Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

threeball wrote: »
    A serious punishment will have to come in to both codes. The cynicism is gone to hell. Games being decided every week now with cynical fouls. We were brutal but I hate seeing sport being decided by cheating.

Serious punishment is one thing but that's not much good to the team that's been knocked out as a result of the foul.
    Unless something like a penalty goal is introduced (like the penalty try in Rugby) I don't see the problem going away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,152 ✭✭✭threeball

The standard of decision making by the galway player while on the ball is shocking .
    To many players on galways team ARE NOT UP TO COUNTY STANDARD .
    When these players get on the ball they panic .
    Padraic Joyce never gave the ball away cheaply when he played , but you can't coach class and that's what's missing in this galway side .

Looks more like class cant coach to me. There is no game plan, no shape, no pressing, no plan on kickouts. Its just really poor. Our players or no worse than Mayos, probably better in a lot of cases but playing in a chaotic situation. Corofin show you dont need superstars to be really effective

Serious punishment is one thing but that's not much good to the team that's been knocked out as a result of the foul.
    Unless something like a penalty goal is introduced (like the penalty try in Rugby) I don't see the problem going away.

Extend the D. Any black card offence inside the D is a penalty. Anything outside advances the ball 50m. Soon cut out the ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭KIB4Life

A serious punishment will have to come in to both codes. The cynicism is gone to hell. Games being decided every week now with cynical fouls. We were brutal but I hate seeing sport being decided by cheating.

Yeah absolutely but also we need an improvement on refs, ye were blackguarded by the ref, Higgins lied on top of Silke and somehow it was a free to Mayo, but it’s no surprise given it was Sean Hurson he referred the Clare Vs Mayo game in 2017 and let Mayo away with murder that day and he won them the game in the end really, why did he make Galway retake the sideline ball when it Sice had given a great pass inside and there was a scoring chance on for Galway if he let play go on, but it’s clear from his performance that he didn’t want Galway to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Please god move on PJ. Hasnt a clue what hes doing.
    You wait until the 73rd minute to press a kickout which should be standard.
    They lost both of them for a reason.

Watched enough years of this kind of headless football now.

Stoppit PJ hasn't a clue?? give over, we won most of the ball around the middle, it was our decision making and ball handling up front that done for us. Conroy, Walshe, Kelly, Power all were decent. Bad decision for Sice to come out of retirement... Headless football bit harsh imv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Are we seriously blaming the ref? I think a bit of introspection is needed. We were ****e! I can’t see Mayo going any further either if they just managed to scrape past us

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Looks more like class cant coach to me. There is no game plan, no shape, no pressing, no plan on kickouts. Its just really poor. Our players or no worse than Mayos, probably better in a lot of cases but playing in a chaotic situation. Corofin show you dont need superstars to be really effective

As in a lot of sports it's up to the player to perform when they cross the white line .
    A coach can only do so much .
    The greats in all sports don't depend on coaches.
    To many of this galway side are just not up to it .
    They get found out just like mayo will get found out later in championship .

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Very frustrating. A lot of stupid errors cost them ultimately.

Powers performance was probably the biggest plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Robert2014

Good to know some things never change. Galway teams and a 1 point loss, consistency in a world gone mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

If comer wasn’t fit enough to start he shouldn’t have been brought on. It smacked of desperation. That one is on PJ

• Advertisement

As in a lot of sports it's up to the player to perform when they cross the white line .
    A coach can only do so much .
    The greats in all sports don't depend on coaches.
    To many of this galway side are just not up to it .
    They get found out just like mayo will get found out later in championship .

The players don't decide to concede the kickouts. The players don't decide to go every man for himself on kickouts. The players don't decide how the team structures attacks. Blaming the players when the deficiencies in this area are so glaringly obvious is as clueless as the coaching it defends.
    Handling mistakes or poor options are on the players but the platform has to be there to work from. U16 teams would have a better structure.

h2005 wrote: »
    Are we seriously blaming the ref? I think a bit of introspection is needed. We were ****e! I can’t see Mayo going any further either if they just managed to scrape past us

No but he was brutally biased. I said earlier I wasn't sure if I wanted them to win due to the beating we'd take later in the competition. That said a ref shouldn't be partisan. This lad hadn't a clue. 5 pushes in the back, tackles that were frees for mayo but not for galway. Mayo defender lying on the galway attacker after he lost the kickout and giving a free to mayo. Terrible reffing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

h2005 wrote:

Blaming the ref no. But sometimes a couple of decisions go your way and turn a one point loss into a one point win.

