Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Agree, but trying to use Covid to get result of a match overturned is a bit low from kinvara as well.
    if this is true you could argue it should be referred to the gardai so the result of the game is a bit inconsequential.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

if this is true you could argue it should be referred to the gardai so the result of the game is a bit inconsequential.
    Do you think that all the plane loads of yanks that arrive here everyday self isolate for two weeks?

Do you think that all the plane loads of yanks that arrive here everyday self isolate for two weeks?
    No but if the reports are true that doesn't make this incident less sufficient or reckless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

No but that doesn't make this incident less sufficient or reckless.

It doesn't. But like Bendybinn posted I struggle to see the motivation of Kinvara. I'm sure plenty will say they're just doing the right thing. I don't buy it. They're fishing for expulsion. Something I'm not sure are even in the rules if found guilty.

It doesn't. But like Bendybinn posted I struggle to see the motivation of Kinvara. I'm sure plenty will say they're just doing the right thing. I don't buy it. They're fishing for expulsion. Something I'm not sure are even in the rules if found guilty.
    I'm not from Galway myself and don't know the background of either club but for Beagh to act in the way allegedly they did is indefensible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭threeball

Agree, but trying to use Covid to get result of a match overturned is a bit low from kinvara as well.

I agree, they should have objected when he was named, refused to play and bring it to the attention of the county board. They put their own players and mentors at risk going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

threeball wrote: »
    I agree, they should have objected when he was named, refused to play and bring it to the attention of the county board. They put their own players and mentors at risk going ahead.

Did they know ahead of the game?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Any truth in the rumours that PJ has walked?

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Any truth in the rumours that PJ has walked?

Absolute nonsense started by this Facebook status & by whoever runs this page (15K followers)

I've just tried to get on to the page there again but I can't so it must have been deactivated by the owner/by Facebook themselves.

What a bizarre thing to post, even as a 'joke' especially with the audience it has.

• Advertisement

I doubt it...

Possibly just a disagreement with the board that happens in every county and got blown out of all proportion.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I doubt it...

Possibly just a disagreement with the board that happens in every county and got blown out of all proportion.

So there's definitely word that PJ is gone?

I thought what I posted above was just a standalone post on that page & there was nothing more to it.

That's mad if he's gone.

DVDM93 wrote:

It's not true.

Thomas's vs. Cappy off tomorrow due to Covid19 confirmed case.

DVDM93 wrote: »

I thought what I posted above was just a standalone post on that page & there was nothing more to it.

That's mad if he's gone.

Nothing definite at all.

I'm just speculating that someone may have heard of a run-of-the-mill disagreement behind the scenes and all of a sudden "he has walked".

Dunmore vs. Cortoon off due to Covid. Starting to spiral out of control. Inter county looks a stretch.

Dunmore vs. Cortoon off due to Covid. Starting to spiral out of control. Inter county looks a stretch.

Was never a runner in reality. The hurling final is now at least a month away. If its Thomas's vs Turlough you could be looking at as many as 6 Gslway players missing knockout first round games. Thats only if no other clubs are affected in the meantime.

Club has been great. We should give clubs the chance to follow their all ireland ambitions rather than start a half assed IC campaign

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭spurshero

I don’t really understand how it’s allowed but supposedly Thomas v Cappy fixed for next Sunday with final this day fortnight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

spurshero wrote: »
    I don’t really understand how it’s allowed but supposedly Thomas v Cappy fixed for next Sunday with final this day fortnight

I guess if all the other players test negative??

I guess if all the other players test negative??

Must be .whatever about inter county starting I don’t see it finishing this year. Matches bunches in so tight together and there’s no chance they will all go ahead in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Must be .whatever about inter county starting I don’t see it finishing this year. Matches bunches in so tight together and there’s no chance they will all go ahead in my opinion

Yeah :(:( And in all likelihood, there will be some weekend along the way where the weather will force a postponement as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 JMR46

I see Gary Sice is back in the Galway squad. With a short season he could make some sort of impact. Thoughts?

As mentioned by some of ye already the biggest problem Galway are going to have is replacing John Daly at centre back, very hard to know what PJ will do here.

This all of course if we see any inter county action at all

JMR46 wrote: »
    I see Gary Sice is back in the Galway squad. With a short season he could make some sort of impact. Thoughts?

As mentioned by some of ye already the biggest problem Galway are going to have is replacing John Daly at centre back, very hard to know what PJ will do here.

This all of course if we see any inter county action at all

Strange one hitting for 36 years of age and the pace of inter county now . Having said all that he could be a cool head to bring on with 10 or 15 min to go in a game that’s in the melting pot . Defo wouldn’t see him starting games . I hope it works well but it kind of reminds me of the time ja came back around 2006 was it ?? Just hope in ends better!

spurshero wrote:
    Strange one hitting for 36 years of age and the pace of inter county now . Having said all that he could be a cool head to bring on with 10 or 15 min to go in a game that’s in the melting pot . Defo wouldn’t see him starting games . I hope it works well but it kind of reminds me of the time ja came back around 2006 was it ?? Just hope in ends better!

All I know from Gary Sice is he isn't going in there to scratch his h**e. He will expect to start. And he will push those around him to be better than they are. That level of determination can only be a plus. As to whether he can get time it's hard to know. We don't lack for forwards really. Try him at six maybe. I always thought he was an excellent half back in the De Paor style of a half back.

Pace might not be as much an issue this year as the ground will be sh!t. Power and ability to handle ball in bad conditions is probably preferable. He has both in spades.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Pace might not be as much an issue this year as the ground will be sh!t. Power and ability to handle ball in bad conditions is probably preferable. He has both in spades.

Intelligence as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Good point. In his last two years where he wasn't getting a run in championship, he was still very effective in league games. And obviously stands out regularly for Corofin in late season games. Will apply mostly for the league. Realistically Galway will only have one major championship game on a possible slow pitch, the Connacht final, assuming Sligo game goes as planned.

Just to be clear I wasn’t in anyways trying to knock gary sice who has had a fabulous career in case anybody thought I was

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

What Gary Sice has scored for Corofin so far in this years club championship, 0-11 7fs 1M. Brought back more for experience and leadership on and off the field than scores it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Sice is an unreal leader. One of the few lads from our not so distant mid 00's-mid 10's slump who was well able to handle himself off the ball. You can never have enough leaders and in fairness we've probably less than a handful of lads on the current football panel who can rise all round them. Can only see having another wise aul head being beneficial.

Even though the legs are gone he still had super positional sense against Salthill to put the fear into poor Lavelle from kickouts.

All that being said I'd still be very surprised to see intercounty season lasting too long if it proceeds in the next few weeks.

• Advertisement

Cortoon Shamrocks statement doesn't make for good reading. County board continue to fail time after time.

Advertisement