Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Robert2014

So if the football league is not finished as is the most likely scenario, are we the champions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

No question. May be random. But rumour is the league needs to be finished. To the extent they'll finish the league and switch championship to straight knock out....

I'm guessing we're not allowed an open top parade?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

I says wrote: »
    The way the modern game is now asking young fellas to play inter county at 18,19,20 and 21 years of age is a big ask. The way players are training and getting the right foods they are at the physical peak at 22/23 throwing in unprepared kids is the only way to destroy them in senior hurling/ football.Its a professional setup now the word amateur is only playing lip service. The sooner players start getting paid to play the better. They are the only ones missing out on the cash flow and there doing all the hard work. Maybe MD wanted to give him another year before he thought he was ready.

Paying players means that they have to be able to move county/transfer. Legally you would be interfering with their ability to earn a living. Bosman or very similar. The richest counties would hoover up the best players.

Galway vs. New York first inter country fixture casualty. Will have to find other things to do over there if I'm able to fly!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭threeball

Galway vs. New York first inter country fixture casualty. Will have to find other things to do over there if I'm able to fly!

I doubt you'll be going anywhere. The US is going to be worse than Europe shortly. So many poor areas in large cities.

• Advertisement

threeball wrote:
    I doubt you'll be going anywhere. The US is going to be worse than Europe shortly. So many poor areas in large cities.

Not that I wish ill will on anyone especially with this virus rampaging through the world like a pi*sed off Damo if international flights remained closed off to the USA it would be great so I could either refund or rebook if the match was to still go ahead.

Not that I wish ill will on anyone especially with this virus rampaging through the world like a pi*sed off Damo if international flights remained closed off to the USA it would be great so I could either refund or rebook if the match was to still go ahead.

No chance they reopen. You won't see flights to the US til June at the earliest. You'll get the refund because Trump closed it down

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

GAA Now have thrown the full 98 final up on youtube. And what a wonderful way to spend an hour of Monday while "working" from home. Have watched the highlights 100's of times but not the full game in a long time. Some things picked up on

- Was always acknowledged that Mannion had a terrific game. My god I never realised to what extent though. About 15 times (no exaggeration) the ball went his direction or corner and he came out with each one. Don't know how Kildare persisted with the tactic. Was probably MOTM despite the heroic's of a couple of others.
    - Fallon was the worst player on the pitch for the first 20 mins. Butchered an easy early goal chance by giving the pass to Finnegan too late. Joyce butchered a similar move in second half. Corofin would have those balls in the net with ease these days
    - Fallon was utterly majestic from 25 mins on in all passages of play. Probably won as many kickouts as anyone on the field
    - Sean O'Domhnaill was very good and outshone Kevin Walsh, albiet the latter came into it from kickouts in second half.
    - Sean og De Paor was brilliant and would slot into the modern game better than anyone there, maybe even including Donnellan.
    - Divilly a better player than remembered. Silke even worse than remembered. Shay Walsh was decent in 1st half. Nothing came off for Savage on the day despite being lively.
    - Finnegan was some baller!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭spurshero

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    GAA Now have thrown the full 98 final up on youtube. And what a wonderful way to spend an hour of Monday while "working" from home. Have watched the highlights 100's of times but not the full game in a long time. Some things picked up on

- Was always acknowledged that Mannion had a terrific game. My god I never realised to what extent though. About 15 times (no exaggeration) the ball went his direction or corner and he came out with each one. Don't know how Kildare persisted with the tactic. Was probably MOTM despite the heroic's of a couple of others.
    - Fallon was the worst player on the pitch for the first 20 mins. Butchered an easy early goal chance by giving the pass to Finnegan too late. Joyce butchered a similar move in second half. Corofin would have those balls in the net with ease these days
    - Fallon was utterly majestic from 25 mins on in all passages of play. Probably won as many kickouts as anyone on the field
    - Sean O'Domhnaill was very good and outshone Kevin Walsh, albiet the latter came into it from kickouts in second half.
    - Sean og De Paor was brilliant and would slot into the modern game better than anyone there, maybe even including Donnellan.
    - Divilly a better player than remembered. Silke even worse than remembered. Shay Walsh was decent in 1st half. Nothing came off for Savage on the day despite being lively.
    - Finnegan was some baller!