Power make two great stops. But comfortable on the ball. Hopefully now he can cement the number one spot.

Sean Kelly is the real deal. Mulkerrins can be happy with his first year. Liam Silke. Just not for me at the moment. Molloy was good when he came on hopefully another one that can get a run in the team. John Daly back will be huge.

Did ok around the middle but Ronan Steede should of been taken off again. Hopeless.

PC was brilliant again. Michael Daly frustratingly poor again. Paul Kelly did well especially for a guy sprung this late in the year.

Ian Burke frustrating. Dessie looked lively but didn't do enough.

At the end of the day for me missing

John Daly
    Tom Flynn
    Adrian Varley
    Eamon Brannigan
    And a half fit Damo

Along with no match against Sligo and didn't get much rub of the green put paid to Galway today. Turnovers and coughing up a lot of simple possession was hard to stomach.

The players don't decide to concede the kickouts. The players don't decide to go every man for himself on kickouts. The players don't decide how the team structures attacks. Blaming the players when the deficiencies in this area are so glaringly obvious is as clueless as the coaching it defends.
    Handling mistakes or poor options are on the players but the platform has to be there to work from. U16 teams would have a better structure.

To many of today's players are OVERCOACHED.
    The skill levels in Gaelic football are woeful .
    The amount of players that can't kick pass a ball over 20 yards is shocking.
    It's all hand pass and most of it is going sideways .
    The 2 best scores today came from the most natural footballer on the field ( Shane walsh ) .
    To many mediocre players with way to much information been given to them and on the day their heads burst .

To many of today's players are OVERCOACHED.
    The skill levels in Gaelic football are woeful .
    The amount of players that can't kick pass a ball over 20 yards is shocking.
    It's all hand pass and most of it is going sideways .
    The 2 best scores today came from the most natural footballer on the field ( Shane walsh ) .
    To many mediocre players with way to much information been given to them and on the day their heads burst .

So your solution is to let these mediocre players go out and fend for themselves with no gameplan? I sorry but you couldn't get any more cliches in a post if you tried. All scores count the same weather they're curled in from the sideline 50m out or if they are punched over from 13m. We don't get points for difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

No but he was brutally biased. I said earlier I wasn't sure if I wanted them to win due to the beating we'd take later in the competition. That said a ref shouldn't be partisan. This lad hadn't a clue. 5 pushes in the back, tackles that were frees for mayo but not for galway. Mayo defender lying on the galway attacker after he lost the kickout and giving a free to mayo. Terrible reffing.

What about Conroy staying on the field after his hit on AOS in the first half?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

To be honest I thought we could be well beaten this morning. In the end they could easily have nicked it in the last 6 or 7 minutes there. Daly missed a sitter. Walsh missed the two frees. Kelly taken out of it bearing down on goal. Before that Hurson gave Mayo a ridiculous free out when Higgins hopped on the back of a Galway forward after a poor kick out from Clarke.

They suffered with no game for 4 weeks though. Awful sloppy in possession. Kicked a pile of ball away. It took them a half of football to get up to speed. They really stuck at it though so credit to them in that regard. They'll be sick though because it was there for them in the end.

Sean Kelly was superb throughout. Shane Walsh kicked some glorious points but in the first half even he kicked a lot of ball away needlessly.

Hopefully get John Daly, Cooke, a couple others and a fully fit Comer back for next year.

What about Conroy staying on the field after his hit on AOS in the first half?

Jesus ye are making a huge deal about a gentle tap to head. If AOS didn't spend so much time rolling around refs might take him more seriously when he does go down.

