan, Niland and Concannon made bits of Tipp.

Lads like Fintan Burke and Johnny Coen won everything in the second half.

David Burke made a massive impact off the bench.

Here's hoping we get a double-header Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Great win for Galway today, albeit we looked in serious bother in that full back line in the first half. Niland is worth his place on the team just for frees alone (if canning isn't playing). Some of his frees in the first half into that gale were brilliant.

Good to see concannon getting a good run of scores from game to game. I think he's been threatening that for a while. Must say that padraig mannion doesn't look 100% atm - maybe a break might do him good.

It's good to get another game, especially for the newer lads, before the championship.

RMAOK wrote:
    Good to see concannon getting a good run of scores from game to game. I think he's been threatening that for a while. Must say that padraig mannion doesn't look 100% atm - maybe a break might do him good.

Hard to understand why week to week P. Mannion is coming off seemingly injured or at the least carrying a knock. We have plenty of options in half back line. As you say a break might be the best option.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

threeball wrote: »
    What a mixed bag. Concannon excellent but our only scoring threat. Whelan too far from goal. Defence playing well for most of the half but caught for 3 stupid goals. Have no idea how Morrissey is still on. Hes being exposed every time. Flynn is anonymous and Conor Cooney is wasteful. If we hadn't conceded only one of the 3 goals we'd be in a strong position such is the wind. Dominate the half yet go in 7 down due to nothing more than concentration lapses.

Thought Fintan burke was poor enough. There was one stage in the first half he made 4 mistakes in a row.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭cosatron

looking at evan niland performance yesterday, it would really make you wonder what the f**k the management were looking at last year when canning went down. if we had niland we would have beaten wexford in the stadium. I think O'Neill is doing a good job in terms of developing a panel of players which was MOD biggest downfall.

Wexford have won the toss and will host the National Hurling League quarter-final against Galway next weekend.

The game will take place next Saturday afternoon (March 14th) with the time to be confirmed later.

The first quarter-final takes place on Saturday at 3pm in Chadwicks Wexford Park when Wexford host Galway, while, on Sunday, Kilkenny play Waterford in Nowlan Park at 2pm.

Looks like it'll be beo on TG4. The best sports channel in the country.

Galway's NHL Quarter-final with Wexford will be shown live on TG4 this Saturday, throw-in at 3pm, live from Chadwicks Wexford Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

cosatron wrote: »
    looking at evan niland performance yesterday, it would really make you wonder what the f**k the management were looking at last year when canning went down. if we had niland we would have beaten wexford in the stadium. I think O'Neill is doing a good job in terms of developing a panel of players which was MOD biggest downfall.

The way the modern game is now asking young fellas to play inter county at 18,19,20 and 21 years of age is a big ask. The way players are training and getting the right foods they are at the physical peak at 22/23 throwing in unprepared kids is the only way to destroy them in senior hurling/ football.Its a professional setup now the word amateur is only playing lip service. The sooner players start getting paid to play the better. They are the only ones missing out on the cash flow and there doing all the hard work. Maybe MD wanted to give him another year before he thought he was ready.

Looks like it'll be beo on TG4. The best sports channel in the country.

I posted this a little after you had, didn't even look to see see if had been posted, my bad.

Sorry if it looked like I undermined or ignored your post in any way.

Tipp off to Spain for a training camp I see, that's what a wet day in Pearse Stadium will do to ya, was sat there wishing for a holiday myself :D

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Sorry if it looked like I undermined or ignored your post in any way.

No worries. That's actually the best way to read my posts tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Anyone know if the match is on tg4?

• Advertisement

Galway's NFL meeting with Mayo will be shown live on TG4 this Sunday, throw-in at 2pm, live from Pearse Stadium.

Advertisement