We had great forwards them years but Mannion and de paor were as good as defenders that wore the maroon and white . De paor was good for a score in a lot of games as well . Mannion was brilliant at corner back in 98 particularly the final where he was man of match in my opinion . And he was crucial in 2001 as he solved our centre back issues . Great days . Would love to see them back !

Would like to wish Kieran Fitzgerald best of luck for the future after his weekend retirement announcement . One senior all Ireland with Galway from 2001 when he also earned an all star . 4 all Ireland s clubs and 14 county titles . Incredible stuff. Also winning an all Ireland county in 01 and a club all Ireland this year 19 years apart has to be some kind of record . Going out after a hatrick of club all Ireland s approaching 40 is a nice way to go !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

spurshero wrote: »
    Would like to wish Kieran Fitzgerald best of luck for the future after his weekend retirement announcement . One senior all Ireland with Galway from 2001 when he also earned an all star . 4 all Ireland s clubs and 14 county titles . Incredible stuff. Also winning an all Ireland county in 01 and a club all Ireland this year 19 years apart has to be some kind of record . Going out after a hatrick of club all Ireland s approaching 40 is a nice way to go !

Same as that, fair play to him, he has some medal collection, genuine nice fella to go with it all. Good luck in retirement! Even though it wouldn’t surprise me to see him lining out for the juniors next year or on the line with the seniors.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Robert2014

Interesting piece on Galway hurling from Anthony Daly. Wouldn't agree with all of it but an interesting perspective from the outside:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/columnists/anthony-daly/anthony-daly-the-perennial-questions-we-ask-about-galway-are-still-there-1010759.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Galway hurling manager Shane O’Neill could be handed a second boost from the Covid-19 pandemic with 2017 All-Ireland winner Johnny Glynn transferring back to his home club Ardrahan from the United States.

It remains to be seen if Glynn bases himself in Galway for the coming months or whether he commutes, but his transfer from the Sligo club in New York has been rubber-stamped and he is expected to feature for his native club in the next few weeks.

The 27-year old, who will be getting married in Ireland over the Christmas period, may just confine his involvement to the Ardrahan club this year but his return to Ireland will undoubtedly lead to speculation that he might also be available to Galway when the inter-county season gets under way.

Joseph Cooney, who returned to Australia a year ago when the Tribesmen narrowly failed to get out of Leinster, came back to Ireland when the pandemic broke out and O’Neill has confirmed the Sarsfields clubman will be available when they resume training in September.

Glynn, another key member of the 2017 All-Ireland win, appeared to bring the curtain down on his inter-county career earlier this year but he subsequently rowed back on that in a later interview after recovering from coronavirus in March.

Glynn, who works as a project manager for Irish-owned construction company Topline Drywall, emigrated after losing the 2015 All-Ireland final to Kilkenny and lined out for the New York footballers the following year when they almost shocked Roscommon in the Connacht championship.

He commuted from the Big Apple to help end Galway’s All-Ireland famine in 2017 and continued to travel home the following summer when they were beaten in the final by Limerick.

Glynn also commuted to play for Galway last summer but transferred his club allegiance to Sligo in the US, helping them win the New York championship for the first time in 35 years.

He was a selector with the New York team which was due to play Galway in the Connacht championship in May but Ardrahan club chairman Eoin O’Sullivan said they always hoped he would return to play with them again.

“We have always said to Johnny that the door was always open for him in Ardrahan. The lads have great time for him. When he was hurling with us he always gave it everything.

“Last year was the first year he didn’t play with us but of course we would love to have him back. He’s a great lad,” said O’Sullivan.

Ardrahan are due to play the first of three group games in the Galway SHC the weekend after next when they take on Killimordaly, with further games to come against Athenry and Beagh.

