Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Don't even know what the Mulkerrin one was meant to be. Can't remember any incident.

Conroy one there is no way to prove it was intentional unfortunately.

Mulkerrins was caught on camera giving a little puck into Tommy Conroy's face after he gave away a free. Very clear action of hand going back and then into his face.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Robson99 wrote: »
    What about Diarmuid o Connors strike. Or Ruane taking out McDaid. Ye better hope ye get that ref the next day.

You ignored it on the Mayo thread when you posted this

What strike are you imagining?

Jesus ye are making a huge deal about a gentle tap to head. If AOS didn't spend so much time rolling around refs might take him more seriously when he does go down.

Could easily say Galway folk are making a huge deal about a simple foul 20 yards from goal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭Robson99

You can never tell whether a mayo player is ever injured or not as every time they are tackled there on the ground rolling or holding their head. And most Refs have copped onto this.
    Just a pity today's ref wasn't much above a Junior C ref

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭Robson99

Green&Red wrote: »
    You ignored it on the Mayo thread when you posted this

What strike are you imagining?

Look back on the game again and you will see it. It's nothing new for DOC. You mustn't have watched the game if you missed those two incidents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Been a depressing weekend. Last night we were the better side for most the game but when it mattered we were overrun.

Today we were 2nd best for most the contest but still had the chances to rescue a result. Let's be honest the game could easily have been done by half time. Mayo usually leave the door open for most teams so we got our chances but all in all it was depressing stuff. Against a ruthless team we would have been destroyed. I dont think Mayo will beat Dublin and Cork might even fancy their chances but to me they're a side that's transitioning a lot better than I expected between old and new. They've found at least one proper forward in Conroy.

In the spring I thought we were maybe turning a corner but it's very obvious we just dont have the quality. I dont think Dublin would take any of our players in their starting 15 maybe Walsh and one or two others in the subs. Fair play to Paul Conroy he's one of the few to stand up and be counted since the restart but when hes one of our top men it tells it's own story.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,152 ✭✭✭threeball

Been a depressing weekend. Last night we were the better side for most the game but when it mattered we were overrun.

Today we were 2nd best for most the contest but still had the chances to rescue a result. Let's be honest the game could easily have been done by half time. Mayo usually leave the door open for most teams so we got our chances but all in all it was depressing stuff. Against a ruthless team we would have been destroyed. I dont think Mayo will beat Dublin and Cork might even fancy their chances but to me they're a side that's transitioning a lot better than I expected between old and new. They've found at least one proper forward in Conroy.

In the spring I thought we were maybe turning a corner but it's very obvious we just dont have the quality. I dont think Dublin would take any of our players in their starting 15 maybe Walsh and one or two others in the subs. Fair play to Paul Conroy he's one of the few to stand up and be counted since the restart but when hes one of our top men it tells it's own story.

Bit unfair on Conroy, he's a super footballer and was a stand out player in the club championships also. Walsh is in the conversation for best player in the country and Sean Kelly is a superb player. We have some standouts and we have alot of decent players in other positions but they're all just going out playing in a team that seems like it has no plan on how to react to the different aspects of the game.

We're 5 or 6 years looking at our team kicking 50/50 balls out from kickouts under KW and nothing has changed there. We also sat back for years and invited teams on. Did the same again today. Our counterattacks were ponderous under KW, much improved in the league before lockdown then inexplicably back to the old style once the league restarted. Conceding short kickouts is another one.

We don't have the best 15 in the country but we do have enough to give even the best teams a good rattle if we were organised correctly. Today reminded me of the CF where Roscommon had a big breeze in the first half, ran up a score and we ended up chasing them to the end losing by a couple of points. In other words, not much has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Green&Red wrote:
    Could easily say Galway folk are making a huge deal about a simple foul 20 yards from goal

Tbf I don't think it will just be Galway fans mentioning that particular foul in the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

cosatron wrote:
    Is john divilly still involved. He wasnt on the line since covid. We really missed john Daly today.

Divo is still there. He's in the stands due to the restrictions of people allowed on the sideline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Absolutely sickening weekend. Don't want to watch any highlights tonight of either match but in fairness Mayo should've been home and hosed before half-time but for charitable amount of misses, with special thanks to Cillian O'Connor for his usual selflessness.

