Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I've only watched 3 streams so far but for a single-camera setup I've been happy enough and definitely got my money's worth. My only gripes (very minor as I know it's probably a very low budget operation) are that they don't seem to have have any in-game graphics bar the scores and I really wish they didn't go stand-side for Tuam Stadium as those poles are some pain in the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

I've only watched 3 streams so far but for a single-camera setup I've been happy enough and definitely got my money's worth. My only gripes (very minor as I know it's probably a very low budget operation) are that they don't seem to have have any in-game graphics bar the scores and I really wish they didn't go stand-side for Tuam Stadium as those poles are some pain in the arse.

What kind of in game graphics do you mean? Do you mean a caption displaying a player's name and stuff like that? I have to say, it's not something I miss at all. Actually, I prefer a more basic version. Also replays not getting in the way of kickouts is terrific. I can watch replays after - I want to watch the whole match live!

What kind of in game graphics do you mean? Do you mean a caption displaying a player's name and stuff like that? I have to say, it's not something I miss at all. Actually, I prefer a more basic version. Also replays not getting in the way of kickouts is terrific. I can watch replays after - I want to watch the whole match live!

Yep for subs more than anything. I feel they use replays perfectly. They'll throw a compilation up during waterbreaks/stoppages and after a goal but that's fine.

Yep for subs more than anything. I feel they use replays perfectly. They'll throw a compilation up during waterbreaks/stoppages and after a goal but that's fine.

Could be handy for subs alright. And something that should be simple for them to do. There are online programs on Galway GAA that provide a handy reference to player numbers though.

It's not the end of the world anyways and in fairness to them I believe it's a low manpower operation so they may not have the resources to work the camera, stream and provide sub graphics.

All in all it's been great and they've done well to cover as wide a spread of teams as possible.

• Advertisement

They seem to have moved the camera to a lower position in Tuam for today's games. Didnt think the quality was as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CJunior

Hi lads, starting a course in Galway next month and looking to join a club to play hurling. Never played competitively before but have all the basic tools from tapping around with friends and things like that and I'd say I'm reasonably fit. Just wondering what the standard of Junior C hurling would be and how the season is structured. My nearest team would be Salthill-Knocknacarra I think. I presume the best way to go about it is to go to a game and chat to someone from the club?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭basillarkin

CJunior wrote: »
    Hi lads, starting a course in Galway next month and looking to join a club to play hurling. Never played competitively before but have all the basic tools from tapping around with friends and things like that and I'd say I'm reasonably fit. Just wondering what the standard of Junior C hurling would be and how the season is structured. My nearest team would be Salthill-Knocknacarra I think. I presume the best way to go about it is to go to a game and chat to someone from the club?

play with your nearest club imo, rahoon, mellows and castlegar all have C teams aswell i think

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

mad scoreline this evening in the St.Thomas - Portumna game. 4-38 to 0-15? Portumna aren't what they used to be but seems like they weren't even trying there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

aidan24326 wrote: »
    mad scoreline this evening in the St.Thomas - Portumna game. 4-38 to 0-15? Portumna aren't what they used to be but seems like they weren't even trying there.

Weren't they already gone down anyway?

• Advertisement

Weren't they already gone down anyway?

Not sure about the relegation but yeah they'd had 2 fairly bad beatings before this so were well out of contention in terms of progressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭spurshero

There trying alright but have not much coming through and have lost the majority of there great team . Fair chance they will be intermediate in next couple years .

The writing has been on the wall for them for the past few years now.

Its pretty poor that after their successes and JC factor, they couldn't get a system of "success breeds success" going down there.
    If it was a small village you could say that system wouldn't be sustainable regardless of success, or having
    a star player, but it's a big enough town so they've completely dropped the ball and look to be heading back to Intermediate soon.

The writing has been on the wall for them for the past few years now.

Its pretty poor that after their successes and JC factor, they couldn't get a system of "success breeds success" going down there.
    If it was a small village you could say that system wouldn't be sustainable regardless of success, or having
    a star player, but it's a big enough town so they've completely dropped the ball and look to be heading back to Intermediate soon.

Yeah you have some of their underage teams playing in the C grade which is surprising for a club that were king of the castle not too long ago.

It does tend to happen though, when you have a team that's kind of a 'golden generation' the fall afterwards can be hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭mjp

Yeah you have some of their underage teams playing in the C grade which is surprising for a club that were king of the castle not too long ago.

It does tend to happen though, when you have a team that's kind of a 'golden generation' the fall afterwards can be hard.

