Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Cortoon Shamrocks statement doesn't make for good reading. County board continue to fail time after time.

I’m embarrassed for Dunmore reading that. Themselves and the county board have disgraced themselves with this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Cortoon Shamrocks statement doesn't make for good reading. County board continue to fail time after time.

https://galwaybayfm.ie/sports/statement-from-cortoon-shamrocks-gaa-club/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Dunmore are some shower as well not agreeing to the Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Dunmore are some shower as well not agreeing to the Wednesday.

Because dunmore had a player unavailable for Wednesday night.
    Typical county board stunt, wont make a decision and then the clubs end up looking bad

Because dunmore had a player unavailable for Wednesday night.
    Typical county board stunt, wont make a decision and then the clubs end up looking bad

Then put it on the Thursday. No way should a player miss a game in circumstances like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Then put it on the Thursday. No way should a player miss a game in circumstances like this.

I agree it should be on the following weekend but that wasn't an option giving to the clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Between this and the Beagh situation you're county board is having a PR disaster of late...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Do you continue calling off games every time this arises then like the hurling last weekend and possibly never finish the competition? Intercounty will continue on without the player. That is going to become the norm now.

Senior Football management likely to be putting pressure on to get Shane Walsh back and not open to delays also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭threeball

Between this and the Beagh situation you're county board is having a PR disaster of late...

When has our CB ever been anything but a disaster, PR or otherwise. Must be one of the worst run in the country. Constantly failing clubs and county alike. Completely devoid of leadership.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭mjp

DVDM93 wrote: »

More to this story than what is being quoted by Cortoon. Adrian Varley carrying an injury and loosing fitness race for last week's game and Cortoon pulled the covid card to get game called off. This is a situation that is going to get messy for gaa across the country as relegation matches and finals coming up and it's a situation that clubs will use to their benefit if they can. Similar situation happened in Dublin hurling a number of weeks ago with clan na gael fontenoy forfeiting a junior hurling game against ballyboden due to concerns over their players safety. Club PRO out with a bid winded statement criticising authorities and other club but this was the second time they had pulled this card and Dublin co board weren't buying their excuse.

Be interesting if Adrian Varley appears for Cortoon tomorrow as he will be a massive loss to them.

• Advertisement

mjp wrote: »
    More to this story than what is being quoted by Cortoon. Adrian Varley carrying an injury and loosing fitness race for last week's game and Cortoon pulled the covid card to get game called off. This is a situation that is going to get messy for gaa across the country as relegation matches and finals coming up and it's a situation that clubs will use to their benefit if they can. Similar situation happened in Dublin hurling a number of weeks ago with clan na gael fontenoy forfeiting a junior hurling game against ballyboden due to concerns over their players safety. Club PRO out with a bid winded statement criticising authorities and other club but this was the second time they had pulled this card and Dublin co board weren't buying their excuse.

Be interesting if Adrian Varley appears for Cortoon tomorrow as he will be a massive loss to them.

There is always more to these stories but you rarely get the other side of them alright. The intercounty games will continue even if a player/players goes down with Covid and the majority of panel only classified as casual contacts. Why people don't think this will apply with club is surprising. There is going to be a trade off between prioritising getting the competition finished and players missing games due to Covid.

The question is should a club player miss a game due to be a close contact? People above muddying the water by using the term casual contact.

Now I'm sure they didn't make up the covid ase as a poster above seems to be implying.

I've no skin in Galway GAA just think fairness should be used in this case.

The question is should a club player miss a game due to be a close contact? People above muddying the water by using the term casual contact.

Now I'm sure they didn't make up the covid ase as a poster above seems to be implying.

I've no skin in Galway GAA just think fairness should be used in this case.

Ya I don't know the answer to that question. Do you hold it all up and risk the competition not being finished out? If the virus is going to be here for next year or so then some hard decisions will need to be made and intercounty already have. Game goes on and if yer a close contact you miss out. Is it fair to the other 2 clubs left in the competition that it gets held up and put back to the new year?

Also, its strange that the hurling games are being called off due to Covid but football one isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

It's a very strange situation. Rules are rules and I can completely see the Dunmore pov. Imagine in any other country preparing for a certain date and then being expected to change that date because of another teams inconvenience.

However, 90% of people will side with Cortoon and it does go against this mythical 'spirit' of the GAA. Is it worth it for Dunmore to have all this bad feeling against them for the foreseeable.

In an age of strong opinions, no idea what's right or wrong here

Ya I don't know the answer to that question. Do you hold it all up and risk the competition not being finished out? If the virus is going to be here for next year or so then some hard decisions will need to be made and intercounty already have. Game goes on and if yer a close contact you miss out. Is it fair to the other 2 clubs left in the competition that it gets held up and put back to the new year?

Also, its strange that the hurling games are being called off due to Covid but football one isn't.

I'm involved in underage in a different county. For championship different scenarios regarding close contact etc was layed out before we started. A club having players considered close contacts were expected to fulfill group fixtures. However at semi/final stage clubs weren't expected to field without players due to being a close contsct. Games were to be held at the next available date when close contacts weren't ruling people out of games. Didn't come to pass but was clearly layer out before so there was no ambiguity. That was underage in a not very successful county. Just shows the shambles that the Galway county board is.