Must be said though that for a lad that was absolutely slated by our own supporters last year that Bernie Power was very good today. Even his kickouts were accurate but for the mostpart our midfield were losing that battle for large spells. Thought Conroy and Sean Kelly worked their bollocks off all day too, we'd certainly have been bet out the gate but for the former's leadership.

Wouldn't put too much blame on Walsh's door. He's clearly not fully right but he hit some fantastic scores in that second half.

• Advertisement

Robson99 wrote: »
    Look back on the game again and you will see it. It's nothing new for DOC. You mustn't have watched the game if you missed those two incidents

So nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭spurshero

Green&Red wrote: »
    So nothing?

Why don’t ya go back to yer own forum . There’s only One thing worse then a bad loser and that’s a bad winner

Very harsh on Conroy . An all Ireland winning minor captain and a class player . He hasn’t had the players around him that a fallon Joyce or savage had plus has had a few bad injuries . To be playing the way he has all year he deserves credit for it not to be half knocked .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

spurshero wrote: »
    Very harsh on Conroy . An all Ireland winning minor captain and a class player . He hasn’t had the players around him that a fallon Joyce or savage had plus has had a few bad injuries . To be playing the way he has all year he deserves credit for it not to be half knocked .

*Think* he meant that it's not good that a man of his seniority and years still has to be one of our best players and go-to men, instead of younger players taking up the slack.

Now might be as good a time as any for mgmt to have a big clear-out of the panel and maybe build something with the focus on a few years down the road. For the likes of Heaney, GOD, Bradshaw, Flynn, (don't think Sice will really give it another year), good and honest servants though they've been, maybe it's time to move them on. Silke at a crossroads, unable to reproduce club form at county level. Ml. Daly hasn't the pace for top level football and won't survive because he won't work hard enough or score enough. McDaid, Brannigan, even Ian Burke not improving. Perhaps it's time to raid the underage lines a bit more and give the best of them a few years to establish themselves. Don't know if PJ is the man, or would have the patience for that however. Strikes me that he wants to 'shortcut' to success.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

MfMan wrote: »
    *Think* he meant that it's not good that a man of his seniority and years still has to be one of our best players and go-to men, instead of younger players taking up the slack.

Now might be as good a time as any for mgmt to have a big clear-out of the panel and maybe build something with the focus on a few years down the road. For the likes of Heaney, GOD, Bradshaw, Flynn, (don't think Sice will really give it another year), good and honest servants though they've been, maybe it's time to move them on. Silke at a crossroads, unable to reproduce club form at county level. Ml. Daly hasn't the pace for top level football and won't survive because he won't work hard enough or score enough. McDaid, Brannigan, even Ian Burke not improving. Perhaps it's time to raid the underage lines a bit more and give the best of them a few years to establish themselves. Don't know if PJ is the man, or would have the patience for that however. Strikes me that he wants to 'shortcut' to success.

Tom Flynn is 28, do you think its time to move him on?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

I think he may mean something other than age as Johnny Heaney is listed there too & he's only 26.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Joyce tried a lot of young lads this year. From the top of my head, from lasts years U20 team: Mulkerrin, Costello, Barrett, D. Silke, Campbell, M. Tierney all experienced inter county action during this year's league. He also gave opportunities to other young-ish lads like Finnerty, Conneely, Foley, Maher that may not have got many chances previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Extremely disappointed with both results but at least the hurlers have another chance.
    There are huge positives to take from the year for the footballers. PJ has developed a very good squad and when you look at the lads who have to come back, especially John Daly and hopefully Cooke (best player in Limerick last year) then next year should be interesting. After all, the new season will be starting very soon. Fully fit lads like Shane and Comer, as well as Steede who was flying it earlier in the year will make a difference. And anyone calling for PJ to go will ye ever cop on. His first year in the job and I thought he did astounding. Ya we didn't play the way we were pre lockdown but it's tough. Lads shouting from the sidelines on here need a reality check. I'm really hopeful for next year.

Can anyone tell me is Paul Kelly ruled out of the u20 final now if it goes ahead? My understanding was anyone who played senior championship was unavailable for selection. Young Tierney only played league so was still elegible.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

MfMan wrote: »

My guess is only Bradshaw and Sice will retire (Sice for the second time). Maybe O'Donnell as well but he might have another year in him yet.