Remember reading article previously on successful all Ireland club winners and how their fortunes at underage fell away. Lot seemed to put it down to marveling at their success at senior level and taking the eye of the ball at underage level. Sarsfields and Athenry would have had similar fortunes even though they have come again in last few years. Would be an interesting study to look at fortunes of successful club teams across the country and their fortunes in 10-15 years post their peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Salthill v Corofin probably the tie of the round in the quarterfinals. Based on the championship so far hard to see Salthill giving them much trouble

SFC draw:

Tuam v Barna
    Moycullen v St James
    Mountbellew/Moylough v Killannin
    Salthill v Corofin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

h2005 wrote:
    Tuam v Barna Moycullen v St James Mountbellew/Moylough v Killannin Salthill v Corofin

I know I said it last year but.... Moycullen anyone! Tuam were impressive against Claregalway and should see off a resurgent Barna. M/M vs. Killannin should be tasty. Salthill bringing plenty through but every team looks like cannon fodder to Corofin.

Couple nice games in intermediate. K/C vs. Aran Islands should be decent.

Hurling was excellent this weekend. Gort vs. Mellows very entertaining.

Mellows, Turlough, Thomas's and Cappy maybe for the semis but plenty would fancy their chances.

I know I said it last year but.... Moycullen anyone! Tuam were impressive against Claregalway and should see off a resurgent Barna. M/M vs. Killannin should be tasty. Salthill bringing plenty through but every team looks like cannon fodder to Corofin.

Couple nice games in intermediate. K/C vs. Aran Islands should be decent.

Hurling was excellent this weekend. Gort vs. Mellows very entertaining.

Mellows, Turlough, Thomas's and Cappy maybe for the semis but plenty would fancy their chances.

I'll go for Tuam, Moycullen, Mountbellew, Corofin.

However, I think James could give Moycullen a big big fright. They seem to have good competition for places in their panel and Conroy has arguably been the best player in the club championship to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭bigdaddymac

What is the story with Ballinasloe in either hurling or football both playing at junior level and not doing well it seems at either. It’s a big town and they seem to have a decent setup but yet at adult level they can’t get anything right?

What is the story with Ballinasloe in either hurling or football both playing at junior level and not doing well it seems at either. It’s a big town and they seem to have a decent setup but yet at adult level they can’t get anything right?

Maybe too many sports competing with each other? Rugby is obviously big around that area. Also, unlike most areas in Galway where either football or hurling is king, both are fairly evenly popular around Ballinasloe (I think).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭bigdaddymac

Maybe too many sports competing with each other? Rugby is obviously big around that area. Also, unlike most areas in Galway where either football or hurling is king, both are fairly evenly popular around Ballinasloe (I think).

I understand what you mean, having said that I’m from around that area most of the rugby players are mainly from the rural GAA clubs around.

On the point about football and hurling being evenly popular in ballinasloe same can be said for the likes of moycullen, monivea/abbeyknockmoy annaghdown Remmore areas where clubs there have sometimes senior teams in both codes.

The club seem to always fundraising and being proactive in developing gaa locally but at adult it’s fair an embarrassment. Can’t even win a championship game at junior in either code

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Yeah, I remember St Grellans being a big deal in Football back in the 80's. Barry Brennan who made County, was one of their star performers back then.

I understand what you mean, having said that I’m from around that area most of the rugby players are mainly from the rural GAA clubs around.

On the point about football and hurling being evenly popular in ballinasloe same can be said for the likes of moycullen, monivea/abbeyknockmoy annaghdown Remmore areas where clubs there have sometimes senior teams in both codes.

The club seem to always fundraising and being proactive in developing gaa locally but at adult it’s fair an embarrassment. Can’t even win a championship game at junior in either code

I'd suggest that football is definitely bigger than hurling in Moycullen & Annaghdown. And arguably in Monivea / Abbey too. But yes, I agree - it seems strange that Ballinasloe can't make any impact at adult level. It should be doing better for the size of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭westsidestory

St Grellans had 18 senior County football titles won by 1945. Won another 2 in 1979 & 1980. Strange how a thriving sporting culture can decline in such an area that supplied legends such as John Tull Dunne etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

https://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/galway-gaa-to-investigate-alleged-breach-of-covid-19-restrictions-by-club-1017922.html

If this is true the club involved should face a severe sanction, forget hurling its complete ignorance and disregard for public health.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

https://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/galway-gaa-to-investigate-alleged-breach-of-covid-19-restrictions-by-club-1017922.html

If this is true the club involved should face a severe sanction, forget hurling its complete ignorance and disregard for public health.

Agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭big_drive

Disgrace if true, there is bending the restrictions a bit but thats full on unacceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭threeball

big_drive wrote: »
    Disgrace if true, there is bending the restrictions a bit but thats full on unacceptable

Ridiculous carry on. Coming back from the states, he may as well have been coming back from Wuhan in March. They should get relegated just for thinking about it, never mind following through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

threeball wrote: »
    Ridiculous carry on. Coming back from the states, he may as well have been coming back from Wuhan in March. They should get relegated just for thinking about it, never mind following through.

Agree, but trying to use Covid to get result of a match overturned is a bit low from kinvara as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Result will hardly be overturned but there should be some consequences

Advertisement