I'm involved in underage in a different county. For championship different scenarios regarding close contact etc was layed out before we started. A club having players considered close contacts were expected to fulfill group fixtures. However at semi/final stage clubs weren't expected to field without players due to being a close contsct. Games were to be held at the next available date when close contacts weren't ruling people out of games. Didn't come to pass but was clearly layer out before so there was no ambiguity. That was underage in a not very successful county. Just shows the shambles that the Galway county board is.

Thats why I'm confused with the hurling games getting called off due to Covid cases and the football not. The hurling side of things tend to be much better run generally but ud imagine position would be same overall regarding postponements. And I'd wager the football management have serious pressure on for the intermediate final to be played as soon as possible with Walshs involvement.

Thats why I'm confused with the hurling games getting called off due to Covid cases and the football not. The hurling side of things tend to be much better run generally but ud imagine position would be same overall regarding postponements. And I'd wager the football management have serious pressure on for the intermediate final to be played as soon as possible with Walshs involvement.

What do you mean by hurling games getting called off and football not. Both hurling and football games were called off last weekend.
    The issue with Cortoon is that they have used the covid case as a means to delay match to allow main player and intercounty forward additional time to recover from an injury. If that is the case which is hard to prove the book should be thrown at them and hope they get what they deserve and loose out tomorrow. This shouldn't be upto galway gaa. Croke park should give guidance on when a match can go ahead and when not. If it's just one player from team connected and with it so prevalent now I feel that a match should go ahead. Games should only be called off if there's multiple players involved

What do you mean by hurling games getting called off and football not. Both hurling and football games were called off last weekend.
    The issue with Cortoon is that they have used the covid case as a means to delay match to allow main player and intercounty forward additional time to recover from an injury. If that is the case which is hard to prove the book should be thrown at them and hope they get what they deserve and loose out tomorrow. This shouldn't be upto galway gaa. Croke park should give guidance on when a match can go ahead and when not. If it's just one player from team connected and with it so prevalent now I feel that a match should go ahead. Games should only be called off if there's multiple players involved

Apologies, the football was called off last week. I was thinking of the Senior hurling relegation final being called off this week due to Covid hence the comparison.

OK, fair enough if the player in question is injured....but if the Covid issue is also genuine then surely it doesn't matter? I presume there is no way Cortoon would go this public unless it was?

Croke Park guidance surely is to go ahead if applying same rule to intercounty?

So Varley is lying about the close contact is that what you’re saying? That’s a pretty serious allegation. Is there any proof of this?

h2005 wrote: »
    So Varley is lying about the close contact is that what you’re saying? That’s a pretty serious allegation. Is there any proof of this?

I'm going on what the word on the street is that there is more to the story than what Cortoon statement says. Don't know the ins and outs of case but as often the case we only hear one side of story. People are naive to think that the covid situation is being abused by clubs to their advantage as happening all over the country in what will be a messy situation for Gaa.

• Advertisement

I'm going on what the word on the street is that there is more to the story than what Cortoon statement says. Don't know the ins and outs of case but as often the case we only hear one side of story. People are naive to think that the covid situation is being abused by clubs to their advantage as happening all over the country in what will be a messy situation for Gaa.

Sounds like complete horsesh1t if you don't mind me saying. Firstly this close contact was supposed to be from school so it would be very easy to prove if covid was an issue there. Its a tiny school. Secondly if they were lying, why name varley and put him in the spotlight. There was no pressure to name any player as people have a right to privacy. Much easier put it on a much lower profile player and not a bloody school teacher if you're going to concoct a story like this. It defies all logic to take a route like you're suggesting happened.

Word on the street or Dunmore/County board spin. It’s a bit ****ty to be posting accusations about a lad with 0 proof.

So the word on the street is that Cortoon made up a covid case so that an injured player could be connected to them as a close contact and thus have a game delayed? Never heard such rubbish in all my life.

Assuming these people have the financial records that show where the money was transferred to the parents of the child in his class so that they could be used in such a way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Cortoon 2-09 0-11 Dunmore FT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

Is that Ballyboden selector Kenny Naughton, the former Galway panelist from Ballinasloe?

Mountbellew look to have finally shaken off the Corofin hoodoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Galway semi final result.

Mountbellew/Moylough 2-13 Corofin 0-12. Corofin first county club defeat for 8 years. Famous win for Mountbellew/Moylough who was 6/1 to win that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Fantastic for M/M. No issue with Corofin but it's good for Galway football for a change. If only Cappy could of got over their semi final hoodoo. Next weekend should be two great games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Great win for Mountbellew. They played brilliant stuff. Was at the county final 2 years ago and didn't want them to win with the way they set up. One of the most defensive displays I ever saw from a team which has some good forwards. However, today they attacked Corofin at the right times. Finnerty & Kelly caused all sorts of problems. Their goal came at the ideal time in the 2nd half and was a bit lucky. But they really kicked on from there.

They will be favourites in the final now. But Moycullen will be a tough match for them.

• Advertisement

Will TG4 carry the finals next weekend?

Advertisement