Robert2014 wrote: »
    Interesting piece on Galway hurling from Anthony Daly. Wouldn't agree with all of it but an interesting perspective from the outside:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/columnists/anthony-daly/anthony-daly-the-perennial-questions-we-ask-about-galway-are-still-there-1010759.html

I read that myself yesterday alright, as you said I wouldn't agree with all of it but an interesting read none the less.

If there's any truth to that voicemail that is shocking.

with regards Daly he always seems to have a bit of an axe to grind with Galway. Fair enough there’s not many younger guys coming from those minor teams just yet, but this Galway team is still fairly young, so hard to replace lads who are still in their prime.

Also, going in cold to an all Ireland semi final was never an advantage to Galway, absolute nonsense that.

DVDM93 wrote:
    If there's any truth to that voicemail that is shocking.

Not a fan of the piece. But I guess it has its merits. Plenty of golden generations of other counties (Waterford, Limerick in the 90s) never get savaged as much as Galway.

But this voicemail story is and always will be a major issue in Galway. Our board will never be facilitators to teams. They always want to be top dog's and flex their muscle. And it's always been to the detriment of Galway GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Quite an unfair piece. Disappointing from someone I'd have liked to manage Galway at some stage. For him to say "i never contemplated it" in such a dismissive tone, about one of the big jobs in the game.

Some of the points made are a bit bizarre. Complaining that a minor manager would make 4/5 changes from a semi final victory to a final, probably based on training games. Surely that's exactly what he should be doing in order to get the best 15 out, having only played 2/3 games to get there. Rather than just sticking with the same group of 17 year olds that started game 1 and ignore training form. And given that they absolutely farmed minor titles, it was hardly a losing strategy.

Also complaining about a sweeper system at minor, as if that's the only reason they won 2015-18, yet has his anecdote elsewhere about how Galway are by far and away the underage standard.

Insane cherry picking of stats to put Clare ahead of Galway also. "3 All Irelands to 1 in the last 3 decades", when if you go back a further 10 years its 3-3 or another 10 it's 4-3. Only an idiot would argue Clare have been the better county in recent times

Great ammunition to pin to a wall of a dressing room. You'd get months of motivation just glancing at it. Yes there's some merit, mainly the comments about the county board but the tone of the article is a pop at the entire set up.

threeball wrote: »
    Great ammunition to pin to a wall of a dressing room. You'd get months of motivation just glancing at it. Yes there's some merit, mainly the comments about the county board but the tone of the article is a pop at the entire set up.

"Galway... a nice team... fancy dans... there's only one fcuking answer for that"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Wonder will he write an article on how most of the Clare team of 95 and 97 have such an intense dislike for each other?

DVDM93 wrote:
    "Galway... a nice team... fancy dans... there's only one fcuking answer for that"

A line that will hopefully never be forgotten. Still gives me goosebumps seeing it on A Year till Sunday.

• Advertisement

John Daly out for season . Big loss . He had centre back sorted . A position that had cause us a lot of trouble last few years

John Daly out for season . Big loss . He had centre back sorted . A position that had cause us a lot of trouble last few years

I doubt there'll be a season. Big loss to mountbellew though. They had a good shot at the big prize this year.

threeball wrote: »
    I doubt there'll be a season. Big loss to mountbellew though. They had a good shot at the big prize this year.

You could well be right . Who knows . Have to prepare and hope for one anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

What got him? Leg trouble flare up again?

MfMan wrote: »
    What got him? Leg trouble flare up again?

Knee ligament damage i was told .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

That's a pity. He was playing well. It was great to have options with him and the others. Silke to CB?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

Knee ligament damage i was told .

Is this a new injury or a recurrence of an old one? Was it a broken leg he had before or something? Can't remember....

MfMan wrote: »
    Is this a new injury or a recurrence of an old one? Was it a broken leg he had before or something? Can't remember....

Not sure to be honest

• Advertisement

macslash wrote: »
    That's a pity. He was playing well. It was great to have options with him and the others. Silke to CB?

Possibly . Brawshaw or o Donnell ain’t the answer to centre back anyway . God playing well to be fair but he’s a wing back I think

Advertisement