So your solution is to let these mediocre players go oute and fend for themselves with no gameplan? I sorry but you couldn't get any more cliches in a post if you tried. All scores count the same weather they're curled in from the sideline 50m out or if they are punched over from 13m. We don't get points for difficulty.

If galway had 6 forwards with the ability of a player that can take scores like Shane walsh .... We would be looking at how many all irelands in a row we could win .
    You can't coach what he has , you can't coach what padraic Joyce had .
    The ability to take your score off both feet .
    The ability to get your head up and play an intelligent pass ... To many of galways players are just not up to it .
    A coach can only do so much ...it's down to the players .
    It's down to the same players producing it when it matters .
    In gaa ... It matters in championship .
    They get found out ... Why ??
    Not because of a coach ...
    Because they aren't and never will be up to it .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

What about the two Galway reds not given in the first half?
    Deliberate knee from Conroy and strike from Mulkerrins on Conroy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Green&Red wrote: »

Don't even know what the Mulkerrin one was meant to be. Can't remember any incident.

Conroy one there is no way to prove it was intentional unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Don't even know what the Mulkerrin one was meant to be. Can't remember any incident.

Conroy one there is no way to prove it was intentional unfortunately.

Convenient

Maybe when Galway are giving out about the ref they should take everything into account

If galway had 6 forwards with the ability of a player that can take scores like Shane walsh .... We would be looking at how many all irelands in a row we could win .
    You can't coach what he has , you can't coach what padraic Joyce had .
    The ability to take your score off both feet .
    The ability to get your head up and play an intelligent pass ... To many of galways players are just not up to it .
    A coach can only do so much ...it's down to the players .
    It's down to the same players producing it when it matters .
    In gaa ... It matters in championship .
    They get found out ... Why ??
    Not because of a coach ...
    Because they aren't and never will be up to it .

If my auntie had balls... What team has ever had or ever will have 6 forwards of the talent of Walsh. We're lucky we have one, most have none but they're pushing for All irelands while we're struggling with getting over the line against division 2 teams and serving up the crap we saw today, especially in the first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭cosatron

Is john divilly still involved. He wasnt on the line since covid. We really missed john Daly today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Barlett

Jesus ye are making a huge deal about a gentle tap to head. If AOS didn't spend so much time rolling around refs might take him more seriously when he does go down.

Ah give over & take off the blinkers, anyway the better team won. I’m sure we won’t have to wait long for a Galway win over Mayo again, you’ll get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Poor standard match, Mayo made hard work of winning that game and hard to see them winning an all Ireland on that performance, their forwards again not good enough, they'll be harder to beat than Galway would have been and probably get to another final where they'll lose as usual.
    Galway were lucky to be as close at the end, yet, had enough chances at the end to draw or even win the game. They had no real game plan, a lot of the players very sloppy in possession, Mayo didn't need to do a lot for some of the turnovers. It's a pity the Sligo game didn't go ahead as it might have cut out some of the rustiness Galway showed in the first half in particular.

Galway have the makings of a decent team if they can move the back faster to the forwards and cut out the sloppy play, but, a great opportunity lost to get to an all Ireland final now that Kerry are gone out of the way.

Barlett wrote:
    Ah give over & take off the blinkers, anyway the better team won. I’m sure we won’t have to wait long for a Galway win over Mayo again, you’ll get over it.

No blinkers. I like to think I call it as is. What Conroy did was petty. But it wasn't a red. He simply walked over AOS and his knee caught him on the face. Even if the ref say it I think it's only a yellow. But hey that's just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Barlett

No blinkers. I like to think I call it as is. What Conroy did was petty. But it wasn't a red. He simply walked over AOS and his knee caught him on the face. Even if the ref say it I think it's only a yellow. But hey that's just my opinion.

Well we will have to agree to disagree!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭Robson99

What about Diarmuid o Connors strike. Or Ruane taking out McDaid. Ye better hope he get that ref the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭Robson99

What about Diarmuid o Connors strike. Or Ruane taking out McDaid. Ye better hope ye get that ref the next day.

Advertisement