Hopefully Conroy stays on. He's playing as well as ever so I see no reason why he won't carry on if he wants to.

The injuries we picked up (Comer, J Daly, Steede, Flynn) in between the league stopping and starting again really killed any momentum we had. I think we can make a good fist of next year with all those fit again and hopefully Cooke back as well. I think 3 or 4 of the U-20's should see game time as well next year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

I'm not sure; he's been a sterling servant and great trier, no doubt about that, but he's no Brian Fenton. I don't think he's the player to be building a team around going forward.

Next year, it will be 20 years since we've reached an AI final, by far our longest spell in the wilderness - and only one semi-final too in the meantime. Not good enough for a county of our stature and traditional ability to produce stronger teams on a regular basis. We were beaten yesterday by a Mayo team that is in itself in semi-transition, with a good blend of younger players challenging for places. The current older hands for us have tried hard but have consistently hit a performance ceiling, so to repeat, it's as good a time as any to go hard with a predominantly younger squad. It will probably take a minimum of 2 years to achieve concrete results with these. Not in any way suggesting PJ should be moved on, but I have a feeling he could be a 'get rich quick' type manager, rather than one in it for the longer haul.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Why don’t ya go back to yer own forum . There’s only One thing worse then a bad loser and that’s a bad winner

It's not about being a bad loser or a bad winner. He's responding to a post in which another poster accused Diarmuid O'Connor of punching one of the Galway players. When that poster was asked to give details so that we could all view this punch, the answer was to go back and watch the almost 80 minutes of the match again and find it themselves. It was very easy to find Paul Conroys knee in the head and the other guys sly dig into Tommy Conroys face. Why not just give the details of DOCs alleged punch. The reason being; that he made it up.
    So there was nothing about being a bad winner. But there are definately many sore losers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

macslash wrote: »
    Extremely disappointed with both results but at least the hurlers have another chance.
    There are huge positives to take from the year for the footballers. PJ has developed a very good squad and when you look at the lads who have to come back, especially John Daly and hopefully Cooke (best player in Limerick last year) then next year should be interesting. After all, the new season will be starting very soon. Fully fit lads like Shane and Comer, as well as Steede who was flying it earlier in the year will make a difference. And anyone calling for PJ to go will ye ever cop on. His first year in the job and I thought he did astounding. Ya we didn't play the way we were pre lockdown but it's tough. Lads shouting from the sidelines on here need a reality check. I'm really hopeful for next year.

Can anyone tell me is Paul Kelly ruled out of the u20 final now if it goes ahead? My understanding was anyone who played senior championship was unavailable for selection. Young Tierney only played league so was still elegible.

Pretty sure that rule changed due to the lockdown and stuff this year, so he is still able to play the U20 final

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

I think there's a bit of myth out there about just how deep the talent pool is in Galway. In 2018 Eoghan Kerin and Sean Andy were both nominated for all stars and they seem to be practically finished now with Kerin the elder statesman at either 26 or 27 years old. Have Galway really that many defenders that we can be chucking quality players on the scrapheap so quickly?
    Ò Ceallaigh was bad against Mayo in the league but he got zero protection from further out the field compared to the support Mulkerrins got yesterday. Kerin might be a spiteful git of a player to watch but he's our spiteful git and a dog of a defender is no bad thing to have in a team.

I did give him credit for this year he dragged us along in the last couple of games and it's a credit to him but let's be honest hes not a top bracket player even with good players around him yet he's been one of our go to men for the guts of a decade.

Full credit to him and the older lads for staying going when its be easy to walk away but Mayo are phasing out a lot of the older lads who were top quality players we are bringing average older players back in. The pool of talent in Galway isn't big enough if the likes of Bradshaw, Sice, O'Donnell are still important players in the squad.

We have had a few unfortunate injuries but that just serves to highlight the lack of depth.

We need to see this through with Padraig Joyce because where next do we go otherwise. There was progress in the spring and you'd hope he has learned a lot from the year.

Our underage has improved in recent years so hopefully that will filter through but all our players need to start seeing it as the be all and end all playing for Galway. I'm sure 90-95% of them do but as referenced by Finian Hanley in build up to the game about his time, theres always lads who go out on the tear in the lead up to important games and the same stuff has happened with certain players in the last year or two as well.

I don't envy anyone making the commitment to inter county but if you are doing it you need to be 100% committed. Looking at the physical shape and tactical setup the top sides are in football and hurling I just dont see our football setup being anyway near as professional as it needs to be.

I did give him credit for this year he dragged us along in the last couple of games and it's a credit to him but let's be honest hes not a top bracket player even with good players around him yet he's been one of our go to men for the guts of a decade.

Full credit to him and the older lads for staying going when its be easy to walk away but Mayo are phasing out a lot of the older lads who were top quality players we are bringing average older players back in. The pool of talent in Galway isn't big enough if the likes of Bradshaw, Sice, O'Donnell are still important players in the squad.

We have had a few unfortunate injuries but that just serves to highlight the lack of depth.

We need to see this through with Padraig Joyce because where next do we go otherwise. There was progress in the spring and you'd hope he has learned a lot from the year.

Our underage has improved in recent years so hopefully that will filter through but all our players need to start seeing it as the be all and end all playing for Galway. I'm sure 90-95% of them do but as referenced by Finian Hanley in build up to the game about his time, theres always lads who go out on the tear in the lead up to important games and the same stuff has happened with certain players in the last year or two as well.

I don't envy anyone making the commitment to inter county but if you are doing it you need to be 100% committed. Looking at the physical shape and tactical setup the top sides are in football and hurling I just dont see our football setup being anyway near as professional as it needs to be.

So if Conroy is not top bracket who exactly is ?hes being exceptional all year . We are dealing in the here and now . And known him personally I can tell you he has given 100 percent this year . He could not be in better shape .

For me only Walsh is top bracket. I define top bracket as players who Dublin would consider picking from your team. If you think Conroy is top bracket that's fair enough. I never questioned his commitment or shape this year. He clearly had put in the work over lockdown.

To me he's been better this year than other years mainly due to no football being played in good conditions. The slower pace of winter football suits him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Why do galway hurlers not score goals?

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mjp

I don't envy anyone making the commitment to inter county but if you are doing it you need to be 100% committed. Looking at the physical shape and tactical setup the top sides are in football and hurling I just dont see our football setup being anyway near as professional as it needs to be.[/quote]

Listen here now. Who the hell are you or any of us here to question the commitment of our players and to make sweeping statements that they aren't 100% committed to the cause. You can give out about performances and tactics all you want but it is a cheap blow to incenuate that some of our players aren't giving 100% commitment.
    Some of these older players have been there for years under different managers and it's not by coincidence as all managers have trawled the club scene for new potential blood but they often go back to a lot of these players as maybe their the best of what's available. They are the ones that see these seasoned campaigners and the fresh talent you mention in trial matches and training sessions in loughgeorge and they can only pick on the form they see in these matches. Calling for a cull of a lot of our better players is a hasty reaction to a loss like yesterday. Tom Flynn for example cut off the panel without even playing yesterday is one of the more ridiculous points made. Yeah he's not brian fenton or david Moran but he's as good as we have in the county at the moment.

• Advertisement

mjp wrote: »

Listen here now. Who the hell are you or any of us here to question the commitment of our players and to make sweeping statements that they aren't 100% committed to the cause. You can give out about performances and tactics all you want but it is a cheap blow to incenuate that some of our players aren't giving 100% commitment.
    Some of these older players have been there for years under different managers and it's not by coincidence as all managers have trawled the club scene for new potential blood but they often go back to a lot of these players as maybe their the best of what's available. They are the ones that see these seasoned campaigners and the fresh talent you mention in trial matches and training sessions in loughgeorge and they can only pick on the form they see in these matches. Calling for a cull of a lot of our better players is a hasty reaction to a loss like yesterday. Tom Flynn for example cut off the panel without even playing yesterday is one of the more ridiculous points made. Yeah he's not brian fenton or david Moran but he's as good as we have in the county at the moment.[/quote]

If you read my post in full rather than cherry picking what suited you, I said 90-95% of our players give a full commitment and I dont envy any of them. Listen to Finian Hanley's interview on off the ball. That's someone within the camp for pretty much a decade.

In terms of professionalism I'd lay a huge amount of that on the county board and their inability to provide the resources to the management team that others teams have.

